This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

I Have succeded in porting PocketQuake to CASIOS

Great Stuff

Postby PCG_Norman » Feb 24, 2001 @ 5:40pm

Wow, I just got my E-125 yesterday, and the first thing I did was get PocketQuake on my machine. It's unbelievable! Anyways, I work for PC Gamer, the magazine, and I'm in the process of trying to get PocketQuake up as a news story, as a follow up to a previous column about pocket gaming. If I could get in touch with the person in charge (I'm assuming Dan East), we'll try to get something set up. Great work!
PCG_Norman

Re: I Have succeded in porting PocketQuake to CASIOS

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 24, 2001 @ 6:04pm

ACK! And I wanted to have the first story on 3DGameGear.com. I better get crackin' on it right away to beat PCG's.<br>BTW, Nice to meet you Norman. PCG is a great magazine.
Moose or Chuck

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 24, 2001 @ 6:58pm

I have it up to 2.86 now<br>We are getting pretty pretty close to the goal, 3 fps.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 24, 2001 @ 7:03pm

My goal is 10FPS... that is, as soon as I get some programming skills.
Moose or Chuck

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 24, 2001 @ 7:30pm

Well guys, i think i'll call it a day for today, im exhausted, i've been going trough code all day so im gonna go watch a movie or something.<br>Anyway, today's work was worth it check this comparison between released versions:<br><br>First release: nothing to compare to.<br>Second release(Jacco's Optimizations): 22% faster<br>Third release(My optimizations): 42% faster<br><br>My goal is to reach 50% performance increase and i think i'll achieve that pretty soon.<br><br>I would post the new version but im lazy, im gonna take off now, C ya guys.
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 25, 2001 @ 7:47am

Amen to that Carpe, Amen to that!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 9:07am

Just so you guys know. I get around 2.1 on a Casio E-125 @ 180 MHz when the display is full screen, without the Health and Armor bar above the skin. It's more fun and just as playable. Compared to the norm of 2.2 with my device<br><br>Oh, Carpediem, remember that 2.86 is no your 200MHz Casio, so you're probably up to 2.5 or 2.45 with a normal Casio.Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 06:07:24
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 10:02am

Hey CARPEDIEM. Could you send me your source? I would like to see the source already ported to MIPS to compare, since I know nothing and must learn. CARPEDIEM, how did ou learn to program for PPCs?
Moose or Chuck

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 25, 2001 @ 10:46am

Moose you won't be able to tell the difference between the sourcecodes since my changes are gapi related. Besides i wouldn't recommend you try to start learning with pockequake!!, When i first started dreaming about making it work on the mips processor i almost gave up like a thousand times. good luck Dan was there to support me.<br><br>Anyway, i've found the most processor intensive function, i removed it and now i get 30 fps on the Timerefresh test. (remember the max score i got was 2.86). So i'll start trying to optimize this code and see what happens. Stick around, exiting news may arise today.Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 02/25/01 at 07:46:21
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby tarkadal » Feb 25, 2001 @ 11:01am

I get 1.74 fps on a E-115!
tarkadal

exciting news today, eh?

Postby PCG_Norman » Feb 25, 2001 @ 2:50pm

cool.....
PCG_Norman

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 3:03pm

CARPEDIEM, you mean 3.0 FPS, not 30 FPS... right? My heart lept when I read that ;D<br>[EDIT]<br>NM, I ICQed you. It is indeed 30 FPS, NOT 3.0 FPS.Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 12:03:59
Moose or Chuck

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 25, 2001 @ 4:29pm

Ok, the newest version is about to be posted on pocketmatrix.com/pocketquake<br>it's version 0.041 and it's 44% faster than the initial release.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby cookie319 » Feb 25, 2001 @ 4:45pm

hmm.. still not up yet.. I can't wait...
cookie319

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 25, 2001 @ 5:12pm

Carpe- in normal play, timerefresh is giving me well over 5 FPS!  I am not overclocked.  BTW- Moose, how do you get that stuff off of the screen?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions