This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Custom Built Map For Pocket Quake Multiplayer

Custom Built Map For Pocket Quake Multiplayer

Postby Fcorp » Mar 15, 2001 @ 12:14am

Fcorp

Re: Custom Built Map For Pocket Quake Multiplayer

Postby 999 » Mar 15, 2001 @ 1:03am

pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 15, 2001 @ 1:21am

randall
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Mar 15, 2001 @ 1:35am

pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 15, 2001 @ 1:40am

randall
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Mar 15, 2001 @ 7:28am

sponge

Postby Fcorp » Mar 15, 2001 @ 3:42pm

999<br><br>Glad you like the map. I would be happy to contribute any maps i can to the cause if you<br>do go ahead with the map pack, which i think is<br>a good idea.:)<br>The tools i used to creat the map were<br><br>1.Wally<br><br>this is to mannage your textures and is very handy. Their site is<br><br>http://www.telefragged.com/wally/ <br><br>2.Worldcraft 1.5b <br>This is the level editor i used to create the level<br>I have used Quool but I perfer Worldcraft for ease<br>of use. This link will give you a direct download<br>this is shareware and costs $30 and also has a 30<br>day trial period :(<br><br>http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10045-100-877772.html?tag=st.dl.10045-106-1.lst-9-15.877772<br><br>I'll look into shrinking the level but<br>      Try reaper bot <br><br>http://www.bluesnews.com/guide/bots.htm<br>      <br>      he wont leave me alone<br>      with three bots on this map.also <br>      I hope with further optmisations Pocket<br>      Quake would be able to support more<br>      bots on this map with less FPS loss.<br><br>Hope thats some help -------Fcorp<br><br>P.S I like Counter-Strike to :)<br>      <br><br>Last modification: Fcorp - 03/15/01 at 12:20:45<br>Last modification: Fcorp - 03/15/01 at 12:42:34
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 15, 2001 @ 5:35pm

Thanks FCORP!!!<br><br>I managed to find WorldCraft lastnight upon catching your mention in your first post.<br><br>I'm a RocketArena2 whore, so I was planning on my maps looking something similar, albeit rather poorly.<br><br>I've built my first of 3 maps I want to create for my little PAK file.  It's a 1 on 1 map, and does better than the default Maps with 3 bots in play.<br><br>If you are interested in creating a hybrid compilation, I'd be more than pleased to have a go at it.  <br><br>I should have my PAK done in a couple of days, nothing fancy, just fraggin' in mind ;)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 15, 2001 @ 9:14pm

Thanks FCORP,<br><br>These custom PPC maps are awesome.<br><br>One question, when making a map, what exactly is most taxing for a PPC map?  Wide Open areas?  Lots of Light sources? Lots of Items?<br><br>I am in the process of trying to fix the points in my map that cause slow down.  I've noticed windows looking into other rooms tend to slow things down a bit, as do a lot of lights.  I've removed a room, and walls, but still get a little chug when I view the map from end to end diagonally.  I'm running out of things to strip down :P<br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 15, 2001 @ 10:15pm

Polys are the main thing to consider when making a map.<br><br>Fcorps map is a perfect example- averages 30 wpolys, with spikes (areas with highest polycount) at 75 wpoly. Spikes that high are rare on his map though. <br><br>There are numerous sites on the internet with tutorials on how to build a (fast, low-poly) map. So discussing that here in detail would be pointless.<br><br>type "r_speeds 1" at the console (without the quotes)<br><br>This command will be your best friend while map making. It displays the number of wpolys the game engine is currently drawing. Walk around your map and make note of areas that give you the highest numbers. Fix those areas and reduce the polys (remove excess brushes, or create VIS blocking brushes). This is what you may see:<br><br>216.3 MS 141/58/43 POLY<br><br>The most important number is the fourth number (43) which tells you the number of wpoly.<br><br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Fcorp » Mar 15, 2001 @ 11:34pm

I agree with randall the more flat surfices you<br>can see at one time the more the framerate drops<br>corridors, simple cube type geometric shapes with<br>intresting textures to make up for lost detail work good to add a bit of spice to the level.<br>with worldcraft you will have got three little<br>programs to turn your design into a playable<br>map the most important one is VIS.if you dont <br>run vis succesfuly then the map will be very<br>slugish.watch out for errors when vis is excuting.<br>Vis will not run if their is a leak.the easyist way to describe a leak is if you imagine your<br>level is full of water and outside your level<br>is the great void (as some call it) then if <br>water touches the great void then you have <br>a leak.to avoid getting leaks be very carfull<br>when placing ,resizing and moving walls floors<br>ect because they only have to be a tiny bit <br>seperated from the wall beside it to let the <br>water out as they say.the best method of <br>safely constructing a level without going into<br>microscopic detail every two minuits to check for leaks is to get used to the Grid settings. This <br>tool will snap the block you are moving to the<br>nearest grid line visable at the time you release the mouse button.it is configurable in sensitivity.<br>I could go on all day but i dont want to spam out the board. just remember leakage is your worst <br>enemy.And vis and type "r_speeds 1" are your only freinds.;)<br><br>__________----------________Fcorp<br> <br>Last modification: Fcorp - 03/15/01 at 20:34:36
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 16, 2001 @ 7:56am

Thanks for all the help Fellas :)<br><br>After reading a few tutorials, I've come up with my basic shape box map :)<br><br>I'm a RocketArena junkie, so I figured smaller RA style maps would carry over okay on the PPC. Although it's setup for 1 on 1, it does nicely with up to 3 bots in.  <br><br>I'm averaging 40Polys, with a max of 59, I hope this is decent. I'll focus more on a lower and consistent polycount in my next map.<br><br>Here's a screenshot (check out the TimeRefresh) :)<br><br>Image<br><br>.<br><br>Last modification: 999 - 03/16/01 at 04:56:39
pm Member

Postby Fcorp » Mar 16, 2001 @ 1:26pm

999<br><br>I have striped down the mall level to make it<br>a bit tighter for a total of four players it<br>could also be helpful to mips device owners<br>to download this version instead. the URL for<br>a direct download is.<br><br>http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/Files/maldm.zip<br><br>its still two storys but sort of chopped in half<br>from top to bottom. Any how check it out.Last modification: Fcorp - 03/16/01 at 10:26:14
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 16, 2001 @ 1:39pm

yeah, that polycount should be nice and fast.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Fcorp » Mar 16, 2001 @ 2:13pm

999:<br>Excellent!! you certinaly achived FFA .<br>I cant belive you only just started.<br>Your a natural. I suppose after all<br>you did once say you would do any thing<br>to get some FFA on your ipaq. Including<br>learning worldcraft LOL.the armour jump<br>is a buzz .Wondering, are you going to get <br>fraged mid flight :D<br>I have updated my level the mall for the <br>last time. (their was one last polygone spike to iron out)Their is now only one version.<br><br>maldm.bsp<br><br>and can be downloaded at the original URL:<br><br>http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/Files/maldm.zip<br><br>More to come______------________--FCORP<br> <br>As a side note do you mind telling me where you got the keyboard with the "ESC" Key?<br>Last modification: Fcorp - 03/16/01 at 11:13:06
Fcorp
pm Member

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions