This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

MIPS?

MIPS?

Postby MIPSUSER » Jan 24, 2004 @ 6:27am

MIPSUSER

Postby sponge » Jan 24, 2004 @ 7:17am

MIPS outnumbers ARM 3 to 1? I call BS on that. Ask any developer the ratio of ARM/MIPS purchases, ARM will absolutely slaughter MIPS, even more so nowadays. In either case, the engine has gone through a GREAT amount of modifications since those betas, so it's possible that it can no longer keep up with the game.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby MIPSUSER » Jan 26, 2004 @ 5:39am

MIPSUSER

Postby sponge » Jan 26, 2004 @ 6:11am

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby Jaybot » Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:37am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby MIPSUSER » Jan 26, 2004 @ 9:52pm

OK, thanks for your consideration. I agree, Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment Systems, and Gameboy Pockets probably outnumber ARM Pocket PC's by a longshot, but how many of those machines use a Pocket PC operating system? I'm simply referring to maximizing a market, I'm not requesting unreasonable porting expectations to devices that don't even have the same operating system. If it can even manage 10 frames per second in most parts, that would be plenty playable for most users, I think.

Sponge, ARM's are outselling MIPS nowadays, but there are few MIPS powered PPC's around in today's market for sale. So many MIPS were sold in the early days of these devices, that's probably why they outnumber the newer devices by such a wide margin.

Also, your claim that ARM versions of games are outselling MIPS is a little puzzling. Have you reviewed the sales results for games that support MIPS and ARM versus the ones that only support ARM? Some striking differences that don't suggest ARM only games are outselling MIPS. The sales results line up nicely with how many devices are actually out there as one would expect.
MIPSUSER

Postby sponge » Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:04pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby MIPSUSER » Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:30am

MIPSUSER

Postby pocketlamer » Feb 10, 2004 @ 5:04pm

pocketlamer

Postby icantsay » Oct 13, 2004 @ 5:22am

icantsay

Return to Anthelion