This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

how fast is quake on ipaq

Re: how fast is quake on ipaq

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 4, 2001 @ 4:54pm

Well, it is still version .004 ALPHA, so don't critizice yet. And I see it more as a novelty program, or as a benchmark utility that is also fun.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 4, 2001 @ 7:50pm

Um, go find something else to bitch about then, Israel. Life must be rough when you have to compare a Pocket PC to a full-blown x86.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Anibal » Mar 5, 2001 @ 1:09pm

Well done for the devolpers of quake pocket pc. They have  done a good job, but this is not the question, the most important thing is that the pdas do not have a hardware for playing. For example the ipaq has only a single sound chanel... It makes no sense playing doom and cant listen the sound of the monster because you are firing your weapons. Or try to move the ship of descent with a pad, 5 buttons and a stylus. The job of conversion<br>And the other side the amount of memmory , just use your ipaq for playing quake and doom2 an then you must buy an accesroy with more memmory storage<br>Is great and well done for the devol<br>Pers but the hardware of the pda it is not ''still' for playing games.<br>This is only my opinion not a judge sentence.
IPAQ
Anibal
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 5, 2001 @ 1:51pm

If you use headphones or external amplified speakers you'll hear no difference between PQ and the "real" Quake running on a PC. The sound is 100% accurate, multichannel, 3d stereo. I have never played Doom on a Pocket PC, so I have no idea what it sounds like. Doom and Pocket Quake are two seperate entities, and have nothing to do with one another.<br><br>Control is the same as on a PC - the stylus is used for analog mlook control in place of a mouse. Only quake weenies use non-analog binary controls for yaw and pitch.<br><br>Pocket Quake will run on a base 32 MB iPaq out of the box. No additional storage space is required. I don't know the specs for all the other types of Pocket PCs, but I doubt you can even buy one with less than 32 MB these days. You don't have to buy any accessories to play PQ.<br><br>Quake represents the cutting edge pinnacle of pushing your Pocket PC to its limits. Yes, playing PQ on an iPaq is in the ballpark of a "486 100Mhz with 24 Mb". That was what the average person played Quake on when it was first created, and the hardware "grew" into the game. Today I play Quake at 800x600 on my laptop, while enjoying very high fps at a resolution 6 times higher than those that played on a 486 5 years ago. Does that mean those 486s were not for 3D games? No, it was just that nobody knew any better (who would really say, "I'm not going to play games on my 486 because it can't compare to hardware that will be invented 2 years from now"? ) . It is the same with Pocket PCs. Does it make sense to say an iPaq is not for 3D gaming by comparing it to a Playstation 2, or a Pentium III? Of course not. How about comparing an iPaq to a Palm, GameBoy Color, Game Boy Advanced, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, etc? It suddenly looks like one heck of a gaming platform, eh?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Anibal » Mar 5, 2001 @ 2:51pm

¡¡ESTA BIEN RECULO!!
IPAQ
Anibal
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 5, 2001 @ 3:57pm

what?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 5, 2001 @ 4:38pm

Is good reculo. What is a reculo?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 5, 2001 @ 4:44pm

Doom4CE By JimmySoftware only queues one sound at a time. If you're shooting, opening a door, and a monster growls, you'll hear you shooting until you stop, then the sound of the door, then the monster growling, so you could hear the monster a full minute after he initially made his sound. It is a program limitation, not a hardware, and I have NO IDEA why Jimmy did that, or whoever made the port, I think one of his collegues did.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Anibal » Mar 5, 2001 @ 6:23pm

About DOomCE4, yes it is true when I say that the ipaq have only one chanel I said not for saying something, I said it because if you are hearing a MP3 and you have a task, the sound of advisment of the task dont sounds, and in DoomsCE4 there is only one chanel. You say that the Ipaq have more than 1 chanel, and that comparing the ipaq with another kind of devices is not equal, and more, you saiid that the ipaq (the ipaq or another POcket PC) is usuefull for playing.... ALL RIGHT, Now I have read all your opinions, all you explanations .. Y RECULO<br>RECULAR; (spanish) The action of accept that your opinion was not right and acept the other opinions as the right choice.<br>Now I see it more clear, thanks.
IPAQ
Anibal
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 5, 2001 @ 6:59pm

When I'm playing an MP3 I can hear the task sounds, like when I tap the screen or open a program. Maybe you're just hearing things or not hearing things. Or maybe you don't have enough free RAM. Don't know if that would affect it though.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 5, 2001 @ 7:30pm

Yes, Quake ran piss poor on a 486 DX4 100. I still have an old 486 lying around to test this on.<br><br>Quake was advanced for it's time, and remains an extraordinary piece of work to this day. It isn't an enhanced Doom engine with additional features. Carmack tossed aside everything that was known to work (which included Doom technology), and implemented new ideas in order to achieve something that no-one knew was even possible at the time.<br><br>The PocketQuake project is no different.<br><br>Quake was originally designed and optimised for the x86 instruction set with a math coprocessor over the MS-DOS operating system. (duh! :) )WinQuake was created later, which included Win32 API support and additional features like TCP/IP.<br><br>PocketQuake is ported from the WinQuake technology, but it still remains very much optimised for the x86 instruction set. PocketPCs, with their 3 different processors, do not directly support the x86 instruction set.<br><br>In theory, the PocketPCs are more than fast enough to run Quake at a reasonable speed. (6 FPS is not reasonable :) ) But the unique architecture of each processor must be considered.<br><br>Case in point: A 68000 (Mac) processor running at 400 mHz is approximately as fast as an x86 (intel) running at 800 mHz. This is "approximate" because benchmarks will always vary. But it boils down to this: when dealing with different architectures, mHz is not the deciding factor in the race for speed.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Mar 5, 2001 @ 11:39pm

Randal: your're right.<br>MHz doesn't mean diddly when talking about performance. I mean, a 350 MHz GeForce3 chip totally outperforms almost anything as far as floating-point math (73 Gigaflops!).
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Robotbeat » Mar 6, 2001 @ 12:02am

Yeah, and all Pocket PCs have diddly for floating-point performance!<br><br>However, you all know that they have good integer performance. Well, how is that floating- to fixed-point conversion going? Then we will get some iPAQ performance!
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Anibal » Mar 6, 2001 @ 1:58pm

We are all the time talking about windows CE, but if I install linux in the Ipaq, it will runs the quake? or not?<br>And I have tried twice, no way, If i am listening a mp3 with MP7 the sound of advisment don´t sounds, it dont work, i have left free 10 Mb of ram and 10 for the program, bat it still dont work. Is my problem or is problem of ipaq?
IPAQ
Anibal
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 6, 2001 @ 2:07pm

Pocket Quake will not work on linux, but there are linux ports of Quake that you could build on your device. I don't know if all the libraries needed by Linux Quake are available in Pocket Linux (or whatever its called). Regardless, it would require modifications to support the narrower screen (240 pixels wide) if you run it in portrait, or you would have to modify the code to display landscape. It would not have gzip support, correct keymappings, etc. That would be a whole different project.<br>I don't know if the MP3 player and Pocket Quake can both share the audio hardware or not. Probably whichever gets it first is what you hear.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions