This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Dan has released Beta .04 for iPAQ!!!

Dan has released Beta .04 for iPAQ!!!

Postby 999 » Feb 24, 2001 @ 8:52am

Great work Dan and Jacco, this build Rocks!!!<br><br>I'm off to bed, so just the basics:<br><br>This build features a significant speedup thanks to Jacco.  Dan has also implemented Landscape mode, which is truly the only way to play Quake ;)<br><br>Read the page for further details.<br><br>ugh, it's late.<br><br>
pm Member

Re: Dan has released Beta .04 for iPAQ!!!

Postby killzat - Mark » Feb 24, 2001 @ 10:52am

I don't think the speedup is as 'significant' as you think =), in terms of what you can actually see as far as improvements, there's very little. Landscape is nice, but still a little slow - slower than the first build.<br><br>Perhaps if Dan shaved the landscape modes width a little (20 pixels per side), it doesn't need to be that big. Normally with 2D that might make things slower, but in 3D it could speed them up.<br><br>I'm also worried about the power usage in 'Full Landscape'. Think I'll try a few Quake tweaks for FOV etc. and see what happens.
killzat - Mark

Postby Dan East » Feb 24, 2001 @ 11:09am

You can shrink the display by going into settings and moving the Screen Size slider. Running Quake in landscape could not possibly reduce battery life compared to portrait. The cpu runs at 100% either way. The fact that the LCD is displaying a static or changing image has no effect. The LCD and its driver hardware has to completely redraw the screen at a given frequency regardless.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby cdkimbrough » Feb 24, 2001 @ 12:01pm

In landscape mode there are not controls?<br>Is it designed for the stowaway keyboard?<br><br>Also, the screen keeps freezing up every other second.<br><br>
cdkimbrough

Postby Nope » Feb 24, 2001 @ 4:05pm

you cant use the keyboard in lanscape mode, there is no way to attach it.
Nope

Postby 999 » Feb 24, 2001 @ 4:55pm

Killzat-<br><br>Try playing the new beta in portrait mode, you'll see the "significant" difference in speed.  In Landscape mode, it appears to drop down to .03 speeds.<br><br><br>Last modification: 999 - 02/24/01 at 13:55:51
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 8:49am

You can use a keyboard in landscape mode, you just have to tilt your head a little :D<br>Hey, that smily is kewl :D :D :D:D :D :D<br>What other kinds of smilies can you use?<br>;) :) :( :D ;D 8)Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 05:49:56
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 25, 2001 @ 8:53am

How do you get the smoking one?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 9:34am

to get the Smoking guy all you have to do is press "eight" then "close parenthesis", like this: 8)Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 06:34:05
Moose or Chuck

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions