This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Will the full version of Quake work yet?

Will the full version of Quake work yet?

Postby Cyber » Jan 26, 2001 @ 1:48pm

I am now glad I held onto my Quake CD!<br>Just wanted to know if the full version works with Pocket Quake yet?<br><br>Thanks<br>Cyber
Cyber

Re: Will the full version of Quake work yet?

Postby tarkadal » Jan 26, 2001 @ 6:28pm

yes - pak1.pak Qzip from 33mb to 15MB
tarkadal

Postby Cyber » Jan 28, 2001 @ 8:30pm

I gzipped the pak1.pak wad and put it on my storage card but it did not work.<br>I get this error:<br> W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad<br><br>Please help<br>thanks<br>Cyber
Cyber

Postby Dan East » Jan 28, 2001 @ 9:19pm

You need both the pak0 and pak1 files.  The pak0 file is required to even start Quake.  The menus, fonts and other generic resources are in that file.  Also, I don't know what would happen if you mixed-and-matched, and used the shareware pak0 with the registered pak1.<br><br>999 has used the registered wads, so it does work.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Mark (KILzt) » Jan 29, 2001 @ 5:58am

Tip:<br><br>Leave the first file uncompressed on your PPC/CF if you possibly can, improves registered ver loading times as well. Registered ver levels will of course take longer to load.
Mark (KILzt)

Postby 999 » Jan 29, 2001 @ 2:49pm

I can second that.<br><br>You only really need the pak0.pak file to be uGzipped.  I still have my pak1.pak file gzipped (pak1.pak.gz) to save space on my MicroDrive.<br><br>Everything from starting up, to Menu Browsing is sped up considerably.<br><br>BTW- You can use the shareware pak file we are hosting here, along with a registered pak1.pak file to play the full game.  Odd quirk in the game, I guess as long as it finds a pak1.pak file the game becomes "registered" to an extent.<br><br>I remember in Doom, you could coax out a full version as well by removing the "shareware" from the Pak filename.  I forgot what the point of it was since you're still missing the other levels, but I reckon the same works for all id games provided you name everything correctly.  I guess it was just to play multiplayer without that "Please Register" text or something like that.<br>
pm Member

Postby rcoffey » Jan 29, 2001 @ 3:07pm

What would happen if you used a pak editor to go edit the pak file, and REMOVE all the sound effects from it?<br><br>since the game is not using the sound files, you may be able to substantially reduce the size of the file.<br><br>just a thought.
rcoffey

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 29, 2001 @ 3:12pm

Hey 999. That MicroDrive of yours, isn't that the 1GB IBM CompactFlash Card? I've been looking for one. How much did it cost? Where is the website?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Magister Ludi » Jan 29, 2001 @ 4:08pm

Is there anywhere I can D/L the pak1 wad??<br><br>I have played quake all weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it - enabling mlook was a stroke of genius, and makes the whole thing playable rather than just geewhiz - someone should do the same for Doom.<br><br>Don't look at me - this is all white man's magic as far as I'm concerned!
Magister Ludi

Postby sponge » Jan 29, 2001 @ 9:47pm

On the sound issue, one of 5 things can be done.<br><br>-Run Quake with the nosound switch, this should turn off sounds.<br><br>-Simply delete the sounds. This could cause errors when Quake wants to play the sound, from my knowledge.<br><br>-Simply remove the sound code obviously, but we don't have access to source at the moment.<br><br>-Replace all the sounds with blanks. Should work, and should decrease size a lot too.<br><br>Any of those should work.<br><br>-sponge (Slightly jealous Palm user who's planning on buying an iPaq soon ;-)
sponge

Postby sponge » Jan 29, 2001 @ 9:48pm

Erm 3 things, I didn't forget to type some stuff ;-) I can't count.
sponge

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions