This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketSyndicate *repost

PocketSyndicate *repost

Postby Jeff » Mar 20, 2001 @ 9:26pm

<<< I know that thread should be in the developer's discussion, but forgive me, as I'm not the first to be off topic. (and I dont think anyone reads the developer's discussion anyway) >>><br><br>Basically, I want to get started on a PPC version of BullFrog's (now EA) Syndicate Wars.  I realize there is no source for it (a port would be almost impossable anyway) but I don't believe the engine would be very difficult to rewrite (nothing close to the difficulty of PocketQuake).  The only problem I can see would be extracting maps/graphics/sounds from BF's data files.<br><br>Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas??  Would anyone be interested in a version of Syndicate??  Is this even legal??
Jeff

Re: PocketSyndicate *repost

Postby randall » Mar 20, 2001 @ 10:09pm

You can't use their intellectual property, which includes the graphics, maps, sounds, etc. that are specific to their game.<br><br>Many MODS have been shut down because they utilized anothers intellectual property.<br><br>Reading the datafiles is fairly simple, it's the rendering/logic engine that's so complex.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Jeff » Mar 21, 2001 @ 8:52am

If the port required the data files to be copied from the original CD (they would not included with the distro), then I think this would qualify as "fair use".  It would be open source, hence no profit, and for a game thats not being produced anymore (BullFrog never even released the Win95 patch), no real damages.<br><br>Legalities aside, I still think the engine would be simple.  It's really not a 3D game at all - just a basic isometrc tile blit'ing engine would be needed.  But I have *no* clue on how they set up those data files.. have you ever looked at them?  ..some ugly sh*t
Jeff

Postby Warren » Mar 21, 2001 @ 8:04pm

Maybe you can do the original Syndicate, which I think is better than the newer Syndicate Wars. The old one has real guns and is more violent in my view. And because the old Syndicate is older, it may be easy to port than Syndicate Wars. I remember the ol' days of Syndicate, that was my first aerial view game, and I was addicted to it. Then I got Syndicate wars, and the sequel is not as good as the original. I mean, Syndicate Wars doesn't have the Uzi!!! Instead it has plasma guns, gausse guns, laser guns... where as Syndicate has Uzis, mini guns, machine guns... and it's bloodier. Thanks.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 21, 2001 @ 8:33pm

Yeah- that law was passed because Atari bitched at Sierra On-Line in like 1981 for taking Pac-Man and made it Gobbler which was better and faster.  They settled out of court, but it was a Class-Action case.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 22, 2001 @ 7:36am

Warren, the older the game the harder it is to port. Maybe not clone, but porting is harder. <br>I've never played Syndicate anything so I don't know the game you're talking about? Was it that 2D Platform game?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jeff » Mar 22, 2001 @ 8:38am

It was basically a 2D overhead view point & click shooter, no real "rendering" involved.  Definately more a strategy game than action.  However, even the newest Syndicate (Syndicate Wars) was originally made for DOS (although I was incorrect before, it should run on win9x/me).  I don't think a clone would have any problem running on a PPC... if you haven't checked the game out you really should.. you can probably find it for $2.99 at your local software store.<br><br>And Syndicate Wars did have Uzis!  That's what you started with.. although you could always ditch them for the minigun before playing the 1st level.  Plus you could play either the COTN Epoch or the Corp.  Fun.
Jeff

Postby Warren » Mar 22, 2001 @ 4:26pm

Maybe Syndicate Wars did have the Uzi, but Syndicate Wars doesn't have as much blood, only this green shield thing around the person. Still, I just think Syndicate is better than Syndicate Wars. Remember the persuaderton, that thing was funny.
Warren
pm Insider

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions