This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

frozen and f*cked

frozen and f*cked

Postby mutthead » Mar 16, 2001 @ 6:45am

OK Gents looking for some help.<br>Can't find my doc's and for whatever reason Quake has frozen on my iPaq 3630.  Now the unit is totally frozen except I get flashes of stuff running in the 'background' sort of behind the quake face.  Everything was fine until I went into 'options' while running Quake and couldn't figure out how to get out.  Evidently, blindly pushing buttons was the WRONG thing to do.<br>Looking for any answers, including how to re'boot' my PDA.  <br>HELP!!<br>Please help!<br><br>The Mutt
mutthead

Re: frozen and f*cked

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 16, 2001 @ 8:12am

Look on the back of your device for a little hole that your stylus can fit into, the Reset button. That's a soft reset and should close all applications but not delete your memory.<br><br>If that fails, try taking out both the backup battery and the main battery and leave them out for a short period of time, 10 seconds. Put them back in. That's called a hard reset and will erase everything on your pocket pc.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Mar 16, 2001 @ 8:29am

Actually it's on the bottom, where it sits in the cradle. The hole is on the right side.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 16, 2001 @ 8:31am

Also try pushing the Record button. That will bring up Quake's menu. What probably happened is another application starting running and is competing with Quake for user input, while Quake is hogging the display.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby mutthead » Mar 16, 2001 @ 8:51am

thanx guys yer all champs!!<br>this game is great!  now if only we could do UT...<br>lost all my data though, any way to boot up without losing everything?<br><br>the Mutt
mutthead

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:31am

Hehe, maybe take the RAM chip out of the Ipaq while you hard boot ;D . But I install all my docs and programs onto my MicroDrive. It's slightly slower, but who cares. It frees up my RAM so when the program does load it runs faster. Snappier clicks, better sounding taps. Nice and quick. And then I don't have to worry about any stuff except my calendar.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jeff » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:37am

I was running the MIPS .51 build, messing around w/the landscape mode and my E125 locked up.  I soft reset'ed, now I'm stuck on the "Starting..." screen.  :(<br><br>Any ideas???
Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:43am

ok, I did a hard reset and im aight now.. at least it want my processor frying from the 200mhz :/
Jeff

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 16, 2001 @ 10:42am

What did you do do exactly?, This used to happen with the first 0.051 version which was not released. I used landscape mode thoroughly and nothing happened with this latest release.<br>Please tell me what did you do right before it froze.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Jeff » Mar 16, 2001 @ 1:54pm

i downloaded the first build you posted in:<br><br>http://www.pocketmatrix.com/cgi-bin/forum/welcome.pl?board=Pocketquake&action=display&num=275<br><br>and changed the resolution to landscape left, then landscape right, then back to landscape left then I pushed I think the calendar button (i think) and it locked up.<br><br>then someone posted another link below it.. that one hasn't killed my poor cassiopeia.  I think I might have just download a build that I shouldn't have.. anyway, sorry for the scare<br><br>reloaded all my stuff, pocketquake runs faster, and you are still the man
Jeff

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 16, 2001 @ 2:30pm

Indeed the version was screwed, so is the one you are using right now... There was a bug and while trying to find it out i toasted mine too (for the 1000th time i think).<br><br>Anyway... i think i have fixed the bug and you should all redownload the file.<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby mutthead » Mar 16, 2001 @ 10:17pm

Howdy,<br>to answer the question 'what did you do right before it froze'<br>I was in the 'options' page, and as a typical male was simply pressing buttons to see what they did, not knowing how to exit the options page, I pressed the calendar button and whammo - frozen and f*cked.  Re-synced with the desktop and all was not lost :)<br>Am running it fine now, lots o fun and I think I should take up a sales position for compaq...<br><br>Could someone tell me how they have their key configuration?  And hey, how do we get it to remember the config?<br>
the Mutt
mutthead
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 17, 2001 @ 9:39am

The landscape thing has been a problem from the start.  Like- from MIPS release 0.01.  As soon ans you select landscape, younfry, I've done that like 15 times!  Thank god for the Windows registry editor, I dont have 15 diferent PPCs!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions