This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Bot's Work in PocketQuake MultiPlayer

Bot's Work in PocketQuake MultiPlayer

Postby Fcorp » Mar 11, 2001 @ 2:24pm

Just a word to let anyone know who is like minded<br>in wanting to put bot's into pocket quake that it<br>works and seems, after a number of hours playtesting That it's totaly stable.
Fcorp

Re: Bot's Work in PocketQuake MultiPlayer

Postby Dan East » Mar 11, 2001 @ 2:32pm

Any performance loss? Do you mind posting a url to the files you used? Thanks!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Mar 11, 2001 @ 4:51pm

yeah they work... and they kick my ass continually.<br><br>I had to unpack my paks to get it to work (limited space :( ). Fcorp, do you have both paks on your device?
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 12, 2001 @ 2:21am

Bots are really awesome.<br><br>I couldn't get the command line to work at all in .04, so like Randall I had to slap together my own pak0.pak file.  Thanks to Randall on the overwriting the Progs.dat file btw, the bot wouldn't run otherwise.<br><br>I'm currently using Omnicron as my bot, which just barely knocks Reaperbot off it's throne as King.  It's programmed to act like another human player, it even misses shots. Like all the best Bots out there, Omnicron is capable of pathing, and learning your patterns as well.<br><br>IMHO, once the command line works, Multiplayer with Bots is the only way I'm going to play PQ, it's just too cool.  Currently without a command line, I can't figure out how to play a different DM map other than dm1.bsp.  The DM maps load less during the game, as isn't the case on any of the normal maps in multiplayer.  It appears to load in the different sections as you approach them and unload them as you leave, which isn't bad on a PC when they're transparent.  I didn't notice this behavior on the smaller DM maps.  Sadly dm1.bsp only has the grenade launcher, so I was forced to have a go at the EM maps for some Rock fights.<br><br>With Four bots in the game, I was hitting speeds between 3-8FPS.  Unlike the single player game, it takes a bit more getting used to tracking your targets when the framerate takes a hit, but if you play conservatively, you'll find that you can have an equally enjoyable time.<br><br>I was able to camp at the Rocket Launcher spawn point and hold ground until they all teamed up.  I was also able to catch a few of them off guard in other camp spots, which really makes the kill all the more sweet.  <br><br>I'm only writing this because my battery died and need to kill time before I can play again! ;)<br><br>999<br><br>btw- When v.05 is released, I'd like to fashion a nice config for the Omnibot as well as detailed instructions on how to make your own custom DM PAK file using your own Registered files.
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 4:13am

I suspect I'll be playing deathmatch against bots more than anything else, too.<br><br>Deathmatch maps tend to have lower poly counts than Singleplayer maps, so they will run a bit faster. I haven't tried the Omnicron bots yet, so I'll look for it tonight.<br><br>While I'm at it, I think I'll search for some custom DM maps.
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 12, 2001 @ 4:47am

Okay, I figured out a way to play other DM maps without a command line.  Simply rename the map you want to dm1.bsp inside the PAK file.  Duh, I can't believe I forgot to try that earlier.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 4:56am

I don't understand why that would be preferable to using the console command "map dm1" or "map dm2". Did you know there was a console command as well as a startup command line?<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/12/01 at 01:56:52
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 12, 2001 @ 6:02am

I'm just tired.<br>I totally forgot you could just scroll thru the maps on the menu screen.<br><br>I just have my quake starting up on the multiplayer menu now, for bot action. :)
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 12, 2001 @ 6:28pm

Wow, I just made smaller pak0/pak1 files and left them ungzipped.  They're about 5 megs and change a piece and load blazing fast.  I don't get that "Loading Quake" screen anymore :D <br><br>I haven't found any cool "smaller" custom maps out there yet, but when I do, I reckon I'll just add it to my pak0 file and name it e1m1 or one of the default map names.  I hate fiddling with command lines and other things. :P<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 7:36pm

Pretty astounding, isn't it 999.<br><br>Try this instead- it doesn't take any more room that the PAK files.<br><br>completely unpack BOTH pak0.pak and pak1.pak and add the contents to your PocketPC in the id1 folder. These individual files take place of your PAK files now. This can be done with your current (smaller) PAK files as well.<br><br>Now you can add/remove maps without unpacking and repacking the PAK files. And it runs just as fast as the un-gzipped PAK files.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Fcorp » Mar 12, 2001 @ 7:54pm

Randall.<br>As far as i am aware the only file you need from<br>Pak1.pak is "pop.lmp". When placed in the correct<br>directory the address should be    <br><br>"My Device\quake\gfx\pop.lmp"<br><br>once this is done discard any other Pak1.pak internal files you want to recover space.<br>----------------------Fcorp
Fcorp

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 8:06pm

gfx/pop.lmp is the only file needed to verify if the game is "registered". So to fool the game, you can unpack that single file.<br><br>But PAK1.PAK includes sounds, textures, graphics and models necessary to play PAK1.PAK maps and many custom maps. Without those, some maps won't run.<br><br>So if you are ONLY playing maps from PAK0.PAK, then the only file you need from PAK1.PAK is gfx/pop.lmp.<br><br>I should come up with a list of files that can "safely" be deleted from the PAKS.
randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 12, 2001 @ 10:03pm

Thanks for the tip Randall.  I'll try that next.<br><br>Anyhow, thanks to Fcorp's link, I happened to find a nice PPC Friendly map which is nicely titled "Small One".  <br><br>It works well with 3 bots in play, as my scores were higher than ever thanks to less poly overhead on the enviroments.<br><br>You can download the map ftp://ftp2.ar.com.au/library/g_quake/smallone.zip Here.  I simply renamed it e1m1.bsp and repacked it into my pak0.pak file.  At least this way I can call it up from the Multiplayer Menu.  <br><br>If anyone else stumbles upon small little maps like these please post them, in either this thread or a new one :)<br><br>Last modification: 999 - 03/12/01 at 19:03:02
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 10:08pm

This is an excellent idea, 999.<br><br>Also, has anyone verified any Quake mods that work. Most were written in QuakeC (like the bots) and should work on PocketPC.
randall
pm Insider

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions