This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Can this be true? Quake on a PPC?!?

Can this be true? Quake on a PPC?!?

Postby J1m3 » Mar 19, 2001 @ 7:55am

I can hardly believe i'm reading this!?!! I'm going to be getting an iPaq soon, and am totall stoked that it will be able to play quake!!! <br><br>Just a few questions... How many FPS are we actually talking here on the regular ID levels (on an iPaq)? <br><br>Also, this one button iPaq bug/design fault, does that make playing this screwed? <br><br>And how does the TCP/IP stack work? Just connect to regular quake servers or QW? <br><br>I can't wait!!! These iPaq's are looking better every day! doesn't that chopper alley game look nice too ay?
J1m3

Re: Can this be true? Quake on a PPC?!?

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 19, 2001 @ 10:21am

I'd wait a little bit. There's lots of stuff going on in the PocketPC World right now. iPaqs are being fixed, New versions are coming out with bigger RAM, and @migo's may yet see the light of day.<br>     Just be sure that the PPC is the one for you. There is no real BETTER, It's more of what you prefer. The iPaq may have 2 more FPS in Quake than a Casio, but Casio Quake is still just as playable. Casio's screen is bigger and brighter, glare resistant and smaller than Ipaq's with a CF sleeve on. You can even over clock your Casio so it's just as fast (in MHz anyway). Don't rush into getting a generic Pocket PC. Just don't get a Jornada, that's the only sure thing.
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Mar 19, 2001 @ 2:31pm

Yeah, make sure to do some reading before you purchase a PDA.<br><br>I own both a Casio and iPAQ, and there are up and downsides to both devices.<br><br>I'm currently using my iPAQ 99% of the time, I suppose a perfect PDA would warrant 100% of my usage time.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 19, 2001 @ 3:53pm

A few corrections regarding the iPaq "facts":<br>No iPaq has ever had less than 32 MB RAM, so I don't know how you got 16 MB. The new models have 64 MB.<br>The D-Pad also contains a fire button, which can be pressed at the same time as a direction. Most games are played with the D-Pad for directional control, with optional onscreen buttons to work around the button issue. This doesn't mean that every game must be played with the stylus. The iPaq and the Amigo are also the only Pocket PC's providing PCMCIA support.<br>Even with the CF sleeve, the iPaq is nearly identical in size to a Casiopeia E-105. I don't know if the 115, 125, 500, etc are that much smaller than the 105. If not, then they really are about the same size as an iPaq with the sleeve. Without the sleeve the iPaq is by far the thinnest, lightest Pocket PC.<br>The iPaq can also be operated with the sidelight completely off, in the event that you are in a bright area where there is plenty of ambient light. This of course greatly extends the battery life, and is not possible with standard backlight LCD displays. It has an ambient light sensor that will adjust, or completely turn off, the side light to conserve battery life.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Matt Keys » Mar 19, 2001 @ 3:55pm

Carp, are you aware you were not speaking english on #10:) Wanna translate for people who cant read that(me).
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:26pm

I i were you i would get an @migo, hopefully they are fixed by now.<br>Being a casio user my recommendations might be considered parcial but who cares.<br>Take these things into account<br><br>Ipaq's cons and pros:<br>*) It has a faster processor which will give you an average of 10 fps on pocketquake.<br>*) it can be overclocked via software to make things go even faster.<br>*) Dust gets easily on the screen.<br>*) You can't press two buttons at the same time, so you'll have to play every game with the stylus.<br>*) it has a 12 bit color display<br>*) it is said that it's easier to read in direct sunlight.<br>*) the stereo headphones are inverted.<br>*) you have to spend extra cash if you want to use a compact flash or pcmcia card. <br>*) it's larger if you plan on doing what i just told you.<br>*) You can buy a neat App to turn the display white and use it as a flashlight!!!<br>*) reflashable rom.<br>*) Lame 16 megs of ram (you NEED to have a microdrive or compactflash card).<br><br>Casio's cons and pros:<br>1) slower processor, you'll probably get 6.something as the average framerate on pocketquake.<br>2) you can't overclock the processor via software, you have to open it up to do so, and you can get 7.8 fps (very playable) if you overclock it to 200 mhz.<br>3) Spectacular 16 bit color display<br>4) 32 or 16 megs of ram, depends if it's an E-125 or EM-500.<br>5) no button problem<br>6) no dust problem<br>7) no stereo problem<br>8) the display is very hard to read on direct sunlight.<br>9) Built in CF or MM card slot (less money spent).<br>10) es la PPC mas copada de toda la tierra, le rompe el orto a la Ipaq trola que se la manduca con la leche recien ordeñada y calentita, en pocas palabras, la Casio se garcha a la Ipaq y esta pide mas y mas por el ojete.<br><br>I hope i was of some help. C ya dude.<br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/19/01 at 13:26:35
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:33pm

Well, the light sensor must not be that cool because I disabled it and just use a fixed brightness setting. :)<br>Hmm, I thought #10 contained the words "mount" and "anus"?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:36pm

Yeah.<br>I just said how much better the ipaq was compared to my casio<br>:p<br><br>Just kidding guys, i just love these "My ppc is better than yours" fights.<br><br>Yeah, i was wrong, the ipaq has 32 megs of ram... I guess my heart just wanted it to have 16 megabytes. I didn't know about the light sensor, that's pretty cool.<br><br>Actually, i have never seen an ipaq in person so all this info is what i recall from posts from casio fans. :D<br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 03/19/01 at 13:36:34
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:40pm

jejejejeje, you can't prove that Dan. It's your word against mine<br><br>:D<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 19, 2001 @ 4:59pm

Assuming it was written in spanish :) heres what babel fish says:<br><br>it is the PPC but won of all Earth, it breaks orto to him to the trola Ipaq that manduca with milk is recien milked and calentita, briefly, the Casio garcha to the Ipaq and this is requested but and but by ojete <br><br>Not that that means much :)
Mr Visitor

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 19, 2001 @ 5:17pm

Not even close Mr. Visitor!!<br>I'll tell you what guys, Why don't you ask your spanish teachers and see if they can tranlate it for you, I bet they won't get farther than you did Mr!<br>:o)<br>How about it, anyone else cares to guess??<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 19, 2001 @ 5:21pm

Oh Carp, how you love these squabbles. :)<br><br>Please note folks, Carp is going off of iPAQ hear say and posts.  I strongly feel had he(or any other Casio-Extremist) actually spent some time with the iPAQ up close and personal we'd stop seeing these kind of posts all together :)<br><br>This is backed up by the erroneus "facts" in his lists.<br><br>We love ya all the same Carp ;)  PocketQuake on MIPS just wouldn't be the same without someone as loyal as yourself to the Casio lineup.  <br><br>Kudos :)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 19, 2001 @ 5:24pm

I didnt really expect babel fish to work!<br><br>Have you ever translated anything from to language to another and back again? it sooo much fun - wasted literaly erm minutes doing that until i got board :)
Mr Visitor

Postby Robotbeat » Mar 19, 2001 @ 5:56pm

Actually, I think that a long time ago (before e125, e500, Jornada 545, iPAQ, Amigo, 64MB iPAQ), the iPAQ was only going to have 16 MB, and that was why I bought my e115. Well, I guess I was wrong :). <br><br>Oh well. I don't care if you have the worst Windows CE device ever conceived, AS LONG AS IT HAS NO PALM OS!!! ;) :D Heck, I'd rather have a Psion/Symbian/casioPocketOrganizer/Blackberry/NokiaCellphone Operating System!!!
Die, Palm, Die. If that offended you, then get rid of your Palm OS device.
Robotbeat
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 19, 2001 @ 6:58pm

Foreign languages on a forum is so cool. Especially ridiculing when people try to figure out what was actually said. It really shows who the smartest person is.<br><br>Is Carpe a second year college student or what?
randall
pm Insider

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions