This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

How can i add a command line perameter

How can i add a command line perameter

Postby Fcorp » Mar 9, 2001 @ 2:01pm

I want to try running a few bots in pocket quake<br>Deathmatch.But all these mods seem to need you<br>to start the game with the command line modifyed.<br>I cant do this in windows CE.I even went as far<br>as to hex edit a CE shortcut to add the paramiter<br>but no luck CE didnt like that one bit .Please<br>help....
Fcorp

Re: How can i add a command line perameter

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 9, 2001 @ 2:55pm

I've been having the same problem with command line params. Someone help us!
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 9, 2001 @ 3:56pm

I haven't had much success with any of the startup commands. Once the game is run typing the commands at the console works fine. So, this either means:<br><br>(1.) I don't know how jack-diddly-squat about parameters on Windows CE.<br><br>(2.) Windows CE doesn't support parameters.<br><br>(3.) Dan or Carpediem disabled the startup commands.<br><br>Out of those three, the first seems most likely.<br><br>As far as using bots, those usually reference a a custom or modified DLL file. Unless the DLL was compiled for Mips, SH3 or ARM, it won't (or shouldn't) work.<br><br>So does anyone know where to find the Source code for a Quake Bot?
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 9, 2001 @ 4:31pm

LOL. If you used a Bot on a Pocket PC you'll be getting about -20 FPS. Well, you get my point. I'd wonder if the screen would update at all in a 5 second period.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 9, 2001 @ 5:29pm

Bots shouldn't affect FPS any more than the monsters in SinglePlayer, or the players in deathmatch.<br><br>The game doesn't care if the models are bots, players or monsters- it'll draw them all at the same rate of speed. The general rule here is: the more models, the lower the FPS. But it isn't the "bots" fault.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 9, 2001 @ 7:03pm

To run an app with command line parameters, per 999:<br>To get the command prompt, hold down the Action button and click the clock and hold down for a second or two. On the menu, select "Run"<br><br>Also, if you have a robust 3rd party file explorer it may allow you to create shortcuts that contain parameters. If you have access to a CE 2.0 H/PC, or H/PC Pro device, you can create a shortcut on it, then copy it to your Pocket PC. I just can't resist yet another opportunity; if Microsoft's Pocket PC File Explorer weren't so lame, it would allow you to create a shortcut and specify command line parameters.<br><br>I added command line support to the last (0.04) version of Pocket Quake. It is totally untested, so let me know if it works or not.<br><br>Dan Est
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 9, 2001 @ 7:06pm

BTW, Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 shortcut files are not compatible with Windows CE. They are a totally different format.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 9, 2001 @ 7:39pm

Dan, I just dont get that, why doesn't Toshipa or intel program in Pentium compatability? it seems that that would double the usefulness of the PPC, and make it a true PPC.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby randall » Mar 9, 2001 @ 9:44pm

It has more to do with the individual processor achitecture and instruction set, rather than "programming in Pentium compatability".<br><br>At the core of the instruction set, Mips ARM and SH3 processors do not maintain compatibility with each other. And they certainly don't share an instruction set with the x86 processors.<br><br>It would be cool if PocketPCs were x86 compatible though. We wouldn't even have to port Quake over at all.
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 9, 2001 @ 9:58pm

Dan, I agree that Microsofts PPC File Explorer is lame. Maybe there's an "easter egg" somewhere to enable an enhanced File Explorer. I wish :)<br><br>As far as the command line goes, I have tried many different ways to use the "MAP" startup command to automatically throw me into a game when I start PocketQuake. What I was really trying to do was create an association with the BSP files.<br><br>I finally gave up.<br><br>I know how to use the command on my laptop- and it works just fine :)
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 9, 2001 @ 10:00pm

Phat:<br>The shortcut files are not compatible because Microsoft reinvented that wheel for Windows CE. That is a totally OS-specific issue, and has nothing to do with the hardware.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 10, 2001 @ 8:40am

I believe that running a bot would slow things down, depending on the bot that was used. It has to have intelligent pathfinding routines, entity (player) recognition, common sense (don't jump in lava), and multi-level terrain usage. It would slow things down. (or the bot could just use a mapped waypoint system). Dan, can you shed some light?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 10, 2001 @ 9:19am

thanks for clearing that up... but it seems like a lack o foresigt to have different instruction sets (as randall pointed out). its likelimiting the ability of a budding technology, whats the point? i'd rather have a 66mhz pentium compatable ppc than a 150 mhz incompatable thing.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Dan East » Mar 10, 2001 @ 9:52am

I've fixed the command line parameters, so it will work with the next release (0.05) due out by Monday night.<br><br>Regarding the bots; If you look through the Quake source you won't find any code telling the bad guys how to act. That is all in the wads. Quake contains a custom scripting engine that runs a compiled type of scripting code. It is through that virtual processor that the code is executed that give the bad guys intelligence, including all the things that Moose pointed out (pathfinding, etc). So, since the bot is written in the same scripting language, and since most bad guys already have a decent amount of intelligence, I assume that a bot would not affect FPS unless it was poorly written, or really goes overboard with its "intelligence".<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 10, 2001 @ 10:35am

ya, alright. Thanks Dan.
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators: