This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Unpack PAK0 if you can... WOW !

Re: Unpack PAK0 if you can... WOW !

Postby Fcorp » Mar 12, 2001 @ 8:34pm

Randell<br><br>Concerning your demo problem. Personaly I have<br>Discarded the demos (got sick of waiting to<br>watch some other dude playin and besides them<br>things take up space)by editing the "quake.qc"<br>File just open it up (with any text editor)<br>and delete the line that says.<br><br><br>startdemos demo1 demo2 demo3<br><br>then get rid of the ".Dem" files altogether.<br>
Fcorp

Postby randall » Mar 12, 2001 @ 10:24pm

Yeah I edited the Quake.rc file by just commenting out the demos instead of deleting them:<br><br>//startdemos demo1 demo2 demo3<br><br>If I ever need to play the demo, I can add this to my autoexec.cfg file:<br><br>timedemo demo1<br><br>I still don't know why the demoX.dem files have to be packed in a PAK file.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 13, 2001 @ 3:40pm

Boy Randall, you are right. These .pak files are intriguing! ~
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby randall » Mar 13, 2001 @ 4:28pm

LOL<br><br>Phat, you are the funniest, most intriguing person I have ever seen online~<br><br>And your non-sensical blathering NEVER gets old~<br><br>Seriously, I know this PAK file stuff sucks and my posts are excedingly long. But I doubt I was writing this for Mr. "wah-don't-take-my-stars-away".<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 13, 2001 @ 5:11pm

well randall<br>thanks for your input~<br>I was agreeing with you from another post of YOURS!  Asshole~
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 13, 2001 @ 5:39pm

Hey look! I created a trend! Tildes!
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 13, 2001 @ 5:40pm

Hip hip horray~
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 14, 2001 @ 7:34am

You know, you don't have to use sarcasm in every sentence~
Moose or Chuck

Postby OrBy » Mar 16, 2001 @ 1:21am

gotta add my .02<br><br>you can balance the unpacking/packing for size vs performance !<br>1) unpack all the files you want to load on the pocket pc<br>2) take all the maps and repack then into 1 pak file<br>3) compress that pac file with gzip<br><br>this way your pocket pc will have all the speed it needs when loading model's sound and menu's AND the maps (the biggest files in the game) will be the smallest you can make them.<br><br>i did this with the regged version of quake and it takes up 27mb +/- total and loads and moves like the dickens !<br>this is in comparason to to loading 55+ mb of unpacked data onto you pocket pc ...
OrBy

Postby Dan East » Mar 17, 2001 @ 11:55am

Just FYI (this may be common knowledge already), if you unpak the .pak file so you have many individual files in subdirectories, it will both take more storage space, and take slightly longer to load. Here's why: the FAT filesystem used by CE has an allocation size of 4096 bytes. That means that each individual file's size is rounded up to a multiple of 4096. Thus, statistically, you can add on 2048 bytes per individual file. Plus, each subdirectory entry takes up somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k.<br>It takes longer to load because with a pak file, Quake opens it once and keeps it open. The pak file contains an index showing exactly how far to offset into the file to access a particular subfile. So to begin loading a subfile Quake does a single seek into a file that is already open. In the case of individual files, Quake has to ask Pocket PC to open the file. The OS then has to find the file, allocate a handle for it, then do whatever other overhead filesystem crap needs to be done. Then Quake can begin reading the file, after which it is closed, and the OS has to deallocate those resources.<br><br>Just an FYI thing...<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby hokie36 » Mar 17, 2001 @ 12:17pm

Right now I have everything uncompressed on my storage card.  Dan, are you saying it would be better to keep the files in the paks?  
Prometheus aka hokie36
hokie36
pm Member

Postby 999 » Mar 17, 2001 @ 2:13pm

Wow, I haven't seen the nick Prometheus in a long time :)<br><br>I used to know a TK-Prometheus back in the Q1 days.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby hokie36 » Mar 17, 2001 @ 2:26pm

Well I've used this nick for about 4 years in RocketArena 2 and 3. I never did any clan Q1 stuff though.
Prometheus aka hokie36
hokie36
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 17, 2001 @ 6:34pm

About the FAT tables- yeah, that's even true for desktop computers. Although the numbers are different.<br><br>Loading unpacked files should be slower, but I haven't noticed any difference. PocketQuake loads in 5 seconds; that includes the intitialisation files and completely loading a map. It's about 10 times faster than my desktop computer loads WinQuake. Harddrives are so slow.<br><br>I unpacked my files for convenience more than storage concerns (I like to mess around with the files). But I can see how re-packing the files would save more space.<br><br>Quake seems to look for PAK0.PAK first and if it doesn't find it, it just quits looking for any additional PAKS. It would be nice if PocketQuake would just grab the first (and all PAK files) it encounters and read through them as necessary. That way we could have 999.PAK, Fcorp.PAK, Realworld.PAK or any other name we like. Similar to Unreal Tournaments file structure (although UT's load time sucks)<br><br>I don't know how this would affect Program Memory, if at all. Is this possible or is it just a lame idea altogether?
randall
pm Insider

Unpacked Pak1.pak

Postby Supertofu » Mar 18, 2001 @ 3:12pm

what program do i need to unpak the file, and is there anyplace where a condensed, yet unpacked .pak file exists?
Supertofu

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions