This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Unpack PAK0 if you can... WOW !

Quake speed on em-500

Postby Supertofu » Mar 18, 2001 @ 3:16pm

Does unpacking really change the speed of the game on loadup.  As it is, it is brutally slow right now.  Also anyone heard of a software overclocker for em-500 yet, or any casio for that matter?
Supertofu
pm Member

Re: Unpack PAK0 if you can... WOW !

Postby 999 » Mar 18, 2001 @ 3:32pm

SuperTofu:<br><br>UnGzipping speeds it up dramatically on loadup.<br><br>Additionally, I've read that there is a slow transfer rate issue with the mmc on the EM-500.  The new update patch is supposed to have fixed that.  Try installing that patch and see if your load times get better.  I don't have a link handy, sorry.<br><br>Alternatively, you could just make a custom pak file with just the bare essentials and keep that locally.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Warren » Mar 18, 2001 @ 4:04pm

I have a Casio EM-500, and I put Quake on the MMC card. I also have the update (it's on the CD), but the load times are still insane. 15 minutes from pocketquake.exe to shooting. The update was 2.4. I don't see a difference though. I don't think overclocking would make that much of a difference. Oh, when I try ungzipping pak0.pak.gz, the pak0.pak is 0 bytes.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 18, 2001 @ 4:20pm

There has been a more recent update, downloadable on the website. NOT on the CD. It's version 1.01 and I have the file on my HD if anyone REALLY needs it.
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Mar 18, 2001 @ 4:53pm

I can't remember exactly how I ungzipped my file, I know I used Winzip- can't remember if I had to download gzip or not. I do remember it screwing up once and creating a 0-byte file. I just ungzipped it again.<br><br>ungzipping makes a big difference. 15 minutes to load is just insane. My casio e-125 loads PocketQuake in 5 to 15 SECONDS, depending on the size of the map.<br><br>Unpacking isn't necessary, unless you want to make modifications to the files like 999 and I have done.<br><br>I use QPED 2 to unpack my files, but there are a million other programs that will do the job just as well.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 18, 2001 @ 5:03pm

Well, Casio devices must be particularly bad at something else besides floating point math. It takes around 30 seconds to startup with an iPaq, and 10 seconds to load a level, with a gzipped pak file.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Mar 18, 2001 @ 5:19pm

It takes that long to load on an Ipaq? Wow, I was impressed with the new load times of the 0.051 MIPS build, it is a good 5 seconds faster. I click the PocketQuake exe and almost instantly the "about" screen pops up.
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 18, 2001 @ 5:21pm

Oh, wait, you were talking about the Ipaq loading the gzipped file.<br><br>I still never had it take 15 minutes to load a gzipped file.
randall
pm Insider

autoexec.cfg

Postby Supertofu » Mar 19, 2001 @ 3:10am

Anyone have an autoexec.cfg for teh em-500 which has the keys mapped out and autorun-always on?
Supertofu
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 19, 2001 @ 9:19am

The startup time was reduced with the 0.04 version (the MIPS 0.04 was not the same). I removed a routine where Win Quake would "touch" all the bytes in the heap to make sure Windows actually made all the memory available to Quake up front. That is not necessary with Windows CE.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby OrBy » Mar 21, 2001 @ 11:55am

I have a request to the mips pocket quake team:<br>can you please code in the ability to have pak files split over internal memory and cf/sd storage?<br>what i have done is taken registered quake 1 and extracted pak0 and pak1 into a folder retaining their dir structers and then repacked them - the the maps go into pak1 and everything else goes into pak0. then i gziped pak1 and left pak0 alone. this get registered quake down under 30mb (9mb pak0 and 29mb pak1) i would like to keep pak0 on internal memory and pak1 my 48mb flash card. i have tried to do this but it fails to find any maps when i start the game (but it does load) you could keep the hard coded path's and i belive that this would be very easy to do.<br>ie:<br>startup<br>check \quake\id1\ for pak files (remember whats there)<br>check \storage card\quake\id1\ for pak files (remember whats there)<br>start quake....<br><br>anyway just a suggestion that could make it quicker for me and others...<br><br>and this will make it quicker as i notice that playing the game i get the little pent symbol in the upper left witch means that its loading files and that slow it down - the symbol does not appear as long when using pak files from internal memory only...<br><br>keep up the good work !!!
OrBy

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions