This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Jimmy's Doom not working! Nor Quake!

Jimmy's Doom not working! Nor Quake!

Postby Warren » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:12am

I have a Casio EM-500, and neither Pocket Quake, nor Jimmy's DoomCE works! :-( It has the gfx.wad error for Quake and I can't figure it out! Everything is in the right places, and all the right files, it just doesn't like me. Or it could be because Quake isn't meant for the EM-500's MIPS processor. But, Jimmy's Doom doesn't work. I have a horizontal Doom from somewhere else, but the graphics and controls are really bad. I got Jimmy's, but when I start the game (black screen doing all the loading things) it crashes. It then makes a .doc error file thing:<br><br>Windows CE Doom - Debug <br>FileR_InitDataInitTexturesInitFlatsInitSpritesInitColormapsR_ <br>InitPointToAngleR_InitTablesR_SetViewSizeR_InitPlanesR_InitLightTablesR_ <br>InitSkyMapR_InitTranslationsTablesSupported sound <br>format(s):11.025 kHz, mono, <br>8-bit11.025 kHz, mono, 16-bit11.025 <br>kHz, stereo, 8-bit11.025 kHz, stereo, <br>16-bit22.05 kHz, mono, 8-bit22.05 kHz, <br>mono, 16-bit22.05 kHz, stereo, <br>8-bit22.05 kHz, stereo, <br>16-bitW_GetNumForName: %s not found!DoomCE Shutdown. <br><br>Help!! I at least want 1 first person shooter to work nicely!!! Someone HELP!! I'm going to die! I have all the right files! I have at least 9.3Mb for program memory! WHY!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!! Thanks.
Warren

Re: Jimmy's Doom not working! Nor Quake!

Postby Dan East » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:23am

I have no idea what's up with the Doom ports. However, with Pocket Quake if you're getting an error loading gfx.wad, then:<br>The pak0.pak file is still zipped (.zip). Unzip it one time so it is pak0.pak.gz.<br><br>The pak0.pak file is corrupted. Try copying the pak0.pak.gz file onto your device again.<br><br>The pak0.pak.gz file is in the wrong place.<br>It needs to be in \quake\id\pak0.pak.gz NOT \My Documents\quake\id\pak0.pak.gz.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 16, 2001 @ 9:27am

Just a thought, why not send that Debug error message TO JIMMY. I think he'd no a WHOLE LOT more about HIS work than WE would. Oh, I forgot. Caps is meant as yelling isn't it? 8)
Moose or Chuck

Postby Warren » Mar 16, 2001 @ 2:55pm

You know, I think Jimmy would know more, why didn't I do that in the first place? I feel dumb. Ok, but, with Quake, the pak0.pak.gz IS in the right place. Storage Card/Quake/id1/pak0.pak.gz . Pak0.pak.gz may be corrupt, I got it from pocketmatrix.com though, and have tried redownloading it and retransfering it to my Casio. And it is extracted once, from pak0.pak.gz.zip to pak0.pak.gz. Where else can I download it from? Thanks.
Warren

Postby Warren » Mar 16, 2001 @ 5:53pm

I GOT QUAKE TO WORK!!! I'm SO HAPPY! I got the MIPS version and now it runs beautifully! Well, loading takes forever, and textures are screwed-up (distant walls are grey) and you can see through doors, which is more of a cheat than an error. But, does Pocket Quake only supposed to be the demo? Well, I guess if it was the full version, it would be illegal, and would be huge.
Warren

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 17, 2001 @ 9:45am

Ummm...No.  The Thing works, you go to "Menu" on the control skin, then you select "New Game." Or something like that.  Its not just a Demo.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 17, 2001 @ 10:02am

I think that when Warren says Demo he means Shareware..<br><br>Warren: If you own the full version of quake you can copy the pak0.pak and pak1.pak from the full PC version to your Pocket PC - It'll help to have a memory expansion card though.
Mr Visitor

Postby Warren » Mar 17, 2001 @ 12:01pm

I do have the full version, well, my friend does, I'll get it from him. I have a 64Mb MMC storage card, with only 25Mb left. Is that enough? Probably not. And yes, I did mean shareware before. I timed the time it takes from clicking pocketquake.exe to when you get to move around and kill things. Exactly 15 minutes! And to load a single level, it takes 5 minutes! In computer time, this is insanely long. I saw on another thread, that if you extract the pak0pak.gz down to just pak0.pak, it makes a huge difference. Hey Dan or 999, or anyone else, can you post up on the downloads page the normal pak0.pak, so us lazy people won't have to download that gzip thing? Thanks.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 17, 2001 @ 12:41pm

You can use winzip to extract the pak0.pak.gz.zip to pak0.pak.gz AND use it to 'ungz' the pak0.pak.gz to pak0.pak
Mr Visitor

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 17, 2001 @ 12:46pm

The slow loading is because the .PAK file is compressed, hence the .GZ second extension. This is to allow PocketQuake to fit entirely on to a device. What's being given up is the speed of loading the game.<br><br>To make it load faster, decompress the .GZ'd .PAK file (or use a straight .PAK file) and store it on a memory card, again, in the \quake\id\ directory on the memory card. I don't know if you'll be able to fit the registered .PAK file on your memory card, especially with only 25 MB left, but for comparison, Quake 2's .PAK is 69 MB. I imagine Quake 1's would fir on your memory card if had nothing else on it. Just note that having a memory card on all the time you play will eat you batteries a little faster.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 17, 2001 @ 12:49pm

I know what you mean Micheal, I have Quake on my 1GB MicroDrive and the little blighter could suck power for Britain :)
Mr Visitor

Postby Warren » Mar 17, 2001 @ 1:13pm

Thanks, I'm gonna put the whole registered one on it, I can delete some games to free up memory. Thanks.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Christian Sexton » Mar 17, 2001 @ 4:01pm

I have Warrens problem, when the program starts I see the demo, I open the menu and surf the options, double click on satr new game but nothing happens<br>Can you help me?
Christian Sexton

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 17, 2001 @ 4:27pm

Are you trying to 'click' with the stylus?  if so use the 'action' button on your pocket pc.  On the iPAQ press the 'd-pad' in the center.<br><br>If this is not the case, sorry!, perhaps someone else can help?
Mr Visitor

Postby Warren » Mar 17, 2001 @ 5:37pm

It's weird. When it's loading a level, it says "Load Failed", but it still works. To go into new game, you have to press enter. I have a Casio EM-500, the enter button is the black roller thing on the left side (not the infrared). Press that thing straight in to press enter.
Warren
pm Insider

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions