This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

ArchonCE - help wanted

ArchonCE - help wanted

Postby suchiaruzu » May 19, 2001 @ 6:17pm

Hi,<br>do you know Archon? Archon was a C64-Game and it still rocks. There were some Sequels, like Archon Ultra for PC and: There is a version for the palm.<br><br>Here is a description of the gameplay:<br>"Archon Ultra is actually chess meets D & D - you move your pieces around a chess board A La chess, but when a piece enters an occupied space, it does not mean sudden death - the two monsters have it out, and the winner of the fight, that envolves magical weapons and special powers, occupies the space. Like in chess, there are two sides - the white side, representing the "good guys", and the black side, representing the evil side. Each side has its share of monsters and fighters, each with their own special magical abilities. For example, The Phoenix, which is the white side's strongest piece, has a "homing feather" - a small feather like missle attack that moves toward its enemy - as well as the ability to turn into a huge fire and burn anyone within range to death. Its arch-rival, the evil dragon, has a fire breathing attack, and a poisonus gas attack. Each creature has a certain number of hit points, as well as a "Block Per Turn" speed, which represents the number of blocks he can move, per turn. Some creatures can fly, and thus can pass over other creatures, while some can only walk on land. Also, each side has a magician that can cast a small number of spells. Although these are not very useful, they add some variety to the game. The spells include Summon Elemental, which brings forth an Elemental to fight one of your enemy's creatures, Imprison, which denies any action from a creature, and Revive, which brings a dead character back to life. These spells can only be cast by the Wizard or Sorceress, and each can be used only once per game."<br>I'd like to have this really cool game for my PocketPC and start programming, but<br>a) I'm not familar with programming yet, but with graphics<br>b) I think it's impossible to do it alone.<br>Please help me doing it. Palm has it, we can do it better! Any kind of help welcome! Just msg me or write me an E-Mail!<br>ThanksLast modification: Shapeshifter - 05/19/01 at 15:17:16
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Re: ArchonCE - help wanted

Postby Dan East » May 19, 2001 @ 6:32pm

Well, the actual coding (gfx, gameplay, etc) would be very straight-forward. The trouble areas would be creating the images and animations, and the AI required for the game to play a respectable game of chess in single player games. I would suggest finding some source for an existing chess game. I'm sure there's some out there. The primary purpose is to find a good set of routines that can play chess. You may be able to find the source for Archon, which would of course result in the best approximation of the original.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby suchiaruzu » May 19, 2001 @ 6:34pm

I'm gonna ask them if they send me the routine of deep blue ;-)<br>No, really, i found some kind of routine, but it is not programmed. It isn't the one for chess, either. Archon plays on a 9*9-field. I think there is a Linux version - XArchon and a sequel - Archon Evolution or something. I'll ask the developers!
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » May 19, 2001 @ 6:50pm

i played that on my laptop today! it sucked.
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby suchiaruzu » May 19, 2001 @ 7:01pm

Really? Why not makin' a better version? I like the idea of the game...
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » May 20, 2001 @ 9:03am

I like that XGalaxy game. you take over plants and stuff. Its simpland cool. (and it was free with red hat 7!)
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby SonicSilicon » May 20, 2001 @ 11:03pm

SonicSilicon
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions