This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Quake video drivers

Quake video drivers

Postby pragma » Jan 24, 2001 @ 7:44am

I was considering converting this but found it hard to find info for the video driver. That is a opengl software driver. How did you get around this problem Dan?
pragma

Re: Quake video drivers

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 24, 2001 @ 4:42pm

If I had any Gumption I'd massacre my Voodoo2 card to try to stuff it into a CF Type II Port to run Quake on Hardware OpenGL. But since I have a MIPS E-125 I won't try that yet.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Jan 25, 2001 @ 5:19pm

Quake is an older game.  When it was released standards like GL and Direct3D were in their infancy (if they even existed at all).  Thus Quake contained its own 3D rendering engine (how else could it run in MS-DOS).  That 3D engine is what is used in the Pocket PC port.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Grimores Ascain » Jan 26, 2001 @ 1:13am

Why not port it to the new jornada handheld(the 720) as well? surely its powerful enough for the job
Grimores Ascain

Postby Mark (KILzt) » Jan 26, 2001 @ 6:59am

Dan,<br><br>Hehe Direct3D didn't exist, but OpenGL was still around before Quake and in a similar (v1, not v1.1 or v1.2) form to what it is today. However only SGI systems could actually run it and then soon after, 3Dfx.<br><br>Quake was actually being played in OpenGL through an SGI system at ID Softwares offices long before a good public 3D card came along. I can remember seeing the first every pictures of SGI OpenGL Quake.. jaw dropped.<br><br>These days my jaw only drops for Halo now and again =), oh and RedFaction is pretty spiffy.
Mark (KILzt)

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions