This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Hardware Acceleration

Hardware Acceleration

Postby clintsinger » Dec 4, 2006 @ 6:57pm

Hi,

I just came across GledPlay and I was wondering what its plans are for using some of the capabilities of the 2700g?

I noticed that GledVideo is able to decompress MPEG1 and MPEG2. Is it possible that it does or will use the 2700g built in hardware to support the decoding? I believe the 2700g has hardware support for MPEG2 and MPEG4.

I also read that GledPlay uses DirectDraw behind the scenes? Is this correct? Will it be able to use the video memory attached to the hardware?

Cheers,
Clint
clintsinger
pm Member

Postby Sergio » Dec 5, 2006 @ 5:00pm

Hi Clint!
Currently, all video decoding is made through software. In that way, we make sure it’s going to work in all devices. But it’s in our plans to make use of hardware accelerations (where available) for both video decoding and 2d graphics handling.
Anyway, the software decoding is optimized (fixed point only, no divisions, etc), and you’ll be able to playback full screen Theora video, while decoding and playing Vorbis sound, on slow devices (200Mhz).
Also, when Direct Draw is available, only the backbuffer surface is in Video Memory, but that’s something that’s going to change soon.
We’ve recently changed the poll in our site, asking for user requirements. One option is "Make it faster!" If you believe we should take care of these improvements, before adding new features, docs, or something else, please let us know voting there.

http://www.gledplay.com

Thank you for your feedback,
Sergio Fierens Bayo.
Sergio Fierens

Sergio
pm Member

Return to GledPlay

Sort

Forum Description

Game Engine for Embedded Devices. Simple, complete, and powerful. Focused on the game.

Moderators:

Matias, Sergio

Forum permissions