This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

On a quiet Saturday night/sunday morning......

Re: On a quiet Saturday night/sunday morning......

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 9, 2001 @ 3:13pm

Fine, but Red Hat tries to hide it's Linux behind many window's friendly aspects. Like the semi-Microsoft of Linux. Hey, guess what. Microsoft is making a Linux OS in a few years. Since Linux is totally free and MS's OS costs hundreds, it's the only way the Bill can still control the world with his back water programs and hidden bugs. Boy is that going to suck.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Matt Keys » Mar 9, 2001 @ 4:48pm

Mark thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afriad that 30gb a month would not even begin to cover our bandwith. After we added 5 bucks per gb we would be paying MUCH more than we are now.<br><br><br>"Why not use Yahoo Website Services at http://website.yahoo.com?   They offer 30 gigabytes of bandwidth per month for only $19.95! ...."
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Matt Keys » Mar 9, 2001 @ 5:07pm

Dr. Phat<br><br>URL's are really cheap. I think we are paying 19.99 a year for ours
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby randall » Mar 9, 2001 @ 5:37pm

Moose, the point is that you wouldn't HAVE to buy Microsoft Linux (if this ever comes to fruition). You could still buy, CorelLinux, RedHat Linux, Mandrake Linux, TurboLinux...<br><br>If we want Windows, we are limited to the many flavors of "Microsoft Windows". And that's it.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 9, 2001 @ 6:20pm

Linux is free :)... No buying.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 9, 2001 @ 7:45pm

Matt- i thought that the interNIC charged $75 a year! Am i just confused?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 9, 2001 @ 8:29pm

Internic used to charge $35 a year. Now anybody (well, almost anybody) can sell domains.<br><br>You can get domains for like $15 now (not very many places).<br><br>We got ours at www.ireg.com for $19.95 or something. It's a good deal.<br><br>I can't believe Network Solutions still sells them for $35. What a rip-off. Well, I guess most people still think they are the only ones that sell domains. BUT THEY ARE WRONG!
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Mark Rejhon » Mar 10, 2001 @ 1:18am

I forgot to add http:// as this forum messes up hyperlinks if they don't start with a http://<br><br>Temporary domain name I registered:<br><br><br>Personal website:<br> and (former is hosted by Yahoo Website Services, latter is a Dotster redirect)
Mark Rejhon

Postby Mark Rejhon » Mar 10, 2001 @ 2:36am

I use Dotster at http://www.dotster.com ....  They're amazingly convenient.  Web based administration.  MUCH easier than the old Internic email forms.   And they FINALLY made it easy to transfer domain names from Internic (Network Solutions) to Dotster.   You can transfer domain names over there for as little as $11.95 for one year - and that's on top of what you already paid.  So if your domain name expires in 2003 at Network Solutions, you can transfer to Dotster for only $11.95 for the superior web administration, and the domain name won't expire until year 2004 (because they offer to honor _existing_ domain name registration agreements for free).   If you pay for 10 years, it drops to as low as $9.95 per year.  For the same price as what Internic used to cost for 2 years (back when they charged you $50 per year) you get 10 years!<br><br>And you can even tell it to redirect a URL to another URL.  For example, it's now so cheap, I registered a disposable temporary domain name:  (okay, a cheap attempt to get Sega's attention).  It costs $5<br><br>I've got about 15 domain names hosted by Dotster, for various stuff like my last name and my website as well as other domain names.<br><br>[admin edit]Thanks man.<br><br>Last modification: Chris Edwards - 03/09/01 at 23:36:11
Mark Rejhon

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 10, 2001 @ 9:22am

wow, i think im going to start a web based tabloid- we need an editor and some writers! lol... but seriously, how much is low bandwidth hosting- for like an info site (just text images, maybe a cgi forum?) and how on earth does thissite have more than 30 gigs?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 10, 2001 @ 1:22pm

30 Gigs? We had around 100GB last month.<br><br>All thanks to the Multimedia and Pocket Quake.<br><br><br>:)
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby randall » Mar 10, 2001 @ 2:24pm

In this case, the excess of 30 gigs isn't the SIZE of the content (html, images, etc.), it refers to the amount of BANDWIDTH the site uses.<br><br>Bandwidth is the amount of data that flows from the server that Pocketmatrix.com resides on.<br>Just having daily visitors takes up bandwidth, since the visitor is essentially "downloading" the HTML. The forums and downloads increase that amount even more.Last modification: randall - 03/10/01 at 11:24:57
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 10, 2001 @ 3:56pm

oh, ok, so on the other server:<br>100-30=70<br>70/5=14<br>your total on one of the recommended servers is:<br>$14+$19.95= $33.95<br><br>Less than $250 by a long shot
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 11, 2001 @ 7:22am

Then add:<br>CGI, PERL<br>PHP<br>ASP<br>mySQL<br>Access<br>C#<br>and tons of other stuff that this site uses. But I agree, you need to be on the lookout for a new host. You're being ripped off.<br>
Moose or Chuck

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 11, 2001 @ 2:36pm

ok.... any hosts reading this?... or any loyal members wanna look for a host for me?<br><br>This is what I would like:<br><br>200gb/transfer per month<br>5-9gb of storage<br>PHP<br>MySQL<br>Telnet or SSH access.<br>Unlimited POP3/SMTP<br>Unix Server<br>Apache Web Server<br>Access to Stats.<br><br>Can anyone get me that for under $250?<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>PLEASE!
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions