This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

MIPS V.0041b

MIPS V.0041b

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 11, 2001 @ 6:52pm

Moose or Chuck

Re: MIPS V.0041b

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 11, 2001 @ 7:11pm

I get exactly 6.2 FPS on the demo, E-125 @ 180MHz using the provided autoexec.cfg. Amazing!
Moose or Chuck

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 11, 2001 @ 7:39pm

Well, the credit for the .cfg goes to 999, <br>thanks again 999<br><br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 11, 2001 @ 8:52pm

No, thank you Carpediem. PS, did you take latin? Bonis Boni Bonam...
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 11, 2001 @ 9:07pm

Yep, i have faster versions too, they get very close to 8 fps. but i don't think im gonna be releasing them since from 0.05 on there will only be one version of pocketquake going around.<br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/11/01 at 18:07:29
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Jimble » Mar 12, 2001 @ 12:22am

I tried PocketQuake v.0041b on my E-115 overcloocked to 168 MHz and only get 3 FPS in timedemo.  If it goes 7 FPS on an E-125 @ 200 it should go 5-6 on my E-115.  Could it be that I only have 10 MB program memory free, I heard someone say you should have 14 MB one time.  I've never seen the little RAM icon during the timedemos.  I just installed Quake normally and didn't change anything and it goes really slow.  Should I try a hard reset?  With the original version of Quake @ 131 MHz I got 1.64 FPS with timerefresh.  Does it run slow for anyone else with an E-115? Any ideas?
Jimble

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 4:22am

On an e-125 @150 mHz, timedemo gets 4.8 FPS.<br><br>The following is not directed at any ONE person:<br><br>I am sorry, but all this bullshit overclocking crap isn't setting a standard, nor is it a benchmark. If you want a REAL FUCKING benchmark, use a PocketPC straight out of the box.<br><br>THEN when you achieve 8 FPS, you might really have something. And it'll easily top 10 FPS when overclocked.<br><br>ALSO, using timerefresh to get an FPS count- it ain't gonna fucking work. I don't give a rats ass how many FPS you get, show me how many you get when actually playing a game. Timedemo gives much more accurate results in this respect.<br><br>Why was the sky removed? It may increase FPS with Timerefresh on start.bsp- but does it increase FPS anywhere else? How about a map that you can't even see the sky? Does it increase FPS there?<br><br>My two cents worth. So go ahead a shred me.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 01:22:17
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 5:01am

oh, Jimble:<br><br>The e-125 has twice the cache of the e-115, as well as many other hardware enhancements. This can account for the discrepency you are seeing. mHz isn't everything.<br><br>You can do a soft-reset of the device to clear the program memory, just to make sure you don't have anything else running in the background. I have run PocketQuake with as little as 8 megs of program memory- so 10 megs should be more than enough.<br><br>Your autoexec.cfg file can house quite a few optimizations as well.<br><br>Other than that, I guess the best you can do is ask other e-115 users what kind of FPS they are getting (which you already did).<br><br>Beware, though. With so many people overclocking their devices, the numbers are all over the board. All the different configurations with autoexec.cfg will spread these numbers even farther. for instance, I can drop my Timedemo FPS from 5.7 to 3.7 with a few console commands. That's quite a difference :)<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 02:01:03
randall
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 12, 2001 @ 12:16pm

Jimble:<br>you are not using the provided autoexec.cfg, you must place it in /quake/id1<br><br>Randal:<br>There's no speed increase in closed areas, i removed it mainly because i wanted and i could do it, and second because i remember levels in the registered version that were big open areas and i guess framerates must be pretty low there.<br>Besides, this version is better in every aspect than version 0.041 so i decided to make it available since probably 0.05 will be slower, this way people can play a fast quake while waiting for a faster unified release.<br><br>Also, your vulgarity wasn't necessary, we are not talking about benchmarks here, that will come in version 0.05, i guess you are just having a bad day so everything's ok.<br><br>C ya.<br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/12/01 at 09:16:25
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 5:50pm

yeah, I wasn't having a good day. But I still think a standard should be set. I buy alot of software, and when I look at the requirements it never says anything like:<br><br>MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:<br> Pentium 400 overclocked to 500 mHz<br><br>So this is how I feel when I look at all these posts about PocketQuake, FPS and overclocking:<br><br>POCKETQUAKE for casio and ipaq<br>MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:<br> Casio e-125 overclocked to 200 mHz<br><br>I know he minumum requirements are only "recommendations" the developers felt the game is still playable. The games will run on much slower machines- they [the developers] leave it up to the consumer to make that decision.<br><br>I am truly sorry about the vulgarities, and even thought about modifying it before anyone saw it. In the end, I decided that is how I felt at the time and the vulgarities remained ( I was pissed! :) ).<br><br>About the sky, I didn't think it had any impact on closed maps. It seems that you are trying to optimise for Start.bsp and get the highest TIMEREFRESH possible (this probably isn't true).<br><br>Removing things from the game shouldn't be implemented mid-beta stage. Try adding a CVAR to toggle the drawing of the skybox- many functions in Quake use them.<br><br>By the time id released Quake 2, the skybox had no effect on FPS whatsoever. So I have no idea why it has an effect on PocketQuake/WinQuake.<br><br>Thanks for being "the bigger man" and not freaking out on me.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 14:50:46
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 7:24pm

Here's something to consider:<br><br>The engine should be benchmarked on it's own merit. Modifications to the autoexec.cfg file shouldn't count- for good reason.<br><br>Version 0.041b is 0.4 FPS faster than version 0.041 (on my machine). Almost half an FPS faster, which is quite impressive in it's own right. So something Carpediem did was moving in the right direction. This is rating the GAME ENGINE ALONE.<br><br>Using the new autoexec.cfg, the FPS increases by 1 FPS. (again, on my machine- your results may vary). This shouldn't be used to benchmark. This is similar to running a 5K run, jumping on a bicycle mid-race and claiming you ran the course 50% faster.<br><br>About the AUTOEXEC.CFG file:<br><br>999's new CFG file degrades the visual quality in order to boost performance. This isn't bad, but it IS noticeable. The CFG works, is well written and improves performance- everything an optimised CFG is supposed to do :) BUT-<br><br>d_mipcap "1" cancels out any setting made by d_mipscale. d_mipcap also prevents the engine from using detailed textures and degrades visual quality. This should not be included in the CFG file unless it is d_mipcap "0" (the default setting). A comment be added to notify the user that setting this to "1" will improve performance/degrade visual quality.<br><br>d_mipscale is used to incrementally degrade the visual quality in order to boost performance. Keep in mind that d_mipscale "0" is an agressive setting (the highest possible texture quality) and takes alot of program memory. This may be why some people are seeing the "RAM" icon during gameplay or demo. Set this back to the default d_miscale "1" (the default) and everything is okay. To tell you the truth, I don't know why this was changed to d_mipscale "0".<br><br>Other than this, I'd like to thank Carpediem and 999 (and Dan) for their contribution to the PocketQuake Mips project. Without them, the Casio probably wouldn't be running Quake right now. This is a huge undertaking that I am quite surprised has not generated more programmer involvement. I mean, we are talking A REAL VERSION OF QUAKE ON A PORTABLE DEVICE, not some pitiful psuedo-port to gameboy or Palm.<br><br>I hate writing posts like this. It makes me feel like a self-righteous dick :( . Especially since I am not even working on the project.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 16:24:06
randall
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 12, 2001 @ 8:03pm

Well to tell you the truth i have not looked into autoexec configurations, when i used 999's i was very suprised because sometimes in order to increase the framerates by 0.1 i had to work for hours. And at first it was harder since i had no clue of what the functions did, now since i have practically seen and changed most of them i know what they DO, not really HOW they do it.<br>I can't imagine speed can go any faster via autoexec.cfg, but if you think it can, please post a config here so that i can test it, i really don't care very much about visual quality as long as the speed increase compensates it.<br>Speed looks the same if i change to mipscale "1".<br><br>What i am noticing is that the new pocketblinds slows pocketquake a lot, my framerates go from 7.8 to 7.4 (always talking about the demo1 test) when using it.<br><br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/12/01 at 17:03:36
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 9:43pm

There is very little difference between d_mipscale 0 and d_mipscale 1... visually speaking.<br><br>The difference is in the amount of memory allocated to textures.<br><br>d_mipscale 0 is highest texture quality, thereby using more memory. It can cause the RAM chip to appear (low RAM warning) during gameplay and demo modes.<br><br>d_mipscale 1 is the default.<br><br>d_mipscale 3 is the lowest setting; anything higher reverts back to 3. Textures require less memory because of the degraded quality.<br><br>d_mipscale only improves FPS slightly- not enough for me to worry about. So I leave it at the default.<br><br>The settings in autoexec.cfg can vary the FPS by more than 2 FPS easily. They typically accomplish this through alteration of visual quality. Sometimes it is noticeable- sometimes not.<br><br>I'll see if I can come up with two "contrasting" CFGs to post here.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 18:43:38
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 10:03pm

This'll drop the visual quality to an all-time low:<br><br>d_mipcap "'1"<br><br>(notice there is a ' before the 1)<br><br>Dunno why this happens since the game shouldn't even read the apostrophe.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions