This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Version 0.05

Re: Version 0.05

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:46pm

Randall: Im not gonna get as low as you just did, it was just a joke but as always you got pissed off.<br>just a few things:<br><br>1) A wise thing to do, is just to shut up when you ignore something, if you are not even slightly familiar with something, then don't make any comments about it.<br>2) the VR4100 processor was built to work with 180 mhz frecuencies, and it works perfectly at 200, so be quiet and don't make any comments unless you have actually seen a device @ 200.<br>3) I do know assembler, i studied it last year at college, so i guess i know pretty well how a processor works, Do you?. Also shut up and don't make any conclusions about what i do or don't know if you don't know me.<br>4) I couldn't care less about your opinion.<br>5) Im not here to pretend i know everything unlike some people i see here every day, you of course, are on the top of the list. So if you want me to lie about the way i did my work, i won't give you the satisfaction.<br>6) You ARE a script kiddie.<br>7) I do know how to program in C and C++ and various other languages, as i said i don't care about what you think since you don't seem to have ever seen a source code. So would you know if you can modify a particular function without having to know what every other does?, that's what i do you smart ass, THAT'S THE REASON WHY FUNCTIONS EXIST!!!!, Dan tells me "debug the drawing routines", so i do it. I succeed, yet, i don't really have to know how quake works right?<br>8) Im wasting my precious time here, so one final comment:<br>9) Get a life sugar lips.<br><br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 8:56pm

well, apparently someone doesn't care about my opinions, i feel so sorry for myself!!<br><br>Lol<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/14/01 at 17:56:50
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 14, 2001 @ 9:40pm

LOL, that WAS a good one, Carpe.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Matt Keys » Mar 14, 2001 @ 9:47pm

I told myself that I would stay out of this, but I've got a big mouth so here it goes. Randall it was clear that Carp was joking about allot of those things. It was meant to be taken light-heartedly. When you posted all that slandering stuff it kind of came from nowhere.<br><br>Play nice
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Jaybot » Mar 14, 2001 @ 9:53pm

This is re-goddamn-diculous, is this crap still going on?  It's just silly how people keep trying to insult carpediem for being honest about his programming abilities.  It's also silly to hear all the lame criticism from "programmers" who looked up a word on a dev site so they can flaunt it and try to put down carpe, while they were the one saying that theyre the best programmers in the world and yet said it was not possible for a MIPS version of Quake, all the while MIPS owners pleading for a version to play on there Casios.  Now that there is a MIPS version, everyone was extremely amazed and happy it came out,for an hour.  Then everyone started saying it sucked and it was slow (duh) when the day before it wasnt even possible to exist!  Still, carpe tried to please and optimized the code for speed, not knowing exactly what every function called at first (cause he didn't program Quake, id software did), but still understanding the language enough to know how to clean a few routines up. During this time Carpe admitted he didn't know how this and that worked, yet he was still able to optimize the code for some speed.  And still people bitch and tell him to take classes on how to do stuff (this is why he almost gave up on the project right away, it;s no wonder too, some of the comments I read on this bb hurt MY feelings when they were directed at him), when a couple months ago they though C++ was the highest grade they got in their high school math class.  I'm sick and tired of everyone complaining and ripping on carpediem on a subject they know nothing about themselves, yet they pretend to or they're jealous cause they couldn't accomplish it themselves.  So to all you would-be programmers (and complete pretenders)out there who waste there time telling carpe how bad of a programmer he is: shut up and try to accomplish half of what he has done, and if you can't accomplish it, stay quiet, be humble, and maybe even thank carpe for his hard work.  Thank you.<br><br>-- on a side note, the whole overclocking balls thing, come on it was meant as a joke and possibly a dare (how many times has someone told you "you don't have the balls to do it" just to get you to do it?), so while it may have seemed harsh, it was much more harsh to tell someone they don't know how to do something. anyway it's over now, you've both vented and you'll laugh about it in acouple years if you can remeber it.--
Jaybot

Postby Jaybot » Mar 14, 2001 @ 10:29pm

your welcome.<br><br>--(its appreciate, in case you're wondering, but I knew what you meant.:))
Jaybot

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 14, 2001 @ 10:29pm

Thanks Jaybot, i really apprettiate that.(or however that word is spelled) <br>But anyway, everything's ok.<br><br>"Peace, Love, Empathy: "<br>Kurt Cobain.<br>:D<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/14/01 at 19:29:18
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Daedelus » Mar 14, 2001 @ 10:54pm

YA ME and CARP and JAYBOTMAN!<br><br>p.s. Carp it's 8:45 at Compusmart Calgary, no MIPS? :( I guess I can understand that you've been busy, judging by the previous posts. I want you to know that I really enjoy following these posts and the work you've all been doing.<br><br>               Thanks, I'll smoke one in your name after work!<br> <br><br><br><br>
Daedelus

Postby randall » Mar 15, 2001 @ 2:05am

a-p-p-r-e-c-i-a-t-e<br><br>Yeah, everythings okay. I don't know anything about Carpediem or his background. 2nd year student or veteran FORTRAN programmer... doesn't make a difference.<br><br>I will remain adamant that code optimisation requires knowledge of the functions and how they work. It doesn't do much good to optimise if the functions you are calling are complete crap.<br><br>Am I saying Carmacks code is crap? No. Expecting Carmacks code to be optimised for Mips is a little optimistic though.<br><br>HOWEVER, look at WHO has built PocketQuake for Mips (Carpediem)<br><br>AND look at WHO hasn't (me)<br><br>So no-one should care about my insight anyway. Least of all Carpediem.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 15, 2001 @ 8:30am

It's not hard to compile for MIPS. I just downloaded the .051 source and compiled it for MIPS, runs really fast. But in a few of the areas the vertices go of an a infinite tangent, making that area of the map unplayable. Actually, it's not the vertices because it's doesn't clip, it's just the texture. But anyway, you can't play like that because the area looks stretched out and unrecognizeable. It's not playable like that so you don't want it.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Gods Gift » Mar 15, 2001 @ 9:56am

Moose Master - How can you do that !! <br><br>In one sentence you make someone soooo happy (it runs so fast) and then you tear all those good feelings away (but it's unplayable)  sounds like we need to ask carpedium to spend some time on the source code.<br><br>Carp - how about it ?<br><br>These BB's are dangerous I feel like I know you guys after reading all these posts.
Gods Gift

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 15, 2001 @ 2:16pm

The only one that can fix this is dan, im trying different configs but i don't think im gonna have any luck.<br><br>Moose how do you know the vertices go of an a infinite tangent?, do you know what an infinite tangent is?<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 15, 2001 @ 3:04pm

No, I made it up because it sounded neat :P. What would it mean? I know what tangent and infinite mean, is tehre some deeper meaning? Maybe about the tangent of a polygon? I was meaning tangent as a something not mathematical, not literal. Damn I forgot what that word meant, the word that means "not the dictionary meaning." Argh, Oh well. I'm sick, I can blame it on my debilitating illness.<br><br>Ya, I was trying some config settings too, like the r_maxsurfs and r_maxedges to see if they were just set to low as their defaults, but that brought me no luck. oh, hehe, different config. NM<br><br>To compile your own PQ just get the FREE eMbedded Visual Tools from Microsoft, the link is below:<br>http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/BeginnerDev/tools.asp<br>Last modification: Moose Master - 03/15/01 at 12:04:41
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 15, 2001 @ 3:11pm

Try clipping outside the map to see if the vertices go outside the map area.<br><br>type "noclip 1" at the console. (without parentheses)<br><br>This will allow you to walk through walls. There shouldn't be any stray vertices going outside the map area.<br><br>Wait, nevermind. Moose already stated "actually it's not the vertices because it doesn't clip". <br><br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/15/01 at 12:11:44
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 15, 2001 @ 3:19pm

I don't know how to explain it. I'm not sure but I think it is curving outside of the level. It looks almost like a fish eye, some textures are magnified, some are ... err, reverse magnified. When I look back at the distorted room, it is distorted. And on occasion I ran into some of those wild textures outside of the maps. I don't think it's vertice problems, I think it has to do with the textures. If it were a vertice it would clip, these don't. If you know the route you can still walk through the distorted areas.Last modification: Moose Master - 03/15/01 at 12:19:22
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions