This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

The Elegant Universe

The Elegant Universe

Postby Blade Runner » Jan 30, 2006 @ 1:39am

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program | PBS

I love this. Maybe some of you already know all these things but I found this pretty interesting.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick. No, I've never seen that.
Blade Runner
pm Member

Postby David Horn » Jan 30, 2006 @ 4:35pm

I think they were showing this program in the UK a few months ago. I only caught a few minutes before I headed off to uni but was very impressed with the quality.

I couldn't understand why they were showing it in the middle of the schools' programs though, as I'm a 2nd year physics student and a lot of the stuff was way over my head*.

* Excuse: If this program explained things in a simple and clear way, it means I was obviously watching something else that was far more complex. Ahem.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby Blade Runner » Jan 30, 2006 @ 9:52pm

No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick. No, I've never seen that.
Blade Runner
pm Member

Postby James S » Jan 31, 2006 @ 4:38am

I thought it was a very simple way of describing a concept, and would have been better without the "quantum cafe" and other ridiculous visualizations. By bringing the quantum world to the macro it destroys what's interesting about it in an attempt to make it popular or spectacular. In my opinion it's really quite fantastic that an electron has the ability to spontaneously overcome energy barriers without the input of energy (quantum tunnelling), and other such nifty stuff. Just spend 10 to 15 minutes describing real electron orbitals and how they work and ... the show would be more true and sadly fewer people would watch it.
James S
pm Insider

Postby jurgen » Feb 1, 2006 @ 2:28am

jurgen
pm Member

Postby Blade Runner » Feb 1, 2006 @ 5:43am

Blade Runner
pm Member

Postby James S » Feb 1, 2006 @ 2:39pm

James S
pm Insider

Return to Anything Discussion

Sort

Forum Description

Post all off-topic messages here, almost anything goes.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions