This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

I'd PAY for Jornada 720 version!!!

I'd PAY for Jornada 720 version!!!

Postby Brian » Feb 16, 2001 @ 4:09am

This is the fastest WinCE device on the market today, and with the keyboard, ARM processor and 2D graphics acceleration games are simple and fun to play. I'd PAY MONEY for a version of Quake for this system!!<br>PLEASE!!!<br><br>Brian<br>
Brian

Re: I'd PAY for Jornada 720 version!!!

Postby Grant » Feb 16, 2001 @ 9:56pm

And so would many other I am sure. This device would make Pocket Quake rock!! Well done, and here's hoping the 720 gets a go at it. Thanks.
Grant

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 17, 2001 @ 12:18am

While, I'm sure that since it's now open source that ports will start popping up for all different pocket pc's.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby CARPEDIEM » Feb 17, 2001 @ 7:09pm

Well actually a lot of guys should have paid the developer but they all lied of course. Before pocketquake was released a lot of guys started saying they would pay the first one to release it.<br>And they didn't.<br>but what the heck.
CARPEDIEM

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 17, 2001 @ 7:18pm

Well, if anyone wants to still pay the developer they can. I will set up a credit card payment thing within the week.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Mark Rejhon » Feb 21, 2001 @ 6:04am

Hi,<br><br>Not all lied.  Don't forget me, I'm the one who pledged $200 - and I'm the original person who posted.<br><br>Dan - please let me know when the cheque arrives in the mail.  Please scan it and post it if you'd like ;)<br><br>Thanks,<br>Mark Rejhon
Mark Rejhon

Postby andy » Mar 13, 2001 @ 8:06pm

please please<br>i want it for my jornada 720<br>lets face it if we've burn loads on the parm top<br>i think we will payfor a cool game<br>prefably in wide screen please (-:<br>Te He He
andy

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:37am

Well, due to the GPL and Quake being copyrighted by id Dan could not legally sell this, but donations to Dan East c/o PocketMatrix.com would be fine ;)
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:23am

BTW, my wife continually tells me to quit working on this because I'm not being reimbursed. So if any donations were received, my wife might let me work on Pocket Quake more often. ;)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:23am

Actually I could sell it. It is just rather stupid to sell a piece of software when you have to release the source code of it for free (or for a "reasonable distribution cost" ). However, it would have been totally legal for me to port Quake to Pocket PC, while keeping all the Pocket PC specific routines, such as the display, skin code, control input, compression, etc, in a separate library that Quake would depend on. As that dll would not be based on Quake source, I would not have to release it. Thus I could have charged for that DLL...<br><br>Dan East<br>Last modification: Dan East - 03/14/01 at 05:23:54
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 14, 2001 @ 3:27pm

Hey Dan, what about the $200 check from Mark Rejholieoliaodhfd, or someone. Sorry, I forgot your name.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:24pm

Ah, but try to explain the broader perspective:<br><br>This is a project that ANY programmer should be happy to have on a resume. How many people can claim they successfully ported Quake to another platform. Now, how many people can claim they ported it to PocketPC?<br><br>My wife an I own a technical recruiting company and we see alot of technical resumes. VERY few make me stop and say "WOW, this person worked on <enter cool project here>?".<br><br>"ported Quake to PocketPC/Windows CE 3.0 (ARM and MIPS)" is something substantial to put on a resume.<br><br>But money is always a good incentive, too.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:38pm

I don't need it for a resume, at least not anytime soon. At least my name pops up more often when I search the internet now. :)<br>I've not received anything from anyone.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:44pm

I wouldn't mind id Software providing me with free registered copies of all their software titles for my effort in this project. All it would cost them is the packaging and shipping. :)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:46pm

So, mark redjkorn or whoever stiffed you dan? after all those posts about claiming your check. hmmm, it seems fishy to me~
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions