This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Pocket Quake on Casio Cassiopeia?

Pocket Quake on Casio Cassiopeia?

Postby Zanity » Jan 24, 2001 @ 5:36am

Has anyone tested this. I guess it will work, but what about the control configuration??<br><br>btw, hi and thxn for the board, site and program :) <br>You're doing great.<br>______<br>Zanity<br>Last modification: Tommy - 01/24/01 at 02:36:00
Zanity
pm Member

Re: Pocket Quake on Casio Cassiopeia?

Postby Ronny » Jan 24, 2001 @ 8:13am

PLEASE PORT IT TO THE EM-500 !!!!!<br><br>IT SHOULD WORK BETTER ON IT AS ON THE IPAQ.<br><br>THE EM-500 IS ABOUT 4 TIMES FASTER IN GRAPHICS THAN THE IPAQ.<br><br>BENCHMARK: http://www.pocketpc.cz/en/detail.shtml?ID=139<br><br><br>P L E A S E!!!!<br><br><br>RONNY
Ronny

Postby Chase » Jan 24, 2001 @ 12:01pm

Um... yes! agreed<br><br>I have an em-500, give me quake!
Chase

Postby John » Jan 24, 2001 @ 2:28pm

YES !!!!!<br><br>And on the EM-500 are no Button problems!!!!!!!<br><br><br>John
John

Postby Kevin » Jan 24, 2001 @ 2:33pm

Yeah the EM-500 Rocks!!!<br><br>For playing Quake on the EM-500 you dont need a 3rd hand like on the iPaq.<br><br><br>Kev
Kevin

Postby Aaron » Jan 24, 2001 @ 3:30pm

Hell ya! port it.. <br>I run a Casio E-115.. and would love to see<br>Quake on the casio
Aaron

Postby Tim » Jan 24, 2001 @ 4:44pm

em-500 is not faster then iPaq, not for graphics or anything else
Tim

Postby 999 » Jan 24, 2001 @ 11:54pm

This was already addressed on the old Forum before the move.<br><br>A quick summary is as follows:<br><br>Dan may have a MIPS port in SEVERAL DAYS...<br><br>There is no set date, or specifics on how well it will perform.  The iPAQ version is just barely playable, but with tweaks and such has been able to hit a nice frame rate in some areas.  This being the case, the MIPS version isn't suspected to perform at a playable frame rate.<br><br>With optimizations to the code, Dan projects hitting a higher framerate.  Hopefully, this can be applied to any planned MIPS release.<br><br><br>
pm Member

Postby Karli » Jan 25, 2001 @ 3:37am

Hey  Tim!!!<br><br>Take a look, before you write so a s**t:<br><br>VOBenchmark - test results<br>lower number is better <br><br>Graphic Total:<br>Casio EM-500: 3134<br>Casio E-115:  3148<br>Compaq iPaq: 16658<br><br>I think and if you are a little familiar with arithmetic, the EM-500 is exactly:<br>5,3152520740268028079132099553287 times in graphics faster than the iPaq!!!!!!!!!
Karli

Postby Mark (KILzt) » Jan 25, 2001 @ 7:05am

I'm sorry to say that some of you people really aren't very intelligent =):<br><br>"VOBenchmark - test results <br>lower number is better <br><br>Graphic Total: <br>Casio EM-500: 3134 <br>Casio E-115:  3148 <br>Compaq iPaq: 16658"<br><br>Since when did VOBenchmark run a 3DPolygon test? Doom=Perspective 2D Mapped into 3D (OpenGL version of Doom is converted to polygons).<br><br>Quake=True 3D Polygons, these are not properly tested by any becnhmark yet.<br><br>I honestly wish some of you would actually research your stuff before blabbing out rubbish =). Get a spec sheet for the StrongArm CPU on the iPAQ and compare to EM-500 and or E125. The Casios VR chips are well ahead in 2D and so an overclocked E125 (200Mhz) could potentially beat out an iPAQ.<br><br>However for pure 3D then the StrongARM wins out by a mile, FPU is the only current way of showing this in the VOBenchmark:<br><br>180Mhz E125 = 0.65 (FPU)<br>206Mhz iPAQ = 8.05 (iPAQ)<br><br>Despite this benchmarks DO NOT represent real world performance and current ones can't test all the 3D. Try playing Leos Flight Sim on a 200Mhz E125, or Pocket Contora’s VRML 'House' scene and compare with an iPAQ - then the differences become clear.<br><br>This is NOT a Casio vs iPAQ crap post; I own both and love them equally. An overclocked E125 is the best for Doom and Snes emulation/2D games etc., an iPAQ is best for hardcore 3D and general apps. That said and it's no slouch in 2D, just nowhere near as crisp visually on speed wise (comparative scale) to the Casios.<br><br>In other words, all Dan and 999 are saying is that it can be ported, but don't be surprised if 1FPS on an overclocked E125 (200Mhz) is all you get. They simply aren't designed for polygon processing. In fact even just 1FPS would be good; this should improve with time although I’m worried the E125 might die when trying to handle dynamic lighting (lava balls etc.), processor design seems a little iffy in that area.
Mark (KILzt)

Postby 999 » Jan 25, 2001 @ 2:09pm

Thanks for the Clarifications Killzat :)<br><br>I was wondering where this thread was headed without a Programmer's input.<br><br>Lord knows all we need is one of those blasted "mine is better than yours" threads.<br><br>:)<br>
pm Member

Postby Mark Rejhon » Jan 25, 2001 @ 5:44pm

IMPORTANT!!!!<br><br>IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT<br>The VOBenchmark graphics numbers DO NOT apply to Quake.  iPaq is faster for *DIRECT* screen writes.<br><br>Direct-screen-writes are faster on the iPaq than both the E1xx and HP54x series.  <br><br>E1xx and HP54x are faster for API-based graphics writes, by a BIG MILE!<br><br>However, the iPaq wins in the memory speed, math speed, *AND* direct graphics write speed department by a BIG MILE!<br>
Mark Rejhon

Postby Kenneth » Jan 26, 2001 @ 4:44am

I don´t know if you guys know this, but The Mips<br>processor is a 64 bit CPU.<br><br>There for we can never give an exact Benchmark<br>on the MIPS vs ARM, the PocketPC OS is a 32 bit CPU, and the Ipaq CPU is a 32 Bit.<br><br>The MIPS CPU, will never show it´s "Real" powers<br>in the case of games, etc.<br><br>If a Application/game/OS is configred to take advantage<br>of the hole CPU features, the results in 2D, 3D etc. woul´d be diffrent.<br><br>So lets give it a rest. :)<br>And lets give the "Quake Crew" some room to make a <br>MIPS version to. ;)<br><br>Best Regards<br><br>Kenneth<br><br>
Kenneth

Postby Kenneth » Jan 26, 2001 @ 5:03am

Hihih<br>sorry, I ment that Pocket PC OS, is a 32bit OS...<br><br>my english sucks... :p<br><br>/kenneth
Kenneth

Postby Mark (KILzt) » Jan 26, 2001 @ 6:52am

Kenneth,<br><br>That's a very good point and one I should have remembered, but then practical application of hardware always follows a setline. Variation means little profit because of reduced compatibility.<br><br>Don't forget that a 64Bit CPU doesn't always boost performance; it's all to do with the instruction set that surrounds the CPU. This kind of explains why a lowly PentiumMMX 233 can outdo some 64Bit Alpha CPUs.<br><br>I have a friend who is working to port the new 64Bit linux kernl to the E125 and see if it actually improves things by making full use of the CPU. It'll be interesting to see if he has any success.<br><br>The good news is that Dans newly found (although technically old) math routines will make all this talk old anyway, or at least that's what we hope. I expect that if it pays off then Casio owners will see the same performance iPAQ owners do now, perhaps a little less. While iPAQers may finally reach 8-10FPS in the high detail areas, possibly more.
Mark (KILzt)

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions