This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Skin Bug

Skin Bug

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:30pm

Hey, in 0.041 MIPS, the skin does not work how it is supposed to.  When I tap the cheaty thingy, it says, "Aux 3 not programmed."  What does aux 3 have to do with the skin?  999, I believe this is your are (it said so in the credits) so please help!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Re: Skin Bug

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:40pm

Your autoexec file may be missing the button assignments.<br><br>Try downloading the ARM version and use the Autoexec file found inside.  <br><br>I didn't supply the MIPS autoexec.cfg file, there was already one included.<br><br>The Autoexec.cfg file is where all the skin button maps are contained.<br><br>Additionally, you can try my "speed tweaked" cfg file .<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:49pm

I dloaded the speed.cfg, and lets see if it works... yes!<br>Thanks 999, also, how do you acess the.cfg file?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:36pm

What do u mean by access?<br><br>I use pocket word to do all my editing. :)<br><br>I simply used my Resco File explorer to setup an association with cfg files and pocket word.  <br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:41pm

I used a registery editor to associate files with Pocket Notepad. It accomplishes the same thing as 999's method, although his is faster and easier.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:51pm

AFAIK, it is not possible to edit the cfg file on a Pocket PC without some piece of 3rd party software. You can thank Microsoft for their ultra-lame file explorer. I think that the Microsoft antitrust court hearings should result in Bill Gates being forced to use a PC with no more than 640k RAM, and that supports only 8.3 filenames, for the rest of his life. ;) Millions have had to live with his company's nearsightedness, why shouldn't he?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:59pm

999, randall, Dan, what third party app should I use?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:00pm

Ya lost me there Dan ;)<br><br>Are you saying we "can't" edit a cfg file on a PocketPC?<br><br>I must be smokin' some good sh!t then, because I whipped up that whole speed config on my iPAQ 8)<br><br>Or are you talking like PocketPC specific CFGs/dll type things? <br><br>
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:02pm

Dr.Phat:<br><br>I'm using Resco FileExplorer to do my file associations.  You might be able to get this functionality from the Trial version, otherwise, perhaps Randall could be kind enough to post the "brute force" Registry method.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:06pm

999, faster and easier sounds good to me! Didn't Johnny Rotten (from the best punk band ever, the Sex Pistols 8)) "We're all just lazy sods!"?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Dan East » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:08pm

I'm saying you can't do it unless you've got some 3rd party software on your device that will let you associate the cfg extension, rename the .cfg file to .txt, or a text editor that can open user-definable / wildcard extensions. I'm saying that if you take a new iPaq out of the box, you couldn't edit a .cfg file on it (to my knowledge).<br>If you have gigabar or some other file explorer, you can add .txt to the filename so Pocket Word can find it, then change it back when you're done editing.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:17pm

but how do I do that?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:37pm

Dr. Phat:<br><br>Dan is on the right track with the 'down and dirty' method of changing file extensions.<br><br>First make sure you have a file explorer that lets you see hidden files, and file extensions like .exe, .dll etc.  <br><br>Next, find the autoexec.cfg file and rename it to autoexec.txt.  Open the file up in Pocket Word as normal, make the changes and save the file.<br><br>Rename the autoexec.txt file back to autoexec.cfg, Launch Quake and you should be good to go.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 1, 2001 @ 6:10pm

My down-and-dirty method is a hack of sorts, and like I said, 999's method is far easier. I use the PHM Registery Editor because it works, it allows cut/paste (very important for more complex keys) and it's FREE!<br><br>If we REALLY want to post a hack for it, I can, but it's not pretty. :)
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 1, 2001 @ 9:03pm

That was a good idea changing the file names. I hadn't thought of that.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions