This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

MS Word

Re: MS Word

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 1:50pm

eVB so includeing becomes alittle harder. at first i figured it would be much easier to use eVB because its better for appz, BUT i don't really feel like writing a complete .bas file and finding best API functions to create a text editor that'd be a pain in the ass since the documentation is soo horrible witth emmbedded tools.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 7, 2001 @ 1:51pm

i don't believe i'm good enough at C++ to write this, considering i've never written anything but DOS for C++.  VB is my fortay. simpler is better :) I am taking classes tthough to learn more C++.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 12:25am

dan do u know where i could find a good explanation of the uses of inkx.dll & that other dll. If not how hard do u think it would be for me to start from scratch and create a pocketpc version of an rtf dll.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 1:16am

ignore the last thing i said, i found where to get the information, but i was thinking of instead of using richink which is just like .rtf, to use html, i could just make it display the html acting as a view, and as the user entered data  it would auto update the source. so the screen would be split into two areas one for view and one for entering data. Then when they saved it'd save as a htm but when they sync with the computer they can use a html - to - rtf. I already have the source for that. Sure it'd be a little more of a pain for the user, BUT much cleaner for me :) and  it wouold also have alot more support and easier for me to add more and more functions and stuff. I believe the only hard part is to auto update the source, but if i used vb i could just "Private Sub Text1_Change()" . any thoughts suggestions?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 8:32am

Why not try gathering your thoughts and posting once. Like me and my 706 posts :D
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 12:02pm

i know well sorry ,i was typing as i was learnin about new stuff, me and this guy were talkin about makin it and the pros and cons of different routes, i can't decide if i should use htm format then convert to .rtf or use the richink command, probably the hardest, or to use NS Basic because of built in rtf support.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dr. Phat » Apr 16, 2001 @ 3:22am

Sorry, this post is a little overdue, its in response to the first page of this thread.<br>Who really, i mean REALLY uses word on their PPC enough that it needs to hog all of their memory?
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby k » Apr 16, 2001 @ 3:44am

There are some people, that use Pocket Word, a good deal of the time. So the need and want is there, and I don't think this program (or programs) would need to be a memory hog. <br><br>First of all, I know nothing at all about programming. However, I'm sure that there is a way to write some of these features in different apps. Like a "Word View" program for instance. I know there would be some definete interest in that alone.<br><br>How about an seperate spell check app that check words against Transcribers/CE's internal dictionary (Calligrapher on CE 2.1 used to do that, remember?).<br><br>I don't think these program NEEDs to be hog. If they were broken down into programs that focused on one thing - people could pick their functionality.<br><br>I don't know. For me personally, and a lot of other people, the word processing capability was a major selling point for CE. I don't see why expending some extra RAM would be a big deal (especially if each program was seperate - and only opened when you were using it). The suggestions I listed were all from myself, or a number of other people who are unsatisfied with it's built in features.<br>I know the want and need is there.
k

Postby k » Apr 16, 2001 @ 3:55am

This is what really send me off the deep end. Look at this program for the palm. If they can make it - why can't we make a few programs to augment ours?? I don't know - I think it could be done.<br><br>[url][/url]http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wordsmith_details.html
k

Postby Dr. Phat » Apr 17, 2001 @ 4:10am

I'm waiting for dan to tell us its impossible because it requires floating point math that isnt supported but is also very slow.~
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Matt Keys » Apr 17, 2001 @ 4:52am

I heard an explanation of that somewhere ont the boards. It went something like, While the PocketPC can not do real floating point math it can emulate it. But emulating it is VERY slow. Dan's example was if you could add but not multiply, and you wanted to do 3*4 then you could add 3 four times. But if you could multiply 3*4 it would be much faster.<br><br>I think he said it better:)
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Dan East » Apr 17, 2001 @ 7:11am

I don't exactly see what 3D engines based on floating point math have to do with Word Processors. Any Pocket PC device could easily handle word processors with far more capability than Pocket Word. In fact, I can't think of a single feature Word 2000 has that a Pocket PC could not handle. Of course you wouldn't want to waste 2 MB of storage space to store animations of a stupid talking Paper Clip, but as far as the formatting, page layout view, grammar checking, etc., it could be done.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 17, 2001 @ 9:06am

actually i use Pocket word every day to take notes in class.
Moose or Chuck

Postby k » Apr 17, 2001 @ 11:28am

It's also my impression that whatever a palm can do (as far as programs), a pocket pc can do - better. If a palm pilot is capable of having a Wordsmith program, CE can do it three fold. I certainly don't see a reason why it shouldn't be able to. <br><br>Now obviousy the programming for the platforms is completely different, but we have upwards of 4 times the processing power.<br>Am I looking at this problem the wrong way?
k

Postby Dan East » Apr 17, 2001 @ 9:06pm

From what I've heard, and from looking through Palm's API and development tools, it is easier writing Windows CE software (more consistant, much more robust API, etc). Further, there are more programmers out there for Windows than any other OS. Adapting from Windows programming to Windows CE is very easy.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions