This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

iPaq Benchmark needed

Re: iPaq Benchmark needed

Postby Dan East » Apr 17, 2001 @ 7:54am

It's good to see quality appreciated, instead of just faster, faster, faster! :) On the iPaq it will crash on occasion right when the player spawns. I think it may depend on the spawn location. From what I can see around the exception dialog box that pops up it looks like it is one of the outside spawn locations.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Apr 17, 2001 @ 8:22am

I'll look at the map file and see if there is anything nearby that would cause problems. Sometimes being off by 1 unit will result in screwy behavior- which isn't the engines fault.<br><br>I noticed an odd behavior earlier, which I can't reproduce yet. I respawned where the rocketlauncher is supposed to spawn. The normal spawnpoint for that area is on the other side of the rooftop.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 17, 2001 @ 9:12am

Okay, I've tested it some more, and whenever I respawn at the spot near the rocket launcher PQ crashes. It also seems to respawn very seldom at that location compared to the others. I don't know if that's something you have control over or not, but it hardly ever uses that spot. Do you test it under WinQuake too?<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 17, 2001 @ 9:21am

ya i've noticed that i don't spawn near the rockets much either. but ii'm on a mips device. i've never had any maps crash on me though. hmmmm... the plot thickens. I TOLD U IPAQS STINK :)
Moose or Chuck

Postby randall » Apr 17, 2001 @ 9:57am

Yeah, I always test it under WinQuake... actually that is where most of the debugging is done since it is a pain to compile, synch and run on PPC constantly. As long as I watch my r_speeds the maps will run fine on PocketQuake.<br><br>I don't have control over the spawnpoints- like how often or when. <br><br>I was playing against 4 bots for about 25 minutes, and no errors occured. A check of the mapfile doesn't show anything different than any other spawnpoint. <br><br>I can't imagine what it could be.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Apr 17, 2001 @ 10:04am

It could just be bringing out a bug in one of my fixed point conversions. I've gone to that respawn spot and looked around thoroughly and not encountered any problems. However, the position and view angles would have to be exactly that of the spawn spot, which would be almost impossible to align manually. I don't know how Quake determines the respawn spot. If I play without any bots, and die, then I always respawn at the same place inside, so its obviously not random. I think it tries to place you the furthest from the other players, even though I have respawned in a room with two other bots.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions