This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

SH-3 VERSION OF PQ UP AND RUNNING!

Re: SH-3 VERSION OF PQ UP AND RUNNING!

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 9:21pm

any other ideas dan?
Jay
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 28, 2001 @ 9:49pm

Not really. You can try playing with the struct alignment values under C/C++ tab, Code Generation category.<br><br>With a Debug build special debug versions of various functions (particularly memory allocation / deallocation) are linked to. These functions do a whole lot of extra stuff to verify that memory is properly deallocated, not written past what is allocated, etc. The use of the debug versions of those functions may work around the real problem.<br><br>The final thing to do would be to modify the Release config so that it contains browse info. Then you could debug into a release build to see where it fails. I've had to do that a few times, but I don't exactly know every setting that needs to be changed off the top of my head. I beleive you need to (this is changing the SH3 release config of course):<br>C/C++ tab, Listing Files category.<br>Check Generate browse info<br>Browse Info tab.<br>Check Build browse info file.<br><br>You should then be able to launch a debug session on a release build on your device. Try some different struct alignment settings just for the heck of it first.<br><br>Dan East<br><br>
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 28, 2001 @ 9:58pm

Jay, i got your message.<br>I'm not sure what problem my first sh3 release had, i think the problem was that only monsters and items were displaying and the scenery was gray.<br>I don't know what other problem the second SH3 release had since i don't have a jornada.<br>So what problem are you experiencing?<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 9:59pm

the first problem was that an error kept coming up right after it loaded the demo and was starting to attempt to display it, then in your second release, it wasn't drawing the walls and floors etc.
Jay
pm Member

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:00pm

I keep getting that error
Jay
pm Member

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:07pm

All the debugger says when I run it with my release version is there is a datatype misalignment error.  Then, it gives me some assembly code.  However, I don't think we're going to figure it out from that.
Jay
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:11pm

well i only released the build where walls weren't displayed. That was my build and the first, the second one was just a 0.05 build that i didn't modify to see if it worked.<br><br>It's very hard for me to tell you how to get around the error, when i was actually working on pocketquake i made dozens of small changes in the code to see if i could get it to run faster. In the process the sh3 error disappeared.<br><br>Perhaps you should try disabling sprites and the sky and see if you have any luck there. If it doesn't work then i don't know what else can i do for you since i put my hands on many other places in the code. Perhaps i still have a copy of the old pocketquake source that i modified.<br>Ohhh, one more thing, look for a function called recursive world node or something like that and try commenting the whole content out. Of course this is not a way to fix this but to track if the problem lies in that function.<br>I'm telling you to do this because now i remembered that i intentionally aborted that funcion prematurely in a fool attempt to increase performance.<br>Actually, i would bet on recursive world node. Give it a try.<br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:14pm

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.  I'm really tired.
Jay
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:14pm

don't you have an icq number?<br>i never tried ver 0.41b on a jornada i think. Perhaps it works. would you try it for me?<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Jay » Mar 28, 2001 @ 10:20pm

what?
Jay
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 29, 2001 @ 5:18am

It's very hard for me to tell you how to get around the error, when i was actually working on pocketquake i made dozens of small changes in the code to see if i could get it to run faster. In the process the sh3 error disappeared.<br><br>Actually, I'm certain the error was still there. Windows CE has poor exception handling (does not support ANSI C catch and throw, instead uses MS's proprietary version which does not support stack unwinding). What that means is that the exception handling is unreliable and does not always get thrown completely to the top. This was just happening with another project I'm working on today. When the error occurs it kicks out of the call stack a few levels, but the Application Error dialog is never displayed and the app keeps running. That explains why there was no rendering and the FPS was super high with your SH3 version. The error still occured, it's just that whatever changes you made happened to throw a wrench in MS's exception code so that the exception didn't make it all the way out.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 29, 2001 @ 5:23am

Jay, you're almost there. It's just that the source was not embedded in the exe. Go to the C++ tab, General category and change the Debug Info to "Program Database". Then when the exception occurs it should take you right into the source. I thought that I had forgot another debug setting.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jay » Mar 29, 2001 @ 6:00am

Ok, I'm debugging now.  Don't you have an ICQ or something Dan?
Jay
pm Member

Postby Jay » Mar 29, 2001 @ 6:01am

I mean:<br><br>Don't you have an ICQ Dan?
Jay
pm Member

Postby Jay » Mar 29, 2001 @ 6:03am

Ok!  Here's where the problem is!  Yay!
Jay
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East