This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Custom Built Map For Pocket Quake Multiplayer

Re: Custom Built Map For Pocket Quake Multiplayer

Postby 999 » Mar 17, 2001 @ 5:41pm

Mr. Visitor<br><br>Are you editing a shortcut file to launch Quake?  I mean by changing it's command line to launch with the bots running?  If so, it won't work.  As posted by Dan, microsoft totally started from scratch on some aspects of this OS.<br><br>I believe you can get it to run thru the Run line, tap clock and hold while pressing the action button.<br><br>I myself have made my own pak file setup for botmatches only.  With Randall's tip on overwriting the progs.dat file in my pak0.pak file I don't have to enter any command line in to begin the Omnicron bot engine.  All that's required is I setup a multiplayer game thru the  normal menu system.<br><br>I'll post a more in-depth FAQ on this later, but what you basically need to do is use pakExplorer to, move the Omnicron files into the same locations in the pak0.pak file (gfx/progs etc).  Overwrite the pak0.pak file's Progs.dat file with Omnicron's.  Also move the "pop.lmp" file from a registered pak1.pak file into your custom pak0.pak file's gfx directory.  This will allow you to play custom maps, so it's required.  Finally, move the custom maps into the maps folder.  I have renamed my haps to start.bsp and e1m1.bsp.  This way, I can select them from the Multiplayer menu despite being named differently :)<br><br>Finally, start up a multiplayer game and once in the map of your choice, type these in the console:<br><br>deathmatch 3<br>addbot<br>(you can add up to 3 bots without a command line start)<br>--<br>additional commands:<br><br>removebot<br>skill 0 (can go 0-3 in increments i.e. 1.5)<br>noshellcases<br>bottalk 1<br>samelevel 1<br><br>-------------------------------<br>I have made a special autoexec and server cfg file which I will post in my BOT/MAP PAK FAQ in the following days.<br><br>Until then, I hope you can get up and running.  These maps are pretty sweet.  They both have their own play styles, which are great depending on your fragging mood :)<br><br><br><br>
pm Member

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 17, 2001 @ 5:41pm

did you try:<br><br><br>"\storage card\quake\id1\pocketquake.exe" -game omicron<br><br>?<br><br>
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 17, 2001 @ 6:18pm

999: I did use your 'time' run command, and it gave the error I said.<br><br>Thanks to the walk through for messing about with the pak file - if im feeling brave tommorrow I may try it out - although it does seem a little drastic :)<br><br>Chris: I'll give this a go and tell you what happens.<br><br><br>Thanks for all your help, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)
Mr Visitor

Postby hokie36 » Mar 18, 2001 @ 1:59am

A big thank you goes out to 999 for helping me with the bots and posting this info.  I got the bots working and they are owning my a$$ right now.  I guess I need to get used to using something other than keyboard and trackball.<br><br>I'm attempting to get RA working too but so far no real luck.  I think I need to install it on my PC first since I started out with RA2 and skipped playing RA1 altogether.  The real trick is going to be getting RA and the bots to work at the same time without overwriting the progs.dat file.
Prometheus aka hokie36
hokie36
pm Member

Postby Fcorp » Mar 18, 2001 @ 7:55am

"The real trick is going to be getting RA and the bots to work at the same time without overwriting the progs.dat file."<br><br>You may have to get the source code for bots and the mod then compile them together their is one<br>bot for quake that the source code is available<br>for but i dont think he is very good.<br><br>More maps on the way_-_____---____FCORP
Fcorp
pm Member

Need help running the maps!

Postby Justin Nolan » Mar 19, 2001 @ 9:40pm

999: When trying to run either of your maps I get a "Couldn't spawn server" error. I tried both the "run" method and starting a multiplayer games and changing the map in the console "map 999a" and both have the same result. The maps are placed in \quake\id1\maps\ where they are supposed tobe. Im killing myself here getting these to run!<br><br>Please help!!!<br><br>btw: 999 - did you ever admit to being the one working on Pocket SNES? Been away from "the scene" for awhile...
Justin Nolan

Postby Fcorp » Mar 20, 2001 @ 6:50pm

::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::<br><br>Hotel Deathmatch<br>More of the same 2~4 player action in a Modern<br>day hotel setting. Give It a try. Just click <br>the link below to download.<br><br>http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/Files/hotdm.zip<br><br>________---___--____-__Fcorp<br><br>::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::::NEWMAP::
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby Fcorp » Mar 20, 2001 @ 7:32pm

Justin:<br><br>Just as a test try renaming either maldm.bsp<br>or 999a.bsp to start.bsp and place it in <br>\quake\id1\maps\<br>on your device. Now start the game and go<br>to the multiplayer screen. Then start a <br>multiplayer game on the default map which<br>should be Start.bsp. If you end up in the <br>normal quake start map then you know the<br>custom maps must be in the wrong place.<br>Tell me how you get on.<br>______---_--________----Fcorp
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby Brian Kumanchik » Mar 20, 2001 @ 8:19pm

How do I actually use the (downloaded) mall.map in QuakeCE?<br><br>BK
Brian Kumanchik

Postby randall » Mar 20, 2001 @ 10:19pm

Pretty cool hotel map. It retains the details of a hotel (vending machines, computers, beds, tables, etc.) without alot of polys. Even a little outdoor area.<br><br>I've learned quite a few "low polycount" tricks the last couple years. I've decided to design a map for PocketQuake. The map is completed, layout-wise, I just need to create ALOT of new textures.<br><br>Unfortunately I just don't have alot of textures lying around with the limited Quake palette.<br><br>I'd like to have Fcorp and 999 test it before release. I am not particularly good at weapon/armor/ammo  placement and need some suggestions in that area.<br><br>Is there a way for me to post screen shots?<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » Mar 20, 2001 @ 10:29pm

yes.. send me the screenshots and I'll put them up on the server so that you can link to them from the forum..<br><br>chris@pocketmatrix.com
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby 999 » Mar 20, 2001 @ 11:09pm

Chris:<br><br>Ideally, we should host a section on the site devoted to PocketQuake related files, i.e. Maps, configs and any other acceptable downloads.<br><br>Just an idea.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Fcorp » Mar 20, 2001 @ 11:31pm

I'm with 999 on that one. It must be very confusing for newbies who are just tuning<br>in. Links here there and everywhere. To have an extended download section<br>for related files would be great.<br><br>p.s Thanks randall. As far as the level you are making goes.<br>Go for it the more the merryr.
Fcorp
pm Member

Postby Jimble » Mar 21, 2001 @ 12:05am

I have a few ideas...<br>What about special models for Quake with a low polygon count? Also, is there a way to disable the animations when people die (bodyparts flying and the dead bodies)?  Is this built into the model?  We certainly don't need flying body parts and dead people laying on the ground wasting polygons.  It seems to me that the framerate drops when there are more models on the screen.<br>Also, in Quake 3 there is an option to replace pickups (ammo, health, etc.) with 2D sprites.  Don't the pickups waste more polygons?  Could this be implemented into PocketQuake?  I know it'd probably be pretty difficult to do.<br>Lastly, it seems that the screen flashes slow down my E-115 a decent amount.  Am I just imagining this?  Can this be disabled?<br><br>Mostly I'd like to see PQ models cuz they seem to slow it down a lot.
Jimble

Postby 999 » Mar 21, 2001 @ 2:08am

Jimble:<br><br>The polycount on the models is already pretty efficient.  As for the flying gibbage, IMHO that's one of the best parts about Quake.  Q2 or Q3 still couldn't quite recapture the carnage factor of Q1.  The blood however can be toned down by a particle setting.  It's set to 100 in the ARM autoexec file.<br><br>I'm not so sure about the dead bodies, don't they disappear after a while anyway?<br><br>
pm Member

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions