This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

@migo + quake?

@migo + quake?

Postby Matt Keys » Jan 28, 2001 @ 7:28pm

Dan, I remember reading on another board that the chances are that quake will not run on the @migo due to some ipaq specific code. Will you be porting it to the @migo? If so I will be happy to beta test for you (if i ever get my @migo!!!). I have overnight shipping so it should be here soon-ish
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Re: @migo + quake?

Postby Dan East » Jan 28, 2001 @ 9:15pm

There's a chance that it may run as-is.  That depends on the video RAM / hardware.  If not, I will make the needed mods, and you can verify that it works!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Matt Keys » Jan 28, 2001 @ 10:02pm

Dan, it is my understanding that the iPaq screen was meant to be used in landscape. so it draws the screen starting in another corner than other screens right? Is this the possible problem with running it on the @migo?
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Dan East » Jan 29, 2001 @ 8:53am

The video RAM (which is what the Game API gives the programmer direct access to) is tied to the video hardware in such a way that if the programmer modifies the first two bytes (each pixel is represented by a short, or pair of bytes), then the bottom left pixel will be modified. If the next two bytes are modified, then the pixel above the first one is modified.  Once you reach top of the display it wraps back down to the bottom, and moves one column to the right.  This is simply the way in which the video RAM must be accessed.  <br>It does not mean:<br>That drawing in landscape would in any way be more efficient.<br>That the iPaq actually physically updates the scanlines in the same order (it probably interlaces, etc).<br>I had postulated that since the display was made by Sony, it was probably intended to be used in landscape mode as a high-end video monitor.  Arranging the video RAM so that it corresponded with what programmers are familiar with (0,0 being the top left of the screen) would simply make things more intuitive when the display was used as originally intended. Of course I may be completely wrong. At a low level hardware can be pretty strange, "just because". :)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions