This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Version 0.05

Version 0.05

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 13, 2001 @ 9:53pm

Hey, i just got my hands on your new 0.05 source dan, here's my feedback:<br><br>*) The source compiles with little work of configuration.<br><br>*) Using 999 speed config it gets 6.6 fps on the demo1 test. Also compiling with the best compiler settings.<br><br>*) Changing to landscape mode causes a mayor system shutdown, after soft resetting, the device no longer boots it just stays in "starting..." and it can't be turned off.<br>(yes, my ppc fried again).<br><br>*) the Keyboard still doesn't work.<br><br>But over-all it looks really good, good job dan!<br><br>Looks like im out of a job :D<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/13/01 at 18:53:19
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Re: Version 0.05

Postby Dan East » Mar 13, 2001 @ 11:11pm

Hi. You found a version I uploaded a couple days ago. The "real" 0.05 is 1.5 fps faster on the iPaq. I'll upload it tomorrow first thing. You'll have to debug on the device to find what's up with the landscape mode. Landscape fried Phat's Casio too. :(<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Daniel » Mar 13, 2001 @ 11:24pm

So we should use this or not?
Daniel

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 12:31am

Carpediem is referring to the 0.05 source code, not the actual program that 999 put online.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Gods Gift » Mar 14, 2001 @ 4:10am

Ok pardon me for being stupid, naieve(?) or whatever you guys may want to blast me with but ....<br><br>Is the new 0.05 version is only for ARM ?<br><br>From these threads I thought it was a cross platform release.<br><br>I can't believe I thinking of trading in my E115 for a sexy newer model just so I can play a decent game of Quake !! (Mind you I said the same about the wife !)<br><br>Anyone know when the `next gen' of pocket pc's will hit and what sort of spec ?<br>
Gods Gift

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:43am

I heard the next generation PPCs would be out the end of this year and contain 416Mhz processors, atleast the IPAQ anyway. I hope they fix the iPaq problems, because I really wanted that PPC.<br><br>But this is getting off topic. What do you mean it fried your PPC? Maybe it's just because you're PPCs have been overclocked and there was something in the source that only hurts O/Ced Casio's, just a thought.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:17am

Yes, 0.051 is only for ARM at this moment. Carpediem will have to build for MIPS when I upload the source.<br>The landscape mode does not work correctly on Casio devices - it totally locks them up requiring a hard reset. Carpediem will have to debug that on his device.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:32am

My E-125 @ 200 is definitely slower after the hard reset i had to perform... with benchmarks i get results that tells me it's a device between an overclocked to 180 and an overclocked to 200.<br>Maybe the pencilmarks faded away... i don't know, i hope it's that because now i get lame 6.3 fps on pocketquake and i used to get 7.2<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:45am

If you're talking about the 0.05 you built, then it probably is slower, because you made modifications to 0.04 to make it faster, correct? Don't forget to set r_maxparticles to 0 or 100 or so. I'm going to pack up the 0.051 source and upload it. Have you had any luck debugging the landscape problem on the device?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 9:04am

The slowdown was global, with all pocketquake versions and benchmarks. But i just opened my E-125 up for the 3th time and re-overclocked it (this time in like 3 minutes :D )<br>I think that when it locked up and then when it would't turn off it overheated and caused something on the pencil marks, i re-marked them and now it's fine.<br><br>About lanscape mode:<br>In the version i have there seems not to be a difference in vid update drawing algorithms, i mean there's a single drawing routine that doesn't take into account vid_mode's value, i guess it must now work for all modes.<br>im going to look into it now and see what i can do.<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/14/01 at 06:04:21
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 5:29pm

I am going to say the lockup is due to overclocking (like moose said). I have never had a problem so substantial that I had to hard-reset.
randall
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 6:21pm

It locked up simply because pocketquake drew outside the framebuffer, simply because of that, i happened to me lots of times when i was programming gapi benchmark.<br>So you guys are very wrong.<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/14/01 at 15:21:48
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 6:44pm

You two are just dead jealous because you haven't had the balls to overclock your devices, I would never ever, by no means go back to lame 150 mhz.<br><br>:D
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:01pm

Hey Carp:<br><br>Did you totally forget about JSOverclock for the iPAQ?<br><br>This safely Over and Underclocks in software via voltage regulation.<br><br>On that "flick of a switch" logic alone, I'd be willing to bet there quite a few overclocked iPAQs out there, not that we really need it anyway ;)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:12pm

I don't you want to call you an idiot, but if it comes to that... whatever.<br><br>Overclocking ANY processor can cause errors. I don't care if its a Pentium, AMD, MIPS or a block of wood. Overclocking can cause problems or unreliability. Especially something as radical as a 33%+ overclock.<br><br>With the mips build 0.04x, landscape mode never induced a hard-reset of my device. Of course landscape mode didn't work, but it didn't kill my device either. Carpe tries lanscape mode once and has to hard-reset his device.<br><br>The new build (0.05x or whatever) could introduce problems for whatever reason. But how can anyone be 100% sure that overclocking hasn't introduces it's own problems? Does Carpe even know how a processor executes instructions?<br><br>The blinding wisdom in statements like these don't help Carpe one bit:<br><br>"You don't really have to know a lot of C to make a build for your device" - Carpediem<br><br>"i really don't care very much about visual quality as long as the speed increase compensates it." -Carpediem <br><br><br>"And at first it was harder since i had no clue of what the functions did, now since i have practically seen and changed most of them i know what they DO, not really HOW they do it." -Carpediem<br><br>So optimising code is done with complete disregard and understanding of how a function works? How the hell does that work? Carpe must be a goddam prodigy or something because the rest of the programming world KNOWS what they are doing when they optimise, instead of randomly hacking away at the keyboard.<br><br>I've overclocked everything from my desktop computer to ~my toaster oven~. The occasional problems and unreliability just weren't worth it- How can I play Unreal Tournament (infiltration 2.85) with a burned up CPU? I can't. So I settle for the measily 56 FPS I get.<br><br>Apparently Carpe isn't doing anything else with his balls so he may as well use them to overclock his PocketPC.<br><br>Sorry this is a bit harsh, but that "no balls" comment was out of line.
randall
pm Insider

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions