This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Regarding PQ for non-iPaq Devices

Re: Regarding PQ for non-iPaq Devices

Postby Bill S » Feb 22, 2001 @ 1:50am

Doom is in fact a 3D game. The characters are bitmapped onto flat polys, but the environment is true 3D. I don't know what you guys think it is when you run down a corridor, look through a window or go up and down stairs that are texture mapped objects, but it's all 3D. Construction of Doom levels involves manipulation of basic 3D objects - not stretched 2D bitmaps. "Pseudo 3D" is where you have a very basic 3D environment (like a flat plane) with 2D characters (often pre-rendered to look 3D) laid on top of it. The only thing pseudo-3D about DOOM are its characters and the objects and enemies you find, like health kits, barrels, creatures, etc. But make no mistake, DOOM is a 3D game. Quake is a more complicated version of the same concept - it has 3D characters and more elaborate environmental geometry. That's it.<br><br>As for the iPAQ being so different from the Casio, I disagree. The CPU is different and I'm sure the way it handles code is different, but the systems access RAM in a basically similar way, have the same hardware configuration (color LCD, CF, RAM type, IR, audio, button function and controls, etc.). They cannot be so different and yet be so similar in what they do and how they do it. I think 12 times is an exaggeration for floating point functions. Besides, without trying, how do you know it won't work? <br><br>I've been developing video games for 12 years. I'm not a programmer, but I've been doing it long enough to know that if you can get something to run at all on the first pass, you can likely get it to run faster if you work at it a while. This has been true of every single 3D oriented engine I've ever worked with. If there were NO floating point emu support on the MIPS I'd have to agree - the outlook would be grim. But there is, and I doubt it's so vastly inferior as to negate trying. Sometimes, working around a deficit is part of the job... And since you're not really getting paid, I can understand why you wouldn't want to bother with it yourself. Please don't mistake my comments for lack of appreciation for the work you've done thus far. I just am a bit tired of the iHype and wish people would support the platform most people still use (MIPS). I just bought an EM-500 (upgraded from an E-100 and traded in on E-125). I didn't get this to have someone tell me it was so inferior that porting Quake was not even worth the effort.<br><br>Your Microsoft analogy is pretty weak. Microsoft updates their products because they make more money with costly updates and upgrades than improving the existing code. <br><br>Quake may be a well written program, but you're talking about an adaptation. We're not talking about optimizing it on a Pentium III 500, we're talking about optimizing it on a pocket PC. I'm sure there's a way if someone just takes a good crack at it.<br><br>b<br><br>
Bill S

Postby 999 » Feb 22, 2001 @ 3:22am

Bill S:<br><br>If you're not a programmer, aren't you just going on assumption? 8)<br><br>Sorry, I just got lost in that rant there.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:19am

Sorry for my last comment, yesterday wasn't my best day.<br><br>I Believe Casio users will experience a 3-4 fps slowdown. But we'll just have to see about that.<br>
CARPEDIEM

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 11:10am

Okay, I really can't waste further time going on with this discussion. You're saying that the iPaq and Casio are basically the same because they both have processors, and memory, and displays, and buttons and stuff. We're discussing this at an entirely different level, so continuing will accomplish nothing. All along I have said that optimization is possible, and IMO is required for a playable Quake on any devices less powerful than the iPaq / @migo in the critical areas (floating point math, memory access), which at this time is all other Pocket PC devices. Further, I have said from the start that someone is working on a MIPS version, if only to pacify those that won't believe experienced programmers very familiar with the project. So I don't know exactly who it is you are trying to talk into producing a game for you to play.<br><br>I never made a Microsoft analogy.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby AlphaFox » Feb 22, 2001 @ 12:25pm

you sould just recompile it for mips with no optomizations and show the whineie casio ppl that it run at .02 FPS. that way they will have their beloved quake on mips which is what they want! Who cares if its slow, it will appease them for now! <br>if you have tried quake on ARM then you would know how slow it and if it was any slower it would be unbrearable. just wait for the integer conversion people!
AlphaFox

Postby Bill S » Feb 23, 2001 @ 3:02am

Bill S

Postby Bill S » Feb 23, 2001 @ 3:08am

Bill S

Postby Dan East » Feb 23, 2001 @ 4:15am

Dan East
Site Admin