This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

To all the port beggars...

To all the port beggars...

Postby Sparky009 » Mar 25, 2001 @ 1:42am

First off, while I, as many of you do, want to see my favorite games of yesteryear ported to the pocketPC, I don't believe any of the begging is speeding things up at all.<br><br>There are a few important things to keep in mind that inhibits us from porting games and programs. The most important of which being the source code's availability. Quake was ported because id software released the source for it. id software is currently one of the most liberal commercial producing companies in the world in this respect, thus it is HIGHLY UNUSUAL FOR A COMPANY TO RELEASE THE SOURCE TO THEIR PROGRAM OR GAME, unless, of course, they're id software :). Wolfenstein's source, while released, is written for a 16-bit processors. Porting this code over to a 32-bit compiler and processor (which doesn't support the x86 backwards compatability) is extremely time consuming and fairly/extremely difficult. This isn't to mention the other factors: screen access, control, sound, etc. All of these factors, in fact, have to be redesigned for each and every port done, as no program you believe should be ported was designed for an ipaq. Other games you have mentioned: Duke3D, Simcity, etc. are all impossible to port because THERE IS NO FREAKING SOURCE AVAILABLE. If the source was available, don't you think someone would have thought of the possiblity of these programs by now? Also, please respect the lack of feasability of porting all the other programs you've mentioned: Quake2, Half-life, etc. Please, for the love of God, consider that Quake was designed to be played on a pentium 75 at a decent framerate (roughly 15 FPS), and we're BARELY getting 10 out of our version, and the processors we run are 200 MHz. It is simply idiotic to hope for the kind of performance for these things to be playable at all until we devise SOME WAY of making things faster, and from what the situation looks like now, I doubt that's going to happen in the near future.<br><br>Like I said, I agree that I'd like to see these ported, but this is HARDLY the place to beg the people who brought you an amazing port to do it again, better, bigger, and with no tools to perform the task. Please, stop asking. You're cloging the boards with meanial discussion.<br><br>If you really want to see these things ported, contact the companies. They're who you've got to bug if you want to see em ported.<br><br>One more thing. If you WAIT to see something ported, it gives a bit more of a "wow" effect than if you beg to see it ported. Not that you'd care, but sometimes that's a good thing.<br>Last modification: Sparky009 - 03/24/01 at 22:42:01
Sparky009
pm Member

Re: To all the port beggars...

Postby Mr Visitor » Mar 25, 2001 @ 4:09am

Well said! <br><br>...but could you just port...<br><br>:)
Mr Visitor

Re: To all the port beggars...

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 25, 2001 @ 7:45am

So, should I start being assertive and locking posts? :D MuahahahaLast modification: Moose Master - 03/25/01 at 04:45:15
Moose or Chuck

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions