This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Pong

Pong

Postby Dr. Phat » Feb 16, 2001 @ 4:30pm

The one thing i really miss about my palm is that i cant play a decent freeware game of pong on the PPC.  That would be cool.  Everyone loves Pong.  Someone (DAN EAST), i lay myself upon your tender mercy, can we have a no crap pong game?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Re: Pong

Postby Moose or Chuck » Feb 24, 2001 @ 7:29pm

LOL... Mike, that was really funny...<br>ahhem, but yes. I can't believe there isn't a pong game for PPCs.
Moose or Chuck

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 7, 2001 @ 1:36pm

Hmm, I'm thinking iRda head-to-head along with a computer controlled player option. Should be full screen, since there won't be much of an interface. The jog wheel/scroll buttons would move the paddle up and down the screen (intuitive and found on nearly all WinCE devices.) And for those two player games each device's screen could be half of the playing field (or a little bit more for overlap.) That way it wouldn't be quite as confusing as to which paddle is whom's and what goal is whom's. Well, that, and it's just plain cool.<br><br>There are some problems with the head-to-head idea, though. Not all devices have the iRda port on the same side (like Casio's line has it awkwardly on the side.) Also, a "prediction client" would need to be incorporated for those times the link gets interupted. The probelm could also be lessened by making the ball move slower, which would also give those playing with monochrome screens a fighting chance against those with Color TFT Active Matrix screens, due to the speed at which each type of screen can update.<br><br>Oh, last thing. It needs a name other than Pong. For one, Pong is kind of boring. A better reason is that the name is taken.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 7, 2001 @ 4:09pm

How about Slap! Or Tong, or Ping?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 8, 2001 @ 3:06pm

It could be Long, or Cong, or PPong (hey, that was a good one).
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 8, 2001 @ 3:50pm

how about- Fool'sFool, or GroundhogFromHell Pong?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 9, 2001 @ 3:21pm

Or Potatoe (yes, with the 'e'), or Onion. Or Mashed, or Grilled.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Matt Keys » Mar 9, 2001 @ 4:51pm

now im hungry
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 9, 2001 @ 7:37pm

How about- love that chicken pong?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Dan East » Mar 9, 2001 @ 10:03pm

Nothing like some good-ol', hardcore programming discussion. :P<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 9, 2001 @ 11:48pm

Okay, I've come up with a few nams to suggest:<br>Air Hockey<br>Gliders<br>Goalies<br>Whack Back / Smack Back<br><br>I'd also like to say I really wouldn't use ping for two reasons. It's as boring as Pong. Also, There's the utility called 'PING' which would make it confusing.<br><br>Now that that's out of the way, are there any other suggestions or comments on current suggestions?
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 10, 2001 @ 9:16am

how about tattarattat- it is the longest palindrome in the english language, and it has only been published in one dictionary, the 1956 Oxford dictionary. I dont quite know what it means, but i like to think that since pong is about hitting a ball back and forth, a Palindrome would be quite fitting. dont you?
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Daniel Jackson » Mar 20, 2001 @ 11:17pm

Hmmm... I know it's not really a Pong-game, but I've always found 'Arkanoid'/'Breakout' games more fun!  I've made one called 'Batty'. ()<br><br>There are several things 'wrong' with it still -- like no install, no high scores, the ball's too big, difficulty with multi-ball and sticky-bat, no documentation, etc. etc.<br><br>Anyway, just thought I'd say this if anyone wants A ball game.  (But perhaps nothing but Pong will do!)<br><br>  Dan<br><br><br>-- <br>Daniel Jackson, Pocket PC Games Developer<br>support@danieljackson.co.uk<br>http://www.danieljackson.co.uk/pocketpc/<br>
Daniel Jackson

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 21, 2001 @ 7:01pm

Daniel- I have Batty, but Pong by any other name is not pon. I also like playing PONG, not Breakout.  Its just something about the CP's paddle that is really amusing! Back and forth....
Mike Greene
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Jay » Mar 29, 2001 @ 3:10pm

Question:  If I were to program a pong game, how shall I program the AI?  How would it work?
Jay
pm Member

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions