This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Pocket Visual C++

Pocket Visual C++

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 27, 2001 @ 11:25am

Moose or Chuck

Re: Pocket Visual C++

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 28, 2001 @ 1:36pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 28, 2001 @ 2:03pm

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 29, 2001 @ 3:03pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Digby » May 29, 2001 @ 4:47pm

Digby
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 29, 2001 @ 5:03pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 29, 2001 @ 8:42pm

I don't know if that would help (petitioning MS, etc). Part of the problem is that there are 3 mainstream processors used by CE, so you would either have to generate only applications for a single type of processor (of course the type of processor for the device you're using), or you would have to have 3 compilers, 3 assemblers, 3 linkers, and 3 complete sets of libraries (make that 6 if you include debugging support). I've actually thought about this a bit, and there exists GPL source code for several very good compilers. I have not studied compiler design (at least formally), but it should not be too difficult to modify a compiler for use with a different type of processor. A compiler that generates highly optimized code is another issue, and is completely processor specific, but I think that for most purposes the idea is to generate solid, bug free applications on the go. So just bread-and-butter compilation would do. Again, the problem is that there are 3 different processors. Each would have to be created from scratch, and would be a completely separate project. If you built each compiler for each type of processor (ie, so I could build a MIPS program on my iPaq), you would have 9 different compilers. :) Again, I think you and I are thinking along the same lines here, so creating an app that will run on the device it was compiled on is that main idea. I'm thinking more along the lines of prototyping and minimizing down-time on the go, more than "I'm going to turn off my finely tuned Windows 2000 developement machine and sit in front of my Pocket PC and write a game from scratch". <br>In case you're not familiar with C and how it is turned into an executable, there are basically 3 steps (three separate programs) involved. Some development tools may combine these steps into less than 3 standalone tools, and others break it down into even more pieces. But generally the three applications are:<br>C (and/or C++) Compiler: Converts the C source code into assembly source code for the target type of processor.<br>Assembler: Generates a hunk of machine language code (an Object file) from an assembly source file.<br>Linker: Combines all the Object files of the project, with all the needed external LIB libaries (like stdio, the Windows API, etc), and generates the end output file (An Executable, DLL, or LIB file).<br><br>So when you talk about creating a C compiler, you're talking about creating all 3 of the applications above to support a single type of CE device. There could actually be a 4th component, which would be a gui development environment. You could of course use Pocket Word for code editing, but it would be much better to at least have a syntax coloring, smart-tabbing C editor that would automically launch the compiler, assembler, etc, like the Make tool.<br>I think I stayed under a thousand words! ;)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 29, 2001 @ 10:10pm

well, moose until then, why not write the code in word, then just test when uu return home. I would find that the easiest. means u'd have to debug when u got home but whaa whaa don't cry.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 29, 2001 @ 11:05pm

It looks like some degree of work was done to modify gcc to build for MIPS Windows CE devices:<br><br>He gave up in August of 2000.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 30, 2001 @ 9:59pm

well moose, there is your project, u must port GCC over, and then figure out a way to squeeze out the crap from the SDK to make it fit on a ppc.
Moose or Chuck

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions