This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

A Jornada 720 version using the new GAPI

Re: A Jornada 720 version using the new GAPI

Postby R0B » Aug 2, 2001 @ 6:50pm

Ok, I would like to make a new update soon, but I need some input from you guys.  Aside from a faster verio (give it time), what do you guys want to see in the next version.  Anything at all, including the dreded larger screen.  So, just post your requests, and I'll do my best to fufill them.
"1011001010 NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" -Bender
R0B
got muffins?

Postby Anthrax » Aug 3, 2001 @ 1:02pm

Yeah Rob, can you tell me why I haven't been able to play demos (other than the ones in pak0.pak)?<br>I've tried two so far, they cause PQ to lock up.  I can't think of a reason why it would play demo1.dem etc. but not st4reel.dem.  I have the needed maps in the pak, so it's not that.  BTW, rather than load pak1.pak on to my 720, I edited pak0.pak to include pop.lmp in the gfx folder and to add whatever maps I need for the specific level I'm working on.  Could it be there's another file from pak1.pak needed to run custom demos?
Anthrax

"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns." --Jack Handey
Anthrax
pm Member

Postby R0B » Aug 5, 2001 @ 6:06pm

That would be my guess.  I don't think that there are any loading bugs.  Also, I don't know much about Quake loading in general, but mybe it looks for certain files like pop.imp in places other than pak0.pak.  I would recomend sending what you have to a person with another version of PQ (different device), and see if it crashes on theirs too.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby esw » Aug 5, 2001 @ 6:25pm

I have a casio e-125, and I was going to do a timedemo of a demo I made for my custom map. But then it froze right after I typed in the command :(. I don't, however, have the whole pak1.pak installed. So the problem is not 720 - specific.
esw
pm Member

Postby R0B » Aug 6, 2001 @ 11:16am

Yeah, it did that to me too, but I thought that it was just a problem with the demo that I made.  Maybe it isn't recording the demos, or maybe it is looking for the cd track or something.
R0B
got muffins?

Problems on German 720

Postby muecke » Aug 7, 2001 @ 8:01pm

Unfortunately I can only confirm the problems on my german 720. I am not able to get past the GAPI dialog, neither by pressing enter nor by tapping the OK button.<br><br>If I can be of any assistance in resolving this problem, just email me.<br><br>Regards,<br>Wolfram.
muecke

Postby John Lomax » Aug 8, 2001 @ 5:57am

what happens when you tap the ok button..<br>Does the gapi dialog re-appear?
John Lomax
pm Member

Postby R0B » Aug 8, 2001 @ 11:36am

There should be no reason why GAPI nag screen should reappear.  GXBeginDraw is only called once, and the way that larry has set it up, all of the values that you usually test with gapi to see if it is working, are not returned (so I just have them return one in the wrapper).  Here is way my guess are right now (but more info like ram amount and stuff could be helpful). 1. The german 720 requires you to reload the video pointer every time (I don't think so though).  2. your pak0.pak file is currupted (yet again, not likely).  3. the german version returns a wierld value somewhere, and that meeses it up.  I will make up a new version that gives you a bunch of checkpoint messages if you would like, and this way we can see where the error is.  Tell me if you are interested.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby R0B » Aug 8, 2001 @ 9:41pm

OK, here is the answer to your solution (I feel so stupid).  In the german version of the 720 the video buffer is located at a different address (I think).  I have started another thread to help find where the poiunter is located.  All I need, is someone to tell me how to get evc to respond to my 720 (it won't connect).  Once I have this, I will write a simpal and easy to follow (double possitive) tutorial on how to find the video buffer pointer on your device (and everyone elses), and that way Quake can work on every device.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby muecke » Aug 9, 2001 @ 2:51pm

Hi Rob!<br>I you need additional information (i.e. want me to run some program with debug output etc.), no problem. Just e-mail it to me.<br><br>To John: Yes, it does reappear as soon as I close the window.<br><br>Thanks in advance!<br>Wolfram.
muecke

Postby R0B » Aug 9, 2001 @ 3:24pm

Ok, I don't need to send you the program, because I know the exact problem.  Sorry for saying that the nag screen should never reload, because it should if this typ of problem occurs.  The function GXBeginDraw returns the video pointer.  It is stored in the variable "pScreenBuf".  Quake then checks to see if pScreenBuf is valid (i.e.) if the return value was not zero.  It does that with this line. if (!pScreenBuf) return 0;  Now here is the problem, the soup that I am cooking is boiling over in the other room (actually that's my problem, I'll be right back).  But seriously, Larryies GAPI checks the device ID and then gets the buffer info.  My guess is that the German 720 has a different ID (and that I should have cooked the soup on medium and not high).  I am going to spend some time today finding out all about this with the debugger, and then I'll gat back to you if I need you to get the device ID for me.  Hope to solve this problem soon (and sorry for not giving it more attention earlier).
R0B
got muffins?

Postby R0B » Aug 9, 2001 @ 4:47pm

Ok, I'm getting closer to finding a solution to your problem (I already cleaned up my problem with a towl.  This is more towords HPCPro users.<br>What is the color depth of the 680?<br>What is the color depth of other HPCPRO's.  I am going to start working on your port, but I need this info.  Thanks.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby gamefreaks » Aug 15, 2001 @ 8:36am

he J680 has a 65536 color screen. There is however, two screen drivers. A 256 Color and a 65536 Color, Both of which can be downloaded from HP's site.
gamefreaks

Postby R0B » Aug 20, 2001 @ 4:44pm

Have any German 720 users run Larry's GAPI demo yet?  If you haven't, could you please try it?  If you don't have EVC, then tell me, I know it is a lengthy download (it took me a week using getright), and I will comile and send you a version of it.  This is very important to determining if it is Quakes fault (and in turn possibly my fault), or if it is the GAPI's fault.<br><br>Also, I plan to have a new version of Quake ready by the end of this week.  Here is what you can expect in it.<br><br>1. A new resolution that takes advantage of the full screen.  Yes, I know, I finally gave into the presure (even though I thing everyone who liked critising people was on my side).  I actually doesn't look that bad.  I'm sending the non debug version to my 720 now, and If I can, I'll tell you the fps by the end of this post.<br><br>2. I plan on adding a menu that, if pak0.pak isn't found, then it allows you o choose the folder that it is in.  I will then have it remember this, and have it always look in this folder (I'll start this today).<br><br>I just started the time demo.<br><br>3. I'm going to reinstitute the mlook feture.  I didn't really understand it when I took it out, and it should be put back in.<br><br>4. If I get time, then I will work on eliminating GXBeginDraw from the program, and use my own version to get the screen buffer.  I still feel that larry needs credit though, since I am getting the buffer address from his lib, so maybe I'll add his name to the opening dialog (maybe).<br><br>5. I am going to add my own music, so when playing Quake, all you here is the Pokemon theme song (lol, just kidding).<br><br>6. I am going to add this line of code to increase fps by 20.<br><br>fps += 20;<br><br>(lolol).<br><br>7. But seriously, you have five days to give me suggestions for other things.
R0B
got muffins?

Postby R0B » Aug 20, 2001 @ 4:50pm

Ok, here are the time demo results for 640 x 240.<br>4.7 fps Without a config file<br>5.0 fps with mooses config file (slightly modified, but not signifigantly enough to effect fps).<br><br>So, I guess that I should say, I goofed up (but so did other people).  The fps is not half as low, because it only calculates the pixel once, it does take time to draw it on the screen though.
R0B
got muffins?

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions