This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

What can Edge do for...

What can Edge do for...

Postby MetsDuManche » Aug 10, 2007 @ 10:24am

Hello,

I'm ready now to start my application development using Edge SDK. We are very happy with the result. But we need some functionalities that we don't know if Edge can help. Could you please tell us if the SDK may help us, or if you know about any complementary SDK we might use to get a fully functionnal application for Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms ?

- We need an XML parser, including binary data (pictures) encoded in the XML file...
- We need to control the camera from the phone, to take a picture at minimum, and access the picture file (if we could capture pictures using the video camera, it would be perfect)...
- We need a QR Code decoder...

Here are the bugs we found in actual version (tested with Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0) :

- Stylus point position is not consistent when device is in landscape mode, depending on devices. Result may be different if application changes mode while running (ie: opening the keyboard of a smartphone changes mode to landscape).
- Minimize event is not received, and this is a big problem: when a phone call is received while application is running, it doesn't minimize to let the user answer the call... And when the device stops after a while non used, then you light it on again, if you need to enter a password, you may not access the input screen, and must reset the phone...
- Some pictures are not displayed correctly with transparency (tested all formats, gif, jpeg and png). Sometimes, it works with some devices, but not all.

Extra question ...

- Can I use sprintf() function with Symbian platforms ? Or do you have an equivalent function in the SDK ? (I already use all EStd class string functions)
- I couldn't install Symbian emulators so I'm not actually able to test my application with thiese platforms. How can I do this with Visual Studio 2005 ?

Thanks very much for your help.
Jean-Michel CAMBOT
StoreXperience.com
MetsDuManche
pm Member

Postby edge » Aug 10, 2007 @ 1:48pm

Hi MetsDuManche,

Thanks for your post, let me answer your questions and remarks one by one:

* XML Parser: We are considering adding a third party XML parser to EDGELIB. Any suggestions what library to use?
* Camera access: This is also one of the things we would like to add support for. This is currently not on our roadmap yet.
* QR Code decoder: While I think this would be a useful add-on module, I don't think this would be something to add into EDGELIB.
* sprintf support: We don't have a native sprintf function in our Standard class yet. For the moment, we recommend using libc for use on both Windows Mobile and Symbian.
* Symbian emulators: To compile for the Symbian emulator you need Carbide.vs or Carbide C++. Carbide.vs needs Visual Studio 2003 (there is no support yet for Visual Studio 2005). Carbide C++ uses CodeWarrior. Emulators are automatically installed when installing the Symbian SDKs.

Our comments on the bugs you have encountered in EDGELIB:
* Stylus position: We have been working hard rewriting the complete framework of EDGELIB for the upcoming EDGELIB 3.10 release. This also includes the code that deals with the orientation and rotation of the display. Would you be interested in running the attached test application (for PPC and Smartphone_ to see what values you get on your test devices? We are really interested in your test results, as we might be able to include fixes for your devices in the upcoming release.
* Minimize event: This is something we haven't encountered ourselves. Could you send us more details, or even a minimal application for us tot test? What devices have this problem?
* Displaying images: Could you also send us the the images that won't load correctly? Please also specify the device models you test with and the results.

We are happy to hear about your suggestions for new features. Generally we take feature requests from users into consideration, but I must add that we run faster for licensees ;)

If you are willing to help us with the bugs you have encountered, please drop us a line at "support at edgelib dot com". We are more than willing to fix any problems you have with your test devices.

Thanks again!
Attachments
apptest.zip
(104.49 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
EDGELIB: Cross-platform mobile development at your fingertips
http://www.edgelib.com
edge
pm Member

Return to EDGELIB

Sort

Forum Description

Powerful and affordable C++ middleware solution covering true multi-platform 2D, 3D and network features for Apple iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian S60, UIQ, Linux and Windows desktop.

Moderator:

edge

Forum permissions