This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Argentum Name Already Used

Re: Argentum Name Already Used

Postby Dan East » Jun 15, 2001 @ 12:51pm

Yeah, I doubt Ford Motor Company would mind at all if Toyota started selling cars under the name "Mercury". :)<br><br>Dan East<br><br>Last modification: Dan East - 06/15/01 at 09:51:07
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jun 15, 2001 @ 1:14pm

I don't give a shit, nobody "owns" a word, they can sue me if they want, what can they take from me?, my dirty underwear?. hehe.<br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby 999 » Jun 15, 2001 @ 1:15pm

Good Ol' Carp, you just wouldn't be the same without that chip on your sholder ;)<br><br>
pm Member

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jun 15, 2001 @ 1:17pm

Juara jua jua!<br><br>(lol in spanish)<br><br>Hey 999, stop being such a girlie and reinstall icq.<br><br><br>
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 15, 2001 @ 1:22pm

nope, install AIM!
Moose or Chuck

Postby Paul » Jun 15, 2001 @ 1:44pm

hes not stupid, chuck
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 15, 2001 @ 4:44pm

My ICQ is broken. I think it's because of that "int divide by 0" message I got twice when I defragged yesterday. I thought MS was smarter than to divide by 0.<br>So what is the result of dividing by 0? Would it be 0 or null? No, the answer would be infinite, wouldn't it? 10^100^1000 is infinite you know. And the universe is expanding at the rate of e^1, the same rate single celled organisms grow (that's the universal constant). Let's debate the significance of the number 0 and all of it's facets, shall we? Or even more interesting is null. What is null? Nothing? But nothing is SOMETHING, isn't it? Because nothing can be defined it is something. What do you guys think (so that excludes Chuck for obvious reasons)?<br><br>(sorry Chuck, I enjoy cutting into people. Nothing personal)
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Jun 15, 2001 @ 5:13pm

Moose:<br><br>I can't remember where I read it last, but some dude posted a huge FAQ on "0". It was part of an explanation as to why the Millennium actually occurs in the year 2001, and not 2000 as the masses of cretans out there would like you to believe. <br><br>
pm Member

Postby randall » Jun 15, 2001 @ 5:20pm

It doesn't require a huge FAQ to explain why the Millenium starts at 2001. We start counting at 1, not 0.<br><br>null is simply a placeholder.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Jun 15, 2001 @ 5:20pm

Great, here we go off-topic... 1/0 != infinity because of the fundamental flaw in our mathematics that states that n*0=0. Multiplication by zero causes a loss of information, which of course in mathematics is unacceptable. Since we throw away whatever value n had, we cannot take the inverse to recover its original value. Thus to cover we say that 1/0 is undefined, because we may not have preserved multiplications that have occured against the 0.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby randall » Jun 15, 2001 @ 5:23pm

For those of you that don't know:<br><br>   !=<br><br>means "not equal"<br>
randall
pm Insider

Postby Diego Cueva » Jun 15, 2001 @ 7:26pm

Mathematics! Go away! ahhhh. :)
--------------------------

Last modification: Diego Cueva - 04/31/03 at 17:32:04
I´m currently listening to my PC´s fan
SMRF founder
Peace
Diego Cueva
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Jun 15, 2001 @ 7:53pm

As I recall waking up in Algebra class one day, wiping the puddle of drool from my chin and the desktop...<br><br>As the denominator approaches 0, the quotient approaches infinity.<br><br>Any number divided by 0 is undefined, not infinity.<br><br>All of a sudden I'm sleepy.  Zzzzzz...
Digby
pm Insider

Postby CARPEDIEM » Jun 15, 2001 @ 8:20pm

0 /0 is undetermined, n/0 is infinity.<br>Get your calculator and check out the numbers hehe, that's the easier way.<br><br><br>Last modification: CARPEDIEM - 06/15/01 at 17:20:28
CARPEDIEM
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jun 15, 2001 @ 8:24pm

Ok, I have a pie. If I divide it into two parts, I cut it in half. If I divide it into 0 parts does that mean I don't touch it or that I ate the pie? And if I ate the pie, what if a number is a pie? Does it go to the place were deleted files go? So, I cut the pie into 0 parts means I don't cut it at all. But if I cut it into infinite, would that be the equivalent? By cutting a pie into finite parts you can witness a size decrease. But if I cut it into infinite parts the pieces would be infinitly small meaning I have no pie: The equivalent of eating the pie. And since dividing the pie into 0 pieces (by my theory) is the equivalent of eating the pie we have the same outcome in calculation, but the practice is not the same.<br>This is all, of course, assuming we can cut a pie without making a loss to the pie as a whole (meaning the blue berry juices don't get stuck to the knife).<br>But since division is the inverse of multiplication, doing the inverse calculation would result in an equivalent answer. So multiplying by infinity is like dividing by null or 0. But the whole rudimentary use of multiplication is unusual. Addition and subtraction are the only truly unflawed elements of our mathematical system. And the entire theory that aliens would send us messages in mathematics, such as the 1,3,7,11 sequence, is equally erroneous, since that is based upon the inverse of our multiplication, division.<br>So it really comes down to a question of why 2 times 2 is 4. Actually, why we would use that kind of mathematics when 2 plus 2 is 4 is much simpler.<br><br><br>...<br><br><br>So, 1 x infinite is the same as 1 / 0.<br>
Moose or Chuck

PreviousNext

Return to Argentum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Ionside's groundbreaking RTS title

Moderators:

sponge, CARPEDIEM, John Lomax, Malmer

Forum permissions