This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PQ2 Smooth Sailing on Samsung SCH-i730

PQ2 Smooth Sailing on Samsung SCH-i730

Postby allquixotic » Apr 12, 2006 @ 5:48am

Hello,

Just thought I'd post letting everyone know that PQ2, in all its unoptimized glory, runs beautifully on the Samsung SCH-i730. Must be that 520MHz Intel XScale... ;)

I had some initial problems with frequent crashes at various points due to RAM. I have to tell Windows Mobile to really cut back on the program storage available so that I can get more RAM out of the shared storage/RAM space. A gigabyte SD card provides plenty of room for the game's files though.

Once I got the game running, the only real tweak I made was to bind attack to JOY4 (a central blue button on the SCH-i730's interface.)

I noticed the game needs about 20 megabytes of RAM available to run stably. It can display the GUI (but not view the demo) before crashing if 16 MB are free... it can run the demo with 17 or 18, but trying to play will crash the game.... at around 19.5 MB you can actually load the first level and start to kill monsters.

One interesting quirk is that you can play the game and load multiple levels and stuff -- it works once you've got your 20 megs of free RAM -- but when you go to load a game later, it just starts you at the beginning of the level you were on. Not sure why there would be an application error so high up the chain if this is compiled from Q2's sources. Could have to do with file I/O.

I have captured a screenshot of me firing a gun on the first level (not the demo roll) using Microsoft ActiveSync Remote Display. Having this program on kills the framerates on the device (from 20 - 30 fps to 5 - 10 fps) so I didn't have the patience to play until I got a BFG before showing you guys the results. This is not an emulator! Remote Display takes a screenshot of exactly what's on the PDA's screen every 50 milliseconds and sends it to the desktop PC. I simply took a screenshot of the screenshot sent to the PC.

Many thanks to Dan East; all in all, a great job done 3 or 4 years ago has led to a happy gamer who will be proudly playing his Quake 2 on buses, trains, and in college classes just to show that his device has the highest density of gaming power to size of any other device out there. :cool:

Regards,
Sean
allquixotic
pm Member

Postby sponge » Apr 14, 2006 @ 6:20pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East