This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Mayday...Mayday

Re: Mayday...Mayday

Postby 999 » Mar 29, 2001 @ 3:32am

Well, realistically, the PAK file doesn't have to be hosted at all.<br><br>When Dan first announced PocketQuake, he gave links to the sharware files, and the link to the Gzip software.<br><br>With the latest trend in unGzipped PAK files, it's questionable if Gzipped PAK needs to be hosted at all.<br><br>Just a thought.<br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Mar 29, 2001 @ 5:03am

Doesn't the webmaster have access to the log/stats to see where the bandwidth is being used?<br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 29, 2001 @ 6:50am

50% of the bandwidth is used transferring mpg and other multimedia files. 43% is used for Quake related stuff. Hmmm...<br><br>BTW, the Quake bandwidth should continuously go down, because more and more people will only be upgrading the actual exe instead of completely installing, thus the pak files will be downloaded less over time.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Mar 29, 2001 @ 6:55am

That's what I was thinking (PAK being downloaded less), and wondered if anyone had access to the logs. Apparently Dan does.<br><br>What MPG/multimedia files would those be? Am I missing something here?
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Mar 29, 2001 @ 7:03am

wait, nevermind. I saw the Multimedia stuff. I was thinking "PocketQuake" related multimedia for some reason.<br><br>Well, no wonder the transfer is so high, with all those movies and stuff.<br><br>Last modification: randall - 03/29/01 at 04:03:21
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Mar 29, 2001 @ 7:07am

The Pak file is definitely the largest single thing taking up bandwidth. The mpg downloads are distributed over many different files.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 29, 2001 @ 7:49pm

well, can't you publicly host it on Geocities?  linkit to there from here. boom, 50% eliminated, $400!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 29, 2001 @ 9:55pm

The pak file here is gzipped already for convinience, and I'm sure a slow geocities account would love 80gb of bandwidth a month.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Hooded » Mar 29, 2001 @ 10:26pm

I'm sure planetquake would host it. Sourceforge might do it too.
Hooded

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 30, 2001 @ 8:07am

And it definitely needs to stay gzipped as the download link. Otherwise people wouldn't bother to even download PQ. Atleast analog modem users like me.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Mar 30, 2001 @ 8:38pm

That's not true, when I first heard of Pocket Quake, I would have downloaded the pak file if it was 30megs, even on my 28k modem.  The same would be true for any PQ newbies.  I think the original idea of just having the offsite links to the pak and gzip is a good idea.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators: