This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake Landscape?

Quake Landscape?

Postby AlphaFox » Feb 24, 2001 @ 11:06pm

Once you switch to landscape, how do you get out of the video menu and play?? it says hit escape, but, ah, wheres that? the kbrd doesnt pop up and besides theres no esc on it. does the mlook area move to the side? am I missing something?
AlphaFox

Re: Quake Landscape?

Postby 999 » Feb 24, 2001 @ 11:17pm

The escape key is still mapped in the "potrait" position.  So you'll have to fumble around in that general area to escape.  A good visual clue is the Quake Guy's face in the menu, The ESC/Menu key is right in that area.<br><br>Dan has ingeniously coded the Mlook to work anywhere on the screen.  It's centre point is defined wherever you tap onscreen first.  This has always been implemented, so with that in mind, you can basically use the live Play Field as your Mlook area :)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 25, 2001 @ 7:52am

then why do we waste precious space by rendering it in the control area?  Couldn't we put a good keyboard there or something?  That way TIMEREFRESH results will be easy to get, right?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Feb 25, 2001 @ 8:14am

Mike:<br><br>Well, firstly, you can't have a skin in Landscape mode, there's just no room.  Once Dan implements the Landscape controls, I was just going to remap the Esc Key to the Rec Button in the AutoExec file :).<br><br>Secondly, Dan is going for total playability here. So with that in mind, what makes more sense?  Gameplay, or Console Commands? Do you really want to be fumbling around to press a "little 2 key" for a weapon switch? All just so you can enter "Timerefresh" in the console easier?  Currently, hitting the Console button on the Skin brings up the SIP, so there's still no reason for an onscreen keyboard.  <br><br>I reckon Dan has done a great job of balancing out what's needed, and what can be put on hold.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 25, 2001 @ 8:16am

I realize that, but the keyboard doesnt do so well on MIPS
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 8:29am

I greatly enjoy the keyboard in Doom4CE. I like it a whole lot better than the PQ Skin (no offense), especially when it has those two built in cheat codes. A Keyboard skin would give it a much more authentic feel. And then we could bind EVERY action instead of just Jump, Shoot, and Run. I believe the keyboard would be a whole lot more usefull than that PQ Skin that's currently available. But when PQ is fully optimized and after I learn how to program a little better maybe I'll just make my OWN keyboard on screen :).
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Feb 25, 2001 @ 3:08pm

I don't get you guys ;)<br><br>How the heck can you say pressing tiny little buttons is more intuitive than large, easy to reach buttons?  Are you going for Gameplay here? You do realize that takes presidence over everything else right?<br><br>Every vital key you need is readily available, more over, the only time you ever need the SIP is in the console, and that is already taken care of the minute you hit the "Console" button on the skin.<br><br>If you need more binds, just rebind the Attack Key and the A/B key on the skin :)<br>
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 3:19pm

I personally like the Keyboard that Doom4CE has as it's skin. Its much more novelty and gives it an authentic feel. If I want to run, I press shift. If I want to open a door I press enter. Everyone knows those controls. And the freelook area should be over the actual game field, it is not right now. I don't care if you say that it was designed to be centered around the first place you click the screen, because it's only that way within the tiny skinned area. I say provide a keyboard skin seperatly that's available to download in the least. No offense 999, I know you made the current skin, and it looks great and is a great addition, but I would much rather play with a keyboard skin and free look over the game field.<br>You could leave in those weapon selection things above the number keys, because I know the screen has to be smaller for it to run fast enough. But I enjoy playing with a keyboard.<br>Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 12:19:28
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Feb 25, 2001 @ 6:22pm

Moose:<br><br>You make me laugh ;)<br><br>I have no clue how you find pressing icons less than 16x16 pixels big during a game "easy" or "comfortable" for that matter ;)  To each his own I suppose :)<br><br>BTW, I'm using all of Quake's original elements in the Skin, don't know if that is "authentic" enuf for ya ;)<br><br>Can't please them all :)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Feb 25, 2001 @ 6:44pm

MLOOK is over the game area on the current iPaq 0.04 version. At this point I have no idea what the MIPS version is, which is unfortunate, as the iPaq and Casio run the exact same OS, and absolutely need not be two seperate entities as they are now. The current 0.04 "official" version builds and runs on both the iPaq and Casio devices, with only two lines of code unique between the two devices. One problem here is that the iPaq users, who enjoy very good gameplay due to their hardware, would not be satisfied distorting and cutting out pieces of Quake until it performed at an arbitrary value.<br>As for the onscreen controls, I cannot at all understand the logic of having 40 virtual keys on the screen, when only 15 are used for gameplay, for the sake of "novelty". The "cheat" buttons on the skin trigger generic Auxiliary control inputs, as do the A and B buttons. These are totally user configurable. There is no hardcoded cheat. If you want them to do something else modify the autoexec.cfg file. The Enter key is not used in Quake gameplay, and any Quake Faq / How-to I've every encountered always said to enable "Always Run".<br>The size of the onscreen control area was not chosen - it was defined by the size of the game area, which is at the standard Quake width-height ratio of 4/3.<br>Finally, we have brought about a whole new "generation" of Quake gamers who have never played the game on the PC. If we have the luxury of creating intuitive onscreen controls, then why take the easy way out and stick a keyboard on the screen?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 25, 2001 @ 6:58pm

Whatever Dan, but my preference is still an onscreen keyboard.<br>999, all of these posts of ours completely change the thread topic. We should really stop doing that :)<br><br>LAUNCH ALL 'ZIG'!Last modification: Moose Master - 02/25/01 at 15:58:08
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Feb 25, 2001 @ 7:35pm

Good Points Dan ;)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 27, 2001 @ 4:18pm

999, I thought a keyboard would be easier for the processor to render, to save FPS.  I like the skin now... Doom4CE was a little tiny (especially becaue my right, dominant, hand is in a cast, so I can't hit the buttons too well.) Just trying to save FPS.
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Feb 27, 2001 @ 4:44pm

I don't know if there is any peformance loss by displaying a BMP skin image.  Most emulators do it nowadays, I don't think they would if it did have serious drawbacks.  Perhaps Dan, the Author, can clarify this for us.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 27, 2001 @ 5:20pm

Well, there HAS to be pixels of some kind there ANYWAY, so it really makes no difference.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions