This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Speed Ideas

Re: Speed Ideas

Postby Mali » Feb 28, 2001 @ 4:41pm

randall<br><br>a little mistake:<br><br>d_mipscale "1"  //far away textures will be lower quality (default)<br><br>d_mipscale "0" //far away textures will be high quality<br><br>d_mipcap "x" //x=<br>0 - highest detail (default)<br>1 - high detail<br>2 - medium detail<br>3 - low detail<br>4 - lowest detail<br><br>and i think<br>cl_bobup has todo with the bob of the weapon (i´m not sure)<br><br>
Mali
pm Member

Postby randall » Feb 28, 2001 @ 6:25pm

indeed, I had them backwards- I guess I was in a hurry. Thanks for the correction.<br><br>I was looking over the source code, and found that mipcap has a range of 0 to 3. Numbers are allowed beyond this range, but they snap back to 0 or 3 (whichever is closest).<br><br>cl_bobup and cl_bob appear to do nearly the same thing, although they are separate variables. On the low FPS of the PocketPC the bobbing of the the player isn't as visible as the bobbing of the weapon.   <br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby killzat - mark » Mar 1, 2001 @ 6:51am

999,<br><br>Great minds think alike =)<br><br>So long as it gets a good speed boost with minimal quality loss (and it does seem to) then I'm happy. Checkout the 'new benchmark technique' thread to see my scores.
killzat - mark

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 7:16am

I posted this in the benchmark thread, although I think I should have posted it here, anyhow, sorry to double up like this:<br><br>------------------------------------------------<br><br>Got my Autoexec in order and after OC'ing to 236, I'm hitting some pretty nice numbers for Portrait Mode :)<br><br>**TIMEREFRESH**<br><br>206<br>Image<br><br>236<br>Image<br><br>**TIMEDEMO**<br><br>206<br>Image<br><br>236<br>Image<br><br><br>You can download this "speed" cfg <br><br>
pm Member

Postby Sparky009 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 7:19am

hmm... I know the polys are the heavy duty part, I'm just asking if by eliminating the lighting produced by explosions, lava balls, etc, we can't speed this up a bit...<br><br>BTW, the USB sync is obviously not a full out connection. It doesn't like to work unless you have a proxy for the specific application you're trying to use it for. The sync actually connects loopback on various ports... The only program I've ever seen to work across the sync without a proxy, which could get to me/my ISP, was ZTerm, and I'm not sure what made it special. Don't expect PQ to work over a sync in multiplayer, that's just not how the sync works.
Sparky009
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 1, 2001 @ 2:48pm

lighting has been discussed. Still I am going to look at the source code for qrad lighting vs dynamic lighting.<br><br>For an idea of why the polys are killing us, use "r_draworder 1" and start a single player game. You will see areas (and extra polys) that you have never seen before. The dynamic lighting isn't diddly squat compared to those extra 200-250 polys.<br><br>I realized USB wasn't a full-out TCP/IP connection last night. I couldn't ping either device (PocketPC or laptop). I couldn't get tracert to work either. I guess what I need as a NIC emulator for my PocketPC.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 1, 2001 @ 2:55pm

I don't think it would speed things up much, but it should be a variable anyway. maybe r_dynamic which defaults to 1, or on.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:22pm

Has anyone tried creating the new USB connection on their Pocket PC via the registry as explained in the article:<br>http://www.tekguru.demon.co.uk/EM500/usbtonet.htm <br><br>This should allow TCP/IP over USB...<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:23pm

Would such a multiplayer game slow things down?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Dan East » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:48pm

No. Lag time is high, but there is negligible decrease in fps.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 3:54pm

oh, ok, I would, but I dont own QUAKE
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Dan East » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:02pm

I don't own Quake I either. Download the free version from ID Software. <br>http://www.idsoftware.com<br><br>Dan East<br>
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Mar 1, 2001 @ 4:21pm

Dan, yes I have tried that USB connection described in the article. It works perfectly.<br><br>BUT, the real issue is that it isn't a true network connection. Although it allows TCP/IP packets through a proxy there is something that prevents the ip addresses from being broadcast through the network. Even the computer with the proxy can't ping the PocketPC (or vice-versa).<br><br>Although I am quite adept at establishing networks, this one has me puzzled.<br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:01pm

So whats the problem if it works perfectly?  I thought that was the goal: Mutiplayer, not a networkconnection.
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby 999 » Mar 1, 2001 @ 5:32pm

I've tried multiplayer, and although my ping was 350-400, I found it to be very playable, especially against someone of the same Ping.<br><br>I've seen people CounterStrike with 400+ pings and still hold their own.<br><br>Also, you need at the least a 56k CFModem to play online, however I would recommend an ethernet connection for even better pings (20-120) :)<br><br>
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions