This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Doom For Quake Mod

Doom For Quake Mod

Postby killzat - mark » Mar 2, 2001 @ 6:36am

Dan,<br><br>http://www.planetquake.com/doom/<br><br>The latest version should be built using 'Registered' compatible code right? But how do we go about running PQ Mods because I've had some troubles with the old methods.<br><br>It's just I have a few mods, like the Doom one above, that use much fewer polygons in the level design and would thus be faster. So I'm keen to test them, but PQ seems tempramental at best. what would you suggest?
killzat - mark

Re: Doom For Quake Mod

Postby Dan East » Mar 2, 2001 @ 8:05am

First off, the MOD above looks like an entirely different, hacked up version of Quake, which would have to be ported over from scratch. It doesn't look like it has been worked on in 4 years, crashes all the time, and takes up a huge amount of additional memory. :)<br><br>Regarding the playing of modified / 3rd party wads; AFAIK if you own the registered version, and place the registered pak file on your device, then you can play modified wads. 999, can you verify this?<br>Id Software sent me this on 1/31/01 in response to my question "can I distribute a registered build of quake?":<br><br>Also, this cannot be a modified "Quake" exe.  In other words, when we GPL'd the Quake source, it<br>is not an intended effect to allow people to modify the Quake shareware executable with the source code to allow people to play user created maps without purchasing the entire game.  The same principles would apply to any port of the Quake game created by you or any other member of the community.<br> Succinctly, the GPL of the source in no way modifies any EULA for the game or any copyright protection we are afforded for the game content.<br><br>Dan East<br>
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby killzat - mark » Mar 2, 2001 @ 11:04am

"First off, the MOD above looks like an entirely different, hacked up version of Quake, which would have to be ported over from scratch."<br><br>It's a total conversion of game content to be like Doom in 3D using the Quake engine. Just like all unofficial mods it doesn't use a different .EXE, only the data files have changed. It may be 4 years old but that seems like a strange thing to say, Quake, afterall, is older than that anyway.<br><br>I guess I'll need a 128Mb CompactFLASH disk (no battery eating MicroDrives for me) for the registered PAK file. There are lots of mods like this for Quake, quake2 (no SP ones for Q3 yet =[). I think they'll add something to a game we've all played countless times before.
killzat - mark

Postby Dan East » Mar 2, 2001 @ 11:41am

AFAIK all you need is the registered pak0.pak on your device. You shouldn't need pak1.pak. Also, you can put pak0.pak on the device, and pak1.pak on the card, or any such combination.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions