This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

For those of us who've read the faq...

For those of us who've read the faq...

Postby lunian.tripp » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:17pm

I've an IPAQ and I'm attempting to run quake.  I've followed the faq, read through the forum, and run into a wall. I get the dreaded "w_loadwadfile: couldn't load gfx.wad", like many others and I can tell you what I've done so far.<br><br>1. created the recommended directory structure \quake\ID1 in the my pocket pc root dir.<br>2. placed auto exec config and pak0.pak.gz into ID1<br>3. placed gx.dll into the windows dir of my device<br>(this file was extracted from the pocketquake0051_arm zip that I downloaded from the site)<br>4. placed the quake exe into windows\start menu\programs\games as recommended<br>5. downloaded everything again in case a file was corrupted<br><br>I can't tell that I've done anything out of place. Any suggestions?
lunian.tripp

Re: For those of us who've read the faq...

Postby Dan East » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:33pm

Make sure you've decompressed the pak0.pak.gz.zip file one time so it is pak0.pak.gz. Windows File Explorer may be hiding the .zip extension from you.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby lunian.tripp » Mar 19, 2001 @ 6:39pm

Thanks for the tip. I took the faq literally " pak0.pak.gz file into the /quake/ID1/ directory you created on your Pocket PC." I moved pak0.pak into ID1 and I'm now able to run quake, though only in landscape mode. I'll go back through the faq to sort this out.<br>
lunian.tripp

Postby Dan East » Mar 19, 2001 @ 6:48pm

Okay, the autoexec.cfg included in 0.51 is a little agressive performance-wise (it sacrifices rendering quality for performance). It also defaults to landscape. You can modify the following line in autoexec.cfg from:<br>vid_mode "1"<br>to:<br>vid_mode "0"<br><br>You can comment out the following 2 lines for full rendering (to get rid of the grey walls) by adding two slashes to the beginning of each line:<br>//r_maxedges "some numerical value"<br>//r_maxsurfs "some numerical value"<br><br>Dan East<br>Last modification: Dan East - 03/19/01 at 15:48:05
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby lunian.tripp » Mar 19, 2001 @ 7:16pm

Changing from landscape to portrait was an improvement, thanks.<br>Quake is occassionaly causing fatal errors. I'm not sure what that's about but I've too much important data on my ppc to risk a hard reset and I'm too lazy to backup everytime I want to play a game.  I appreciate the work you've put into the port and the fact that you are willing to answer questions.  Keep up the great work... I'll be back!
lunian.tripp

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions