This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake Memory Amount!

Quake Memory Amount!

Postby Warren » Mar 13, 2001 @ 5:49pm

When I try to start Quake, it says there's not enough memory (I'm using an MMC card). How much memory does Quake require? Thanks.
Warren
pm Insider

Re: Quake Memory Amount!

Postby randall » Mar 13, 2001 @ 6:33pm

Applications like PocketQuake require program memory- the main memory on your device. Free up as much program memory as possible. 10 megs should be enough but I have run Quake with as little as 7.<br><br>PocketPCs use the memory cards for "storage" and not program memory. There is a difference.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 9:20am

Ok, I tried moving the bar to increase the program space (the internal space is 16Mb, the MMC card is 64Mb), but the thing on the bar keeps going back the the middle, leaving only 4.5Mb for programs. How can I increase the memory for programs? Thanks.
Warren

Postby Gods Gift » Mar 14, 2001 @ 10:04am

Ok you can't adjust the memory slider to any degree of effectiveness under pocket pc.<br><br>The older version of CE allowed this but Pocket PC, much like most microsoft os's, automatically decides whats best for you.<br><br>You CAN move the slider but it WILL move it back !<br>
Gods Gift

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 2:14pm

Ok, so is there ANY way I can make Pocket Quake work on my Casio EM-500? Can I make it use the memory on the storage card instead of the internal memory? I have Quake installed on the storage card, of course. Thanks.
Warren

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 14, 2001 @ 3:33pm

Uhm, just a question: Your not moving the bar completely to the left, removing all storage space are you? That would be bad and CE would probably move it back to the center because of that.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 4:31pm

Well....umm....yes. Randall said he runs his at 7mb. If I pull the slide thing all the way to the left, there's only 8.5Mb for the programs. Is there a way to make the programs use the storage card memory?
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:00pm

Yes! I got it to get passed the not enough memory part, BUT, it comes up with an error saying "W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad" HELP! Thanks
Warren
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:05pm

I didn't say I RUN PocketQuake with 7 megs, I said I HAVE run it with 7 megs. I wouldn't recommend running it this low- unless you are just looking for a crash.<br><br>Memory cards are only a STORAGE medium.<br><br>For some reason, PocketPCs can't use memory cards for program memory. Which is odd- it should be similar to virtual memory on a desktop computer.<br><br>I don't have alot of space to explain how RAM, memory and storage works, for fear of boring Dr. Phat to death. So I won't.<br><br>Anyway, remove extra files, programs or whatever else from your device and move them to the memory card. This should free up enough RAM.<br><br>I don't have a storage card, but I still have 5.5 megs of storage memory and 10.6  megs of program memory.<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:10pm

Ok, but what about that error about gfx.wad?
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:15pm

Hold on, I think I know why, I put it in Games/Quake/ID1. I'm making it Quake/ID1 right now.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:51pm

To save memory, what I do, is when I want to play Quake, i put thee pak0.pak thing in, because it is so big. when i do that, even with a 1 gig card, i rotate my programs around according ot what i want to play.  If i want a custom map in Doom, you just take out the PAK file for quake. if i want to play Metalion (thanks tim, that game ROCKS!) i take out the custom map and add the sound files for Metallion.  Just rotate the biggest files associated with the games for whatever you want to play.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Warren » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:10pm

I tried moving the directory, but with no success. Then redownloaded pak0.pak.gz.zip, extracted it once, so it's pak0.pak.gz, and slapped it onto my Casio EM-500, but it still has the error. Why can't it just work! HELP!
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:11pm

maybe the thing just hates you~ hehehe
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Warren » Mar 15, 2001 @ 1:43pm

It does hate me. But, I got DoomCE working! Yeah! But, (and there's ALWAYS a but), there's black horizontal lines that on the screen. On all the screenshots I've seen, there weren't these lines, which only allow you to see half of the screen. Is it supposed to be like that? Also, in DoomCE, how do you get to the main menu to save and quit on the Casio EM-500? Thanks.
Warren
pm Insider

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions