This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Mips port difficulties

Re: Mips port difficulties

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 7:50pm

Well i have found where the error is:<br><br>The error comes from a line of code found in COM_AddGameDirectory (char *dir)<br><br>the line is:<br><br>pak = COM_LoadPackFile (pakfile);<br><br>pakfile contains "/quake/id1/pak0.pak"<br><br>right after entering the funcion y get the error i mentioned and the arrow points as follows:<br><br>    pack_t *COM_LoadPackFile (char *packfile)<br>->  {<br><br>Very weird error if you ask me... Any clue of why this happens Dan?
CARPEDIEM

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 8:26pm

Well, Call me insane but the sistem crashes when the function creates this variables:<br><br>      dpackheader_t   header;<br>      int                             i;<br>      packfile_t              *newfiles;<br>      int                             numpackfiles;<br>      int                             packhandle;<br>      dpackfile_t             info[MAX_FILES_IN_PACK];<br><br>      unsigned short          crc;<br><br>Im not joking, i know, this is crazy but it happens.<br><br>Something that i've done to prove that variable declaration hangs the program is to declare these variables in the function prior to the problematic one. And it crashes too.<br><br>Are we gonna be able to get past this bug?<br>Because that's what we should call it i think. A microsoft bug.<br>
CARPEDIEM

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 8:37pm

Well actually what i did to see if that was the cause of the crash is not just to add more variables to the function, but to replace:<br><br>pak = COM_LoadPackFile (pakfile);<br><br>With lines of code equivalent  to that line, so that the function wouldn't be called.<br>And there comes the crash, now even the debugger won't detect the problem, when the PPC crashes it will just say that connection was lost.<br>
CARPEDIEM

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 8:57pm

ok, THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>I just made the variables GLOBAL, and erased the problematic variables.<br>And now this thing works.<br>Or at least i think it does, i see an about box but im afraid to click ok.<br><br>OK, After closing the about box the thing Crashes again, but maybe this time it's because of the drawing routines.<br>What do you think bro?<br>
CARPEDIEM

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:07pm

Okay, you just reminded me of something.  Pocket Quake is running out of stack space. You have to increase the stack size for the MIPS builds. Go into the project settings, Select WCE MIPS in the "Settings For:" drop box. Make sure the PocketQuake root branch is selected in the tree. Select the Link tab. Select the Output Category. Change the Reserve value to 0x3d090. Go ahead and do this for both the release and debug builds. That will solve that problem.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:24pm

CASIO owners rejoice!, i have a semi working Pocketquake MIPS version running on my E-125 @ 180!<br>I can hear sound perfectly but i can't see anything since i commented out the drawing line.<br>Im gonna put it right in place and see what happens.<br><br>Dan, I suspected that it was running out of Stack space but i never imagined you could increase it like you just showed me how.<br>
CARPEDIEM

Postby you know who » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:31pm

Hey, the screen appears blank. But when i command it to close, a messagebox pops ups and then underneath, the screen is drawn and i see PocketQuake (the screen is a little displaced but what the heck).<br>I'll keep working on it.<br>
you know who

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:32pm

Email your email address to pocketquake@pocketmatrix.com and I'll send you the new source with the new display code.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:33pm

This includes Jacco's 3D optimization.<br><br>Dan
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:50pm

Jacco's optimization increased fps by 24% on the iPaq, which of course is a huge improvement. This currently results in some perspective problems (the walls looked warped when you are up against them), which isn't a big deal.  The performance increase freed me to produce a landscape mode (it would have been worthless before because it would have been too slow). The landscape mode is now as fast as the portrait used to be. Hopefully this will give you a good fps on the MIPS devices. To get a rough benchmark (once you get this thing going - I have faith), start a new single player game. Do not move the character at all. Pull up the console and execute TIMEREFRESH. Let us know the fps you get.<br>To the rest of you following this thread; the new iPaq version will be available for download very soon.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2001 @ 9:54pm

Once you get the video going it may slow things down to the point that the sound is intermittent. If so, you can increase the _snd_mixahead value in the autoexec.cfg file. BTW, make sure you put the autoexec.cfg file in the same dir as the pak file on your device if you haven't already.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby lordkiwi » Feb 23, 2001 @ 9:52am

Reading your exchange was truly amazing.  Some times you read little tidbits of information in manuals and just dont realize how significant they are untill you have to use them.<br><br>Keep up the good work guys and dont let the fanatics that think opensource means I own your soul you work for me.
lordkiwi

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 23, 2001 @ 3:16pm

Now I can play quake on my Casio, it's a good thing I just got my 1GB MicroDrive!
Moose or Chuck

Postby theIPAQmonkie » Feb 23, 2001 @ 6:05pm

hmm.. i was testing it out and i noticed that when you move up against walls odd effects happen. the walls seem to be bubbling away from the player... im doin this on my overclocked em500
theIPAQmonkie

Postby 999 » Feb 23, 2001 @ 6:10pm

This is an odd feature with some of the speed tweaks Jacco has implemented in build .04.  Perhaps Jacco or Dan can shed more light on this for us :)<br><br>Otherwise, you don't really notice it unless you're close to a wall.  Additionally, this tweak has increased the iPAQ's overall performance by 24%, bringing the overall FPS to a much more playable level. Well worth the trade off IMHO, and prolly a good reason why Jacco implemented it in the first place :)<br><br>Nice work Jacco! :D<br><br>
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions