This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake Landscape?

Re: Quake Landscape?

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 7:42pm

Here is something interesting.<br><br>Since the SIP is overdrawn by PocketQuake, we cannot see the virtual keys. They are still active and fully functional, though.<br><br>A skin could be drawn with the proper location of all those keys- basically the skin would be a visual reference.<br><br>Of course this would interfere with the current skin and the underlying button configuration. But if we could simply call a function that would swap the skins when the keyboard is called...<br><br>I don't have the eMedded visual toolkit, but I ordered it (it's free if I pay for postage). Is there somewhere I can download the eMbedded visual toolkit?<br><br>I'd like to mess around with this a bit.<br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 28, 2001 @ 8:05pm

You can Download it from the same place that you ordered it from. <br>But this has been a problem on other programs, such as PocketNES and other programs with skins. I dont know how it was fixed.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 8:25pm

I couldn't find anywhere to download it. It just took me through the entire purchasing process again.<br><br>oh well.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Feb 28, 2001 @ 9:52pm

Don't mean to shoot you down randall, but that's a bad idea. First off, you wouldn't know if the SIP was displayed or not. Second, there are several modifiers that result in different keymappings, such as SHIFT and au. There's also the numerical entry mode. Further, many people do not default to the keyboard SIP, and use the freehand entry, or an altogether different 3rd part add-on SIP. It would be far, far easier to simply fix the glitch were the MIPS version does not display the SIP.<br>I really don't think that the onscreen controls are overwriting the SIP, because the onscreen controls are not drawn via the Game API direct screen access. They are blitted onto the window's DC, only when a WM_PAINT message is received. So in that regard Pocket Quake is typical of any normal Pockey PC application. I suspect that the reason it doesn't work is as follows; with the iPaq version I get the screen buffer and hang onto it for long periods of time (basically indefinitely). It is a recommendation of Microsoft's to hang onto the buffer for multiple frames. However this does not work on the Casio devices, as Carpediem skillfully determined through debugging. He discovered that the buffer must be retrieved and released for each frame, otherwise a white screen results. My hunch is that when the buffer is retrieved, the Pocket PC OS closes the SIP, assuming that it would only get trashed and overwritten. Offhand I can't think of a way to work around it, besides discovering why the screen buffer can't be held onto for multiple frames, as MS says you can.<br>A future possible enhancement will be the ability to support user-mapable custom skins, which could be used for keyboard, onscreen controls, etc.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 10:14pm

but the SIP is not closed. The keys remain usable and active, until the user actually closes the SIP in the normal manner. We just can't see the keyboard or character recognizer.<br><br>I realize the SIP does not utilize the game api to draw, but Quake seems to take over EVERYTHING! We cannot use the PocketPC start menu, title bar or switch apps.<br><br>I swear, its some kind of anomoly. While the game is running, I can open notepad (by hit and miss). The game immediately draws over notepad, yet notepad remains the active application (on top). So we can't play the game, because notepad (which is invisible) is on top. And we can't use notepad, because the game continues to overdraw it.<br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Feb 28, 2001 @ 10:22pm

The only portion that should be overdrawn is the actual Quake game area, not the onscreen controls. <br>Carpediem, I seriously doubt it, but did you modify the source so that the onscreen controls are blitted directly to the screen buffer?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 10:25pm

It would be nice to have the MIPS source.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Mali » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:19am

on the e115 there is no such anomaly. btw, i get 4.0 fps at 168mhz in demo1.
Mali
pm Member

Postby djtipmothee » Mar 2, 2001 @ 11:45am

When I switch into landscape the screen gets all garbled like it can't handle the resolution.  Then I just have to exit and restart to get it back to normal.  Any ideas on how to fix this?
djtipmothee

Postby Mali » Mar 2, 2001 @ 12:02pm

djtipmothee<br>landscape mode doesn´t work in the mips build
Mali
pm Member

Postby djtipmothee » Mar 3, 2001 @ 1:43am

I have an iPAQ...so I have no idea what the problem is.  Portrait mode works great, so I don't know what's causing this problem.  Could it be a bad version of gx.dll?  My other games work fine though.  Could it be a conflict with Dashboard?  Any other ideas?  Thanks!
djtipmothee

Postby 999 » Mar 3, 2001 @ 2:02am

djtipmothee:<br><br>Make sure you have the current version of Pocket Quake installed.  I am familiar with your problem, does it look like the screen's scanlines are offset?  Is there a black area on the screen as well?<br><br>If you have any of these symptoms, then you are indeed still running the previous version of Pocket Quake.<br><br>Try emptying out the Temp folder in your Windows directory before you unzip the .04 version of Pocket Quake.  Some Zip programs have a tendancy to not overwrite a file in the working directory (Temp) if their names match.<br><br>
pm Member

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions