This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Bots wont work

Re: Bots wont work

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 4, 2001 @ 3:47pm

randall, thanks for the reply.<br><br>I didn't rename anything but whichever map I load using 'map mapname' with the reaperbots loaded comes up with cannot spawn server 'mapname-jumpe.bsp'  Like I said I'm used to Quake/Halflife and most 3d schmups and custome games/mods but there is something quirky about the setup of the ppc.<br><br>Any other ideas ?  I have already tried everything else suggsted or documented.<br><br>Yes the maps are in the right directory.<br>Yes I have the registered version <br>Yes I've followed your easy guide<br>No it doesn't work.<br><br>H E L P   MEEEEEE ! PLEASE !
Gods Gift

Postby randall » Apr 4, 2001 @ 5:18pm

Well, I can GUESS where "-jump" is coming from, but it doesn't make any sense.<br><br>"+jump" is usually bound to a key, and "-jump" is automatically generated to keep the player from continuously hopping. How that would get appended to a console command, I don't know.<br><br>Are you pressing the ACTION button (or any other button) after typing the console command? At first I thought pressing a button would cause the problem. So I tested it on my e-125 and PocketQuake ignores binds while the console is down, just like it is supposed to do. So that doesn't appear to be the problem. <br><br>Does it only happen when the reaperbots are loaded? How about running a map via CFG file?<br><br><br>Last modification: randall - 04/04/01 at 14:18:05
randall
pm Insider

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 5, 2001 @ 12:55am

Ok, I've changed my autoexec file to include the reaperbot one and to activate the map autoamtically.<br><br>This all works and I can load another map successfully at the console by typing map mapname.<br><br>However, at NO POINT can I get any bots !!!<br><br>I type addbot and get no response.  How can I check that the progs.dat is being picked up ?
Gods Gift

Postby randall » Apr 5, 2001 @ 3:06am

You'll know if the reaperbot is running- when you start a map a message appears across the screen: "server running reaper bot ver. <whatever>".<br><br>If you see the message then the CFG file is at fault.<br><br>Try binding "addbot" to an unused key/button instead of typing it at the console.<br><br>bind aux4 "addbot"<br><br>There are also other bots you can try. Omnicron is popular.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 5, 2001 @ 3:17am

off topic question, Where can i get the ppc specific maps???
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Apr 5, 2001 @ 4:56am

I think they're remaking the Pocket Quake site with a section on things like that
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 5, 2001 @ 5:58pm

I don't get any message about spawning a reaperbot server.  I get the normal message of spawning server but absolutely no mention of reaperbots.<br><br>The progs.dat file is in ID1.  Is there anything else I need to do to get PQuake to recognise that it's there?  <br><br>Should any of the cfg's have a reference to progs.dat ?  <br>
Gods Gift

Postby randall » Apr 5, 2001 @ 6:54pm

Progs.dat isn't initialising then.<br><br>I guess the only way you can run a bot is to unpack your PAKs and overwrite the progs.dat. You can repack/gzip them with the bots progs.dat if you want.<br><br>OR, run it from the startup command line.<br><br>OR, make a shortcut, if you are handy with this kind of thing.<br><br><br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 10, 2001 @ 4:37pm

Thanks Randall.<br><br>How can I point to the progs.dat using a shortcut or at startup ?<br><br>is there anything like -set game to point towards the progs.dat ?
Gods Gift

Postby randall » Apr 10, 2001 @ 5:27pm

Actually there is a -game setting to point the engine to a different path. It looks like Dan commented out that startup command.<br><br>So without that command, you can't use a shortcut. AND you can't RUN it from the startup command line. Sorry about that, I thought someone said it was fixed in version 0.051, so i never bothered testing it. <br><br>Can anyone else verify -game doesn't work? Please tell me I'm wrong (and an idiot) and it works just fine. :)<br><br>The other startup commands seem to work (except heapsize)
randall
pm Insider

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 11, 2001 @ 12:07am

That would explain alot.<br><br>I've been trying -game on a couple of different bots and nothing works.<br><br>But if that's the case how are you're reapers working !!!
Gods Gift

Postby randall » Apr 11, 2001 @ 3:35am

I forced them to work by unpacking the PAK files and inserting/overwriting the PROGS.DAT file. That way if the reaperbots progs.dat file isn't working, the game won't load at all. <br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Apr 11, 2001 @ 7:22am

I've just put up another modified Pak - my Pak for Jornadas (low mem) with the new Reaper progs.dat inside - just start a game normally and type 'addbot' (or impulse 205) at the console...<br><br>Oh yeah, remember I only put start.bsp in my Paks, I use dm6 for play and thats in my id1/maps folder so you'll have to do the same if you want more maps<br>Last modification: Paul - 04/11/01 at 04:22:34
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 11, 2001 @ 9:33am

exactly what i did. download pakexplorer, delete unwanted maps, overwrite the normal progs.dat with the reaperbots, then go at it, slight problem if you want to play normal quake but blah thats boring anyway
Moose or Chuck

Postby Gods Gift » Apr 11, 2001 @ 4:15pm

Thanks guys I obviously missed that one straight from the start and have been struggling since !!<br><br>Paul, thanks I've been to your site and downloaded the new pak and will give it a whirl.<br><br>Randall, thanks for all your help and patience.  <br><br>Bots here I come !!!
Gods Gift

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions