This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Resolution on EM-500

Resolution on EM-500

Postby Supertofu » Mar 5, 2001 @ 1:39am

When i go to video in options in Quake for lanscape mode using v.41 for mips, it says that i am running at 240x180, however the em-500 have a spec for 320x240...any ideas?<br><br>(Everyone like my run-on sentence?) :)
Supertofu
pm Member

Re: Resolution on EM-500

Postby randall » Mar 5, 2001 @ 3:13am

Yes, the PocketPC screen resolution is 320 vertically and 240 horizontally (in portrait mode).<br><br>The PocketQuake viewable area is 180 vertically and 240 horizontally (in portrait mode). This is ONLY the area where the 3D graphics are drawn. The rest of the screen is taken up by the skin and isn't counted as the Quake viewport.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 5, 2001 @ 8:36am

The MIPS version does not support landscape at this time (a future release will add that support). However, running at 320x240 nearly halves the fps compared to 240x180, so PQ would definitely not be playable at that resolution on a MIPS device.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 5, 2001 @ 4:37pm

Everyone said PQ wouldn't be playable on MIPS no matter what, but just look at us MIPS owners now! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahah<br>or something
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 6, 2001 @ 3:46pm

more of a Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah<br>ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah<br>ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...(17 minutes <br>later)...hahahahahahahahahahaha!Last modification: Dr. Phat - 03/06/01 at 12:46:14
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby randall » Mar 6, 2001 @ 5:02pm

look who's laughing now.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Robotbeat » Mar 7, 2001 @ 12:00am

Getting back to the topic of resolution... <br><br>y'know the new Jimmysoft Landscape thingy with 360x480? That would be cool to have that! Wow... Anti-Aliased Quake on a PPC... <br>Of course, assuming that it the software can be made compatible, we would still have to wait for the floating- to fixed-point math conversion, if not the upcoming 400 MHz PPC to get any playability... <br><br>Since PocketQuake is arguably a novelty to most downloaders, could maybe someone could see if this Jimmysoft software 360x480 works with PocketQuake (notice the lack of the word "playability" ;) )? <br>Or could maybe we use a similar method?
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 7, 2001 @ 9:18am

Pocket Quake directly accesses the screen hardware. Thus it will always look the same regardless of the Pocket PC settings. If you try running JS Landscape and setting an extended mode, you will enounter 2 problems with PQ: First the control skin will be sized / rotated to fit the mode, while the actual output display will not. Second, JS Landscape modifies the stylus coordinates to map to the display mode. This of course totally screws up mlook.<br>I actually thought about that yesterday, adding new modes that use the subpixel resolution compression algorithm (I asked Mark Rejhon to create such an algorithm since he has already done such a thing). This would of course further slow down Quake, but it would look fantastic!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 7, 2001 @ 3:43pm

/me starts chant<br>Do it! Do it! Do it!<br><br>Hey, I didn't realize how useful my PocketPC was! I had a project for German class that I had to work on in class today, so I download all the webpages into my MicroDrive and then transfered the Word document that I already had into my PocketPC. In class I proceeded to type my project out. The teacher liked it ;D
Moose or Chuck

Postby Russ Smith » Mar 14, 2001 @ 11:47am

Russ Smith

Postby Robotbeat » Mar 14, 2001 @ 4:05pm

Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions