This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake for the Jornada 720, and a beta tester

Quake for the Jornada 720, and a beta tester

Postby Rob » Apr 8, 2001 @ 2:57am

Rob

Re: Quake for the Jornada 720, and a beta tester

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 8, 2001 @ 4:54am

Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Apr 8, 2001 @ 5:12am

The biggest hurdle to building PQ for pre Windows CE 3.0 devices (non Pocket PC and non HPC-Pro) is that it would have to be ported to a certain extent. Windows CE 3.0 added in full support for the ANSI stdio file routines (previous versions only supported the UNICODE versions). What this means is that a stdio library would have to be created, or Quake would have to be modified to support UNICODE and call the wide character version of the stdio functions. The problem is further exacerbated by the inclusion of gzip routines, which also require a great deal of stdio function calls. That would have to be ported as well for PQ to support gzip (which is a necessity for most people).<br>In other words, supporting CE 2.11 (and H/PC CE 2.0) would require a great deal more work than what was required to produce the MIPS / SH3 versions for Pocket PC, and it is pretty much a known fact that it would not be playable on those older devices.<br>Adding support for HPC-Pro devices would be a much easier task, and should result in a playable product (unless you wanted to run them at 640x240 resolution).<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 7:37am

Um, Dan?<br><br>Hardware:<br><br>206 Mhz StrongARM SA111x processor<br>2D graphics acceleration<br>32 MB RAM<br>56K internal Modem<br>PCMCIA type II slot<br>Compact Flash type I slot<br>Smart Card slot<br>Stereo headphone jack<br>Voice Recorder<br>Touch Screen input<br><br>The Jornada 720 runs Microsoft Windows Handheld PC (H/PC) 2000 Operating System. This OS is a modified version of the Pocket PC version of Windows CE 3.0. <br><br>
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 8, 2001 @ 7:49am

Oops, I had the 720 confused with the 420 PSPC. Then as I said, it wouldn't be difficult to port to H/PC Pro. Basically direct screen access routines are needed.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 7:57am

Technically, wouldn't the Ipaq version 'run' on the 720 (the display would be completely messed up but it would atleast run) due to hte same processor?  Then all that would have to be changed from the ipaq version would be the diplay routines.. oh yeah, just just said that. :)  Btw, I was just wondering how relevant it was htat I like little boys, I'm going to go find out.... and if anyone wants to moderate, i.e. destroy the thread, ban the users ip number from his ip, etc. please feel free. (couple posts down)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 8, 2001 @ 10:02am

I have no idea what would happen using gx.dll on a device it was not intended for. I had always assumed that the ARM gx.dll was specifically (and only at this time) designed to work with the iPaq's display hardware.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 10:59am

Well, I guess there's only one way to find out... Rob? If you want to try something, download gx.dll from Microsoft at:<br>http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/downloads/developer/gapi.asp<br>make sure you get the arm version<br>and then put the gx.dll in your \windows\ directory<br>Then download the PocketQuake files for Ipaq and follow the download instructions excplicitly, don't start complaining about gfx.wad files, if you do, that's not the problem, if you have troubles like that read the FAQ post below....<br>Then try running it and first, see if it runs at all, does the program start? and then when and if it does, the graphics should be all messed up and you won't be able to do a thing.... or this might not work at all.  So, please go ahead and try it.  By the way, I'm not responsible for your 720 breaking or blowing up or not working ever again, try at your own risk. (make sur eyou do a backup first). But I'm curious to know the results. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 8, 2001 @ 11:25am

Well, I just thought of another issue. PQ calls Pocket PC specific functions to show and hide the SIP. These are located in aygshell.dll. I doubt HPC-Pro devices have that DLL, thus PQ will not be able to start.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions