This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake Landscape?

Re: Quake Landscape?

Postby randall » Feb 27, 2001 @ 7:29pm

I honestly don't understand how a virtual keyboard could be anything more than a novelty. In DOOMCE, I figured they stuck the virtual keyboard there because they couldn't think of anything else. Quite a waste of space.<br><br>Windows CE already has a virtual keyboard, why duplicate the effort? And it hides away neatly, clearing space for somehting else more important.<br><br>How many bindings do we need really?  "Jump", "attack" and a couple auxillaries should suffice. <br><br>The key to functionality is to make the most-used buttons the largest and easiest to access. I enjoy the current layout of the MIPS build, because of the convenient location of the attack and jump buttons. And they are very well marked in BIG ASS LETTERS SO THERE IS NO MISTAKE. The touchpad style mlook is also very well thought-out. Is it better than having the mlook over the entire gameplay screen? I don't know- the MIPS build doesn't support that.<br><br>I honestly wonder how many of these threads are written by people who actually PLAY 3D shooters on a regular basis. The fast and the skilled always win- all the others are just gibs.<br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 27, 2001 @ 8:09pm

Alright. Like I'm going to gib people using my stylus? I don't think so. It's pure novelty in the first place. I believe it would save space to put the mlook over the display, and I'd enjoy the possibilities of having an entire 97 key keyboard right there to bind everything to. But it's a preference and the game probably won't change, so why am I still talking?
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Feb 27, 2001 @ 8:22pm

I don't know. Once again, I ask: how many keys do you HONESTLY need to bind?
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Feb 27, 2001 @ 8:24pm

Um, maybe YOU won't be gibbing with a stylus. But circle strafing is fairly important, and I don't see a way of achieving this otherwise.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 27, 2001 @ 8:34pm

Well I don't see a way of doing it at 2 FPS anyway, which it goes to if there is going to be a fire fight of any kind. Maybe I just want a keyboard, ok? Can you deal with that? You keep your skin, I'll keep my keyboard (oh wait, there isn't one yet >:( ).
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Feb 27, 2001 @ 8:55pm

I know, I know... Maybe we could "skin" a faux keyboard for you- of course the keys wouldn't be functional.<br><br>You must use the keyboard alot to play games on your desktop/laptop computer?
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Feb 27, 2001 @ 9:20pm

Hey Randall, if a faux keyboard skin is put it and it didn't work, well that would make it a Real "Novelty" now wouldn't it ;)<br><br>That should sqaure ya away just nicely Moose! 8)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 12:14am

I am going to start skinning a faux 3DFX card for PocketQuake, maybe that'll speed it up. Ooooh, opengl and glide!
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 28, 2001 @ 7:39am

Lol, you guys are funny. reeeaaal funny.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 3:58pm

realistically moose, both input methods could be implemented and allow the user to choose [classic keyboard mode] or [PocketPC optimised mode]. Yes, it would require a major overhaul of the current system and many hours of headaches. Yes there are more important things to optimise right now. Yes, there are bugs that need to be worked out first. Yes, another programmer should undertake that task.<br><br>But keep in mind that your opinion, particularly in areas of interface and visual quality, is important to the project.<br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 28, 2001 @ 4:27pm

Hey randall, you really seem to be in the know. Are you some kind of secret inside man working on the project?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 28, 2001 @ 4:58pm

RANDALL, get with the picture, the SIP does not work correctly on the Casio!  Please make your posts more informed next time!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 5:32pm

I said nothing about the SIP. Moose wants a keyboard that is up all the time- I imagined something pretty like the DoomCE virtual keyboard. That was mighty presumptious of me.<br><br>BUT, since we are discussing the SIP, when it finally works properly then moose can bind all the keys he wants. Keys can actually be bound RIGHT NOW, but it is difficult to utilize since we can't see the keyboard.<br><br>I use the handwriting recognition to enter console commands, even though I can't see what I am doing. It's easier than trying to guess where the virtual keys are.<br><br>sorry for NOT BEING INFORMED! :)<br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 5:32pm

Oh, I'm still skinning a faux 3dFX card!
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 28, 2001 @ 5:55pm

hehe, ill take one!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions